Local Flex sales

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mini vans and station wagons as near as I can tell.

that would be my guess...and perhaps people tired of their Yukons and Expeditions with no need for huge towing capacities but occasional 7 seat needs....my favourite so far is a white SEL w lt stone int, vista, 40/40 middle seat and a few other do dads...36k...REALLY classy, and for me at least the seats are more comfortable than the Limiteds....and not a big fan of the Aluminum rear bezel....

... no matter how you candycoat it, it's still a station wagon. :reading:

question...so?......also a minivan interpretation...then again same could basically be said fior ANY vehicle with 7 seat capacity........

Edited by Deanh

question...so?......also a minivan interpretation...then again same could basically be said fior ANY vehicle with 7 seat capacity........

Well, here is the real rub. At its price point, most people who need a 7 capacity vehicle already own an Explorer or Expedition. The problem is these vehicles are now dropping in value like a lead baloon. Without the ability to use the trade in value from these vehicles to purchase a Flex, then sales are going to languish.

I paid $33,000 for a fully loaded 2006 Mountaineer with nearly every option that listed for $39,000. The vehicle only has 14K miles and is now worth less than $10K on trade-in. I would be a total moron to step into a $35,000+ Flex due to the huge hit it will take on residual value in tomorrow's market. So, I plan to just keep the Mountaineer. No matter how high gas prices go, it can't possibly equate to a $23,000 loss in two years.

Well, here is the real rub. At its price point, most people who need a 7 capacity vehicle already own an Explorer or Expedition. The problem is these vehicles are now dropping in value like a lead baloon. Without the ability to use the trade in value from these vehicles to purchase a Flex, then sales are going to languish.

I paid $33,000 for a fully loaded 2006 Mountaineer with nearly every option that listed for $39,000. The vehicle only has 14K miles and is now worth less than $10K on trade-in. I would be a total moron to step into a $35,000+ Flex due to the huge hit it will take on residual value in tomorrow's market. So, I plan to just keep the Mountaineer. No matter how high gas prices go, it can't possibly equate to a $23,000 loss in two years.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public

A lot of those people probably own older Explorers and Expy's or minivans that have already reached their maximum depreciation. I figure my '02 Explorer isn't going to take much more of a hit on trade in since it was only worth 8k last year. I'll drive another year in hopes that the Eco-Boost Flex will be ready by then.

When you compare the Flex to its competition, it is right in the middle of price and fuel economy stats. What it does have is a unique look in its class. GM's Lambdas all look very similar. I think Flex will be a big success even in this tight market. People will still be buying cars and the Flex's styling will give it an "Edge".

true...but 24 mpgs on paper may tempt those with pink slips...and also those tired of the Mini-vans....AND sway some that were initially cross-shopping said Tahoes and Odesseys...I swear...those that LEASED their Expeditions and Explorers, Tahoes and Suburbans must be breathing a sigh of releif.....now tha manufacturers must be $hitting bricks...imagine the losses being taken at the auctions on lease returns....

I'm sure you will see lots of aftermarket pieces for the Flex once it is readily available. The Chrome strips aren't bad. Not my taste though.

I guess they're not horrible, but as you said, they're not my taste either. I don't like how the rear has 2 rows of chrome strips while the sides only have 1 row of chrome strips.

so our flex cant be sold yet and has to go to the body shop, didnt see it till today but the left door handles are blue and the right are chrome. what happend to the hold for QC?

That's funny. I wonder what the person who noticed that thought? Hopefully it wasn't a customer, that would've been embarassing.

it was a customer actually. but she thought it was unique (spelling?) and is coming back to buy it and wants it left as is. :shrug:

Back 50 years ago, my father was managing a Ford dealership in Toronto. Ford of Canada made Meteors, which was a Ford with Mercury chrome trim, so that Canadian Mercury dealers would have a Ford-proced vehicle for sale.

Anyway, one day a customer comes in with a 6 month-old Ford. He had just discovered that the driver's side trim was a Ford, but the passenger side was trimmed to be a Meteor.

That's funny. I wonder what the person who noticed that thought? Hopefully it wasn't a customer, that would've been embarassing.

When I bought my 06 Escape, the day I did pick it up at the dealer it had 2 tires with no white letters on one side and the other side had them.

Good thing I did spotted it and pointed it out to the sales man

I couldn't believe how many times the vehicle went into inspection and nobody spotted the non matching tires

I had a friend that had a '94 Taurus SHO that had chrome window trim on the drivers side and black trim on the passenger side. The really sad part was that he didn't notice until he had the car for over a year. :hysterical:

The chrome trim was there so you'd know which side was the drivers side. :hysterical:

I had a friend that had a '94 Taurus SHO that had chrome window trim on the drivers side and black trim on the passenger side. The really sad part was that he didn't notice until he had the car for over a year. :hysterical:

I disagree.... The sad part is that QC didn't fix this and the other screw-ups noted here. :shades:

I wish they would have filled all of the strips.

Not surprisingly, the Flex with the funky chrome strips is still there. I took my Dad to see it last night and he thought it looked great.

My Dealership is building quite a large inventory of Flexii now, the ones still on the lot do not have the vista roofs so I think that might be the problem.

What, did Americans all simultaneously become sterile? People are still having children. Families are still growing. People will still need "upgrades" from the sedan that got them through college and their first born. Just instead of buying that first Explorer or Expedition (you aren't contending that all previous Explorer and Expedition sales were to repeat buyers are you?) they might just get into a Flex instead.

I think some consumers spending habits in relation to what "society perceives", is what has driven some specific segments. IN the 80s and 90s, the mantra was, "If you had a family, you HAD to have a minivan"...in the late 90's till recently, "If you have a family, you HAD to have an SUV", then currently, "if you have a family, you HAVE to have a crossovers".

Choices were easier in the 50s/60's..."if you HAD a family, you HAD to have a 4 door sedan". Not many segments in those times. Although culture has changed now a bit, everything getting bigger, peoples fat asses getting lazier...So many will probably not be able to get their family into a sedan...I mean, last time I checked there were 3 seatbelts back there, but the parents will certainly make an excuse as to why they can't have something so "tiny". Or the sedan doesn't have a DVD player to keep little Timmy quick (a good slap I would be a better alternative).

I dont think many so much understand the whole SUV/crossover differentiation, that probably a car based crossover might be more fuel efficient than a truck based SUV. I believe most will see "oh it's big, I need something lighter and smaller to save gas", and will otherwise avoid anything "big" no matter what it's based on.