Lincoln Focus?

With gas prices continuing to rise, maybe something smaller slotted under the MarKZee might work?

Maybe take the Volvo S40 and Lincolnize it? Maybe with the 2.0L EB I-4, or even the 2.5L I4 in the escape and tweak the heads a bit...something TSX like ?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With gas prices continuing to rise, maybe something smaller slotted under the MarKZee might work?

Maybe take the Volvo S40 and Lincolnize it? Maybe with the 2.0L EB I-4, or even the 2.5L I4 in the escape and tweak the heads a bit...something TSX like ?

Where's that MKY picture when you need it?

I forget where/when it was (maybe NAIAS in 2007), but I think it was Mark Fields talking about Lincoln's future plans and insinuated that a C-class vehicle was being considered for the line-up.

However, they need a true RWD platform ala BMW, Lexus, Mercedes to pull it off, imo. How hard would it be to turn the C1-2 into a rear-wheel drive chassis? That with a 1.6 EB with 190 hp/190 tor would be plenty as a base engine with the 2.0 with 275/280 on top.

I forget where/when it was (maybe NAIAS in 2007), but I think it was Mark Fields talking about Lincoln's future plans and insinuated that a C-class vehicle was being considered for the line-up.

However, they need a true RWD platform ala BMW, Lexus, Mercedes to pull it off, imo. How hard would it be to turn the C1-2 into a rear-wheel drive chassis? That with a 1.6 EB with 190 hp/190 tor would be plenty as a base engine with the 2.0 with 275/280 on top.

That's the only way it could work, a Lincoln Focus would be a disaster, BMW didn't go FWD for the 1 series..

Slotted where pricewise, the S30 is $30K and is as small as a VW Golf.

BMW designed and builds the MINI, and it's certainly FWD. And, word is that the forthcoming MINI SUV will share its chassis with a BMW - the X1. Not sure if that qualifies, or not.

Mini SUV will be AWD they are also considering a AWD Mini Pick-up truck. BMW could be tempted to build the soft-roader at its factory in Spartanburg, South Carolina, particularly if a pick-up truck variant was added to the line-up.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...03775/mini.html

Move over the F-150 the Mini Pick-Up is coming it will carry huge loads like 10 loafs of bread on bed, and tow dingy boats and broken down tonka toys.

car_photo_210320_25.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

A Focus based MKY would be a mistake. For marketing reasons, it would confused customers. They won't know whether Lincoln sells American luxury or little Euro style VW like cars. It would just fail to get new sales and hurt Lincolns image.

A better idea would be to set up a separate brand to sell small cars in Lincoln dealers. Kind of like BMW selling small cars under the MINI name.

What would be the best name for this new division? There really is nothing wrong with the name Mercury. If you don't think about cars, the Mercury name brings up images of being modern and fast.

A Focus based MKY would be a mistake. For marketing reasons, it would confused customers. They won't know whether Lincoln sells American luxury or little Euro style VW like cars. It would just fail to get new sales and hurt Lincolns image.

A better idea would be to set up a separate brand to sell small cars in Lincoln dealers. Kind of like BMW selling small cars under the MINI name.

What would be the best name for this new division? There really is nothing wrong with the name Mercury. If you don't think about cars, the Mercury name brings up images of being modern and fast.

I was about to post something like this, but I scrolled down and saw you did it. Rather than kill Mercury, make it useful by doing this.

I Lincoln is going to sell upmarket small cars under a different brand name, would it be easier to sell Mercurys as smaller and mores expensive cars, or just to sell Volvos in Lincoln dealers.

Do you sell Lincolns, Volvo, and Mercurys in the same dealerships? I does not make sense to sell small expensive Volvos in the same dealerships with bigger cheaper Mercury's. Long term one of the three divisions with need to be killed off.

You don't see the Porsche's & Ferrari's of this world doing cheap and chearful FWD just to save and knock a few bucks off production costs.

Porsche doesn't need to save money. They're trying to buy up VW for crying out loud. Ferrari isn't hurting for money either.

@ Harley Lover: As far as MINI goes, BMW continued the project when they let go of Rover, who had originally developed the car. No extra platform development took place on BMW's part. OTOH, BMW just shortened the 3-Series platform to make the 1-Series.

I could see a Lincoln based on the next compact platform, with a mix of Mazda3/Volvo S40 driving characteristics.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

I think the reason Volvo S40 sells at the $28-35K range is mainly because they aren't really turning much of a profile importing them from overseas which is why they are looking at Ford plants in N.A. But it's equivilant stablemate the Mazda3 for a better example, could be easily Lincolnized once the platform evolves into the next generation. Make it AWD standard so it works in conjunction with other Lincoln vehicles... Maybe deduct a good 200lbs from it as well with lighter materials, and use a EB 4 cylinder for it.

Naturally, the next MarKZee will grow in size and probably in price so the higher optioned out version will top out, at the price where the MarKqueS starts...thats "usually" how it's done.

The new MarKY could start at $25K, maybe hit $30K optioned out.

And I surely hope it's not named M-KY...I'm having sexual thoughts there...

IMHO, width is important, to prevent that "squeeze" feeling.

Oh yeah that's so true Ed,

Nothing like getting into a smaller car and still feeling roomy - that's the key to encouraging downsizing.

Make people feel like they're not losing anything but instead, gaining everything in efficiency.

Btw, if you look at a 2" x 2" stretch on a C1 Focus, you get close to the current Fusion internal dimensions.

How about "Merkur"?

Merkur likely came from some MBA who thought an American car maker could use a German name that no body has ever heard of to sell cars to people who want to buy BMW's. Since the name happens to mean Mercury in German, then God must be on there side.

I hope he got fired.

Since very few people even knew what a Merkur was when they were being sold, no one would know what it is today.

By the way I loved the cars. To bad they couldn't market them.