MKR Concept The Hit of the Show?

ANTAUS

Well if Ford is seriously looking at moving the Explorer to a car (D2E platform aka Interceptor and MKR) platform, Ford would be totally brain dead NOT to build this car, in Addition to the Interceptor. Its nearly a slam dunk, I just hope we don't run into the same situation that Ford had with the Fairlane, they need to get this out on the Road by 2010 the latest.

Well if Ford is seriously looking at moving the Explorer to a car (D2E platform aka Interceptor and MKR) platform, Ford would be totally brain dead NOT to build this car, in Addition to the Interceptor. Its nearly a slam dunk, I just hope we don't run into the same situation that Ford had with the Fairlane, they need to get this out on the Road by 2010 the latest.

Ford always turns heads at auto shows. They need to start turning heads on dealer lots.....hear hear, I work at a dealership and THAT sums it up in a heartbeat, we may get a version however noting Ford's track record it will be watered down to become more socially acceptable to "ho hum" status so as not to offend the blue haired conservative buyers.

There are 3 reasons why Ford will build both the Interceptor and a production version of the MKR - Horbury, Fields and Mulally.

Lets see how much more generic/ watered down/ and bland they become before they are brought to market...hmmm, probaly 3 years from now when the hoopla has already settled....

"Lets see how much more generic/ watered down/ and bland they become before they are brought to market.."

You might call it watered down, but remember, the front end of the R is not collision-regs compliant, so it has to change, and probably the rear, too.

What I don't want cheapened is the level of fit-and-finish of the window and roof glass.

therein lies my apprehension about Concept cars...they have no grounds in reality and make the ACTUAL production vehicles look pale in comparison...they border on a waste of time and $. I remember the Triton concept, the Lightning concept, the Adrenniline ( sorry bout the spelling ) NONE made production ( closest was the F150 after regressing 10 years ),now we have some additional stunners as in the Lincoln, the Jaguar and the Interceptor ( a touch heavy in the front but out 300c's the Dodge ) only to probably be told "Sorry" in order for us to appease the feds etc we couldn't make the car look half as good as the concept...so why design a concept that isn't compliant in the first place...

If Ford moves the Explorer to a car based platform, they will be aligning themselves pretty much like Ford of Australia already is with their Flacon-based Territory. This is why Ford of NA should be sharing development with FoA. Ford could have a whole family of cars in various body styles and SUV's based on one basic platform.

There are 3 reasons why Ford will build both the Interceptor and a production version of the MKR - Horbury, Fields and Mulally.

Well if they want to continue to have credibility as designers and company leaders they had better make good on their proposals or they are gonna look like ass...

I am just thinking back to the days when people used to buy a car they liked, kept it a few years and used to be excited to get a new design of the same model when they became available. Ford needs to create vehicles that make people want to buy again. The can't do it by continuing to produce the same old car for 10+ years, nor can they do it with a portfolio of boring product when the competition offers better looking better contented products.

But is that really what people want? I think consumers tastes have changed in numerous ways. I'm sure for most, they'll start with sometihng small like a Focus during school, then maybe move up to a Mustang after they graduate, then probably a Taurus if they get married, then the Freestar if they have kids, possibly the Expedition when they get big and fat, then probably a Town Car when they retire. Thats usually how brands are structured.

I myself have always had RWD/V8 coupes, it's just for the past 6 years, I've gone thru 3 LS's because Ford didn't/doesn't make a luxury coupe as what I always had.

I'm not crazy about the MKR--liked the Continental a few years back much better. But I know other people like it, so I figured it would win one of the four design awards. Nope. Instead they went to the CTS, the Chrysler Nassau concept, the Jeep Trailhawk concept, and the Kia Kue concept.

So apparently professional designers, who did the voting, don't think much of the MKR. Even though I'm not crazy about it, I thought it was far better than the Nassau.

But is that really what people want? I think consumers tastes have changed in numerous ways. I'm sure for most, they'll start with sometihng small like a Focus during school, then maybe move up to a Mustang after they graduate, then probably a Taurus if they get married, then the Freestar if they have kids, possibly the Expedition when they get big and fat, then probably a Town Car when they retire. Thats usually how brands are structured.

I myself have always had RWD/V8 coupes, it's just for the past 6 years, I've gone thru 3 LS's because Ford didn't/doesn't make a luxury coupe as what I always had.

It's ironic that almost everything underneath the MKR is actually LS. Not much Mustang.

It's ironic that almost everything underneath the MKR is actually LS. Not much Mustang.

Do you have something to back that up? Everything I've read is that it rides on a stretched Mustang platform and the IRS was originally designed for the Mustang but later shelved due to cost (i.e. bean counters killed it). It was resurrected for the MKR concept.