Toyota Teases New 4-Runner

I don’t know why the forerunner is referred to as a direct competitor to the bronco.  Yes, they are both off-road vehicles, but the forerunner doesn’t have a removable top or doors so to me, they don’t compare.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tbone said:

I don’t know why the forerunner is referred to as a direct competitor to the bronco.  Yes, they are both off-road vehicles, but the forerunner doesn’t have a removable top or doors so to me, they don’t compare.

I own a bronco and I would definitely cross shop a 4Runner. They are just different niches in the off-road vehicle market. The removable roof was not a factor in the purchase of my bronco, I just like the looks. 

I like what I see so far on the 4Runner. Hope the front is more Land Cruiser than Tacoma, but I don’t think that will be the case. 

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

I own a bronco and I would definitely cross shop a 4Runner. They are just different niches in the off-road vehicle market. The removable roof was not a factor in the purchase of my bronco, I just like the looks. 

I like what I see so far on the 4Runner. Hope the front is more Land Cruiser than Tacoma, but I don’t think that will be the case. 

i understand your perspective, but for me, I just don’t see it. I would not cross shop these vehicles, because a vehicle with removable parts has considerations that a vehicle without does not.

The new Land Cruiser does look pretty good, especially for a Toyota, so I’m with you on the design cues from the 4Runner.  

• ice-capades changed the title to Toyota Teases New 4-Runner

Evem though I could care less for Toyota's lineup, I have started to appreciate the 4 Runner more and more.  When I met my next door neighbor for the first time he had a 98 or 99 4 Runner that had well over 200k miles and he was using it has his daily while his Corvette was only used for fun.  Sadly he lost it 2 years ago on a drive back from Orlando the engine gave out on him I think it was the timing chain.  He replaced it with a CRV and kind of hates it but went with it cause it was cheap. He talks about how much he misses the 4 Runner all the time and how he wants another one to replace his CRV but they are just so expensive now especially used ones.  

I had a 4 Runner on a company trip a couple of years ago to Ft. Lauderdale so I stopped by my house before I left with it to load up all the gear I needed and had my neighbor check it out and he loved it.  It drove like a truck and got lousy fuel economy even with a 4 cylinder but it had a charm to it for being a rock solid body on frame SUV.  

I bought my 04 Aviator AWD last year and my neighbor loves it too said it reminds him of his 4 Runner and I agree it drives pretty similar to the rental I had.  I have been driving that daily while my MKZ is used rarely these days and I have been seeing a lot of 4 Runners on my commute.  

12 hours ago, tbone said:

i understand your perspective, but for me, I just don’t see it. I would not cross shop these vehicles, because a vehicle with removable parts has considerations that a vehicle without does not.

But not everybody cares about removable tops or doors and they just like the styling.  I once cross shopped a Lincoln LS sedan, Mustang GT convertible and a Mercury Cougar coupe.  I just wanted something fun to drive.  Ended up with the LS V8.

10 hours ago, akirby said:

But not everybody cares about removable tops or doors and they just like the styling.  I once cross shopped a Lincoln LS sedan, Mustang GT convertible and a Mercury Cougar coupe.  I just wanted something fun to drive.  Ended up with the LS V8.

If they had offered a non-removable top on the Bronco, my brother would have chosen that option.  He will never remove the top. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 8:54 AM, akirby said:

Which is why it would be great if they would bring the Everest here to compete with the 4Runner.  Seems like it would be a no brainer since it’s a platform mate and there’s room in the lineup for it.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tbone said:

Which is why it would be great if they would bring the Everest here to compete with the 4Runner.  Seems like it would be a no brainer since it’s a platform mate and there’s room in the lineup for it.  

Where would they build it?

3 hours ago, tbone said:

Eh.  The Everest, like most AUS designs it seems, looks a generation old. It looks like a Durango with a Ranger front clip. It would lead to confusion with Explorer and Expedition sales, and add marginal sales. 

A fixed roof Bronco makes more sense. 

The new Land Cruiser is the first Toyota in a long time that I liked the look of. 

7 hours ago, tbone said:

The Everest is a good product, but I just don't see the appeal over a bronco. It would make more sense to develop a fixed roof bronco imo. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sullynd said:

The new Land Cruiser is the first Toyota in a long time that I liked the look of. 

Toyota design has done a massive 180 for me, I used to view their cars as the ugliest in the industry. For some time, their designs had no cohesion, or flow to them. Look at the most recent Avalon, it's a nice, subtle sedan, then you get to the front, and it has this massive, aggressive grille. Just one of many examples of design elements clashing. 

The current rav 4 and lc 500 were massive turning points for Lexus/Toyota design. They kept the Japanese quirkiness, but toned it down, and managed to create designs with a better sense of flow and proportion. The newest MR2 concept looks incredible. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sullynd said:

Eh.  The Everest, like most AUS designs it seems, looks a generation old. It looks like a Durango with a Ranger front clip. It would lead to confusion with Explorer and Expedition sales, and add marginal sales. 

A fixed roof Bronco makes more sense. 

It’s interesting that you say that because I have had a number of friends who know I’m a Ford fan ask me about it after seeing pics of it, saying they like it.  So you may thinks old looking, but there will be people that like it.  

I personally don’t think it would confuse anyone as it does not resemble any of those vehicles.  That’s what your marketing department is for.  Hyundai seems to manage similar vehicles in the same market segments, so I don’t see why Ford couldn’t. 

In respect to your comment, isn’t that basically what the 4Runner is?  An old design that people still buy.  The work is already done in the Everest, so incremental sales could be acceptable.  

3 hours ago, tbone said:

It’s interesting that you say that because I have had a number of friends who know I’m a Ford fan ask me about it after seeing pics of it, saying they like it.  So you may thinks old looking, but there will be people that like it.  

There were people who wanted a Monaro and Commodore too. Not enough to make them viable stateside tho. 

I do wish there was a fixed roof option for the Bronco. I have no desire to remove the top as good weather days are few and far between where I live. It's just not worth having to live with the creaking and wind noise that comes with a removable top.

47 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Ugly.  It looks like they took something chiseled and pumped it up too much with a tire pump to where it looks bloated.

Looks like a skinny kid wearing a fake muscle suit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

It’s been revealed

https://www.4runner6g.com/forum/threads/2025-4runner-photos-specs-🔥-trailhunter-trd-pro-off-road-platinum-trims.1283/

It’s ok. I like the profile. The rear side window reminds me of the early 4 runners. Front looks good on the trd pro, but looks bloated on the blue one.

Absolute garbage. Does Toyota still employ professional designers?

14 hours ago, T-dubz said:

real-life-2025-4runner-photos-4-jpg.3509This pic makes me wonder how you even get in the back seat. That looks like the smallest door I’ve ever seen.

Probably an illusion due to the black trim over the wheel well.  I imagine that piece opens with the door.