Ranger vs. Colorado vs. Tacoma Comparison by MotorTrend

2024 Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Chevrolet Colorado: Midsize Trucks Throw Down! (motortrend.com)

Chevrolet’s updated Colorado is an impressive truck—impressive enough to have won our coveted Truck of the Year award for 2024. It’s worth noting the Colorado and its classy near-twin, the GMC Canyon, were the only midsizers in this year’s TOTY competition; the 2024 Toyota Tacoma wasn’t yet available, and the 2024 Ford Ranger was held up by strike-related shortages. Now, however, we’ve gotten our hands on both promising rivals. We know they’re greatly improved over their predecessors, but can they topple the Chevy?

• Like 1

MT said they used the trucks to haul furniture to their new offices- It would've been nice to have pulled a trailer with each truck. A Trailer Tow transmission mode was not mentioned, and I don't know if the other two have it, but the Ranger's is very well thought out and provides for smooth acceleration and deceleration. It also works better unladen than the standard pattern in stop & go/slow & go traffic, IMO. Hard to believe this truck has the same size motor that my '84 Tempo had. 😜

What a funny review. So essentially the Colorado is the best vehicle all around but the Ranger is the best work vehicle and therefore the winner. Also seems odd to base part of your review on features you didn’t even test (towing), or features that not many people use (lane centering). 

The only real informative info that I got out of that review was that the ranger had a larger backseat area, which I was unaware of, and would be a huge plus for families.