AWD

Ford is the only volume maker out there that offers AWD on ever car it makes (excluding Focus & Mustang). However, nobody else, including the Japanese, are doing this. Why not?

Is this strategy paying off for Ford? I thought for sure that AWD availability would make Ford sedans very desirable for people stepping out of big SUVs and trucks. But how much volume do these vehicles account for at Ford? Is this a smart strategy since AWD also effects MPGs?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford is the only volume maker out there that offers AWD on ever car it makes (excluding Focus & Mustang). However, nobody else, including the Japanese, are doing this. Why not?

Go test drive an AUDI or a Subaru or an Acura RL. As well, M-B's 4-Matic is an option on E & S-class, and BMW's 3 and 5 series sedans.

As to why not a more extensive adoption, it's not necessary for low-powered vehicles and markets where it never snows, so it remains an option for all but Subaru. :)

Go test drive an AUDI or a Subaru or an Acura RL. As well, M-B's 4-Matic is an option on E & S-class, and BMW's 3 and 5 series sedans.

As to why not a more extensive adoption, it's not necessary for low-powered vehicles and markets where it never snows, so it remains an option for all but Subaru. :)

I love AWD on my Fusion, however the only place I see a benefit is on wet, snowy, icy, or slushy roads. It doesn't make any difference on dry pavement, but in those conditions it is great. I think Ford is smart offering this on at least their mid size and full size sedans. I am not sure they need every car to have it, but offering it on larger volume models is a good thing. It sets them apart and they need that.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I would take an AWD over a FWD or RWD any day on less then optimal road conditions.

Looking at Ford sales, I would say very little. I also notice very few AWD Fusions and Tauruses on Dealer lots. That tells me not many are being ordered or wanted by most. AWD is expensive option and drops down fuel mileage significantly. Also I don't think AWD is needed much on a FWD vehice. If Ford made more RWD vehicles, it would probaby be more in demand. I see AWD as being more popular on luxury vehicles like MKS and MKZ, but not on mid priced vehicles. I see it more on very powerful vehicles that Ford doesn't make much other than Mustang and Ecoboost MKS. It's good that Ford offers it and I hope they continue it especially with Ecoboost and hoped for powerful RWD vehicles, but not a factor in most sales.

Fords use of AWD comes from the use of flexible platforms and marketing experimentation.

The Edge has AWD, so it cost nothing to offer it on the Fusion. The Taurus X has it, so it cost nothing to ofer it on the Taurus. etc. When we get the Kuga, no reason why we cant' get AWD on the C2 Focus. If the Next Explorer and Mustang go to a GRWD, then it would be possible to get AWD on a Mustang.

AWD is an easy way to get a little more money out of the custom and appeal to a larger customer base. It also overcomes some of the short comings of FWD. They only need to sell very few cars with AWD to profit from it as long as it comes as part of a flexible platform. If no one buys it, then Ford can just drop it and they have lost very little.

the system sells pretty well on the edge but not so much on the fusion, but the vast majority of escapes are 4wd. not sure if the system in the escape is 4wd or an actual awd system

and awd comes in handy in more then bad weather conditions. it can help with off the line acceleration and if you end up swerving to avoid say an accident.

The Escape uses the same AWD system as the Fusion, Taurus, Edge, and Flex. It is a FWD based system that only activates when slip is detected on one of the drive wheels. The system can transfer almost 100% of power to the one end that has traction........... and I believe even to one tire.

It completely seamless, and you will never know it is working. It is also far superior to most other AWD systems, in its transparency.

Due to the fact that it does add weight, this is where you lose mpg, but not much. As the vehicle is FWD unless needed, it is not active very often.

Take rate of AWD depends on market. In the Valley, unless someone ski's alot, the take rate on AWD is very low. Here, where we do get snow and ice, and it is mountainous, the take rate is high (over 50%). Offering it as an option on most of their vehicles is fantastic, and one of the reasons that Fords are primary on my possible purchase list. I will not have a non AWD car/cuv.

Looking at Ford sales, I would say very little. I also notice very few AWD Fusions and Tauruses on Dealer lots. That tells me not many are being ordered or wanted by most. AWD is expensive option and drops down fuel mileage significantly. Also I don't think AWD is needed much on a FWD vehice. If Ford made more RWD vehicles, it would probaby be more in demand. I see AWD as being more popular on luxury vehicles like MKS and MKZ, but not on mid priced vehicles. I see it more on very powerful vehicles that Ford doesn't make much other than Mustang and Ecoboost MKS. It's good that Ford offers it and I hope they continue it especially with Ecoboost and hoped for powerful RWD vehicles, but not a factor in most sales.

I'd have to disagree with you on the RWD/AWD take rate and demand. Being from the midwest, it was never easy to snatch up a BMW xi or MB 4Matic as they were never in abundance on dealer lots.

I've yet to drive a Fusion AWD, but I'd be curious in terms of driving dynamics vs. that of the FWD version. If there is a fundamental difference then yes I could see owning one in the south.

the system sells pretty well on the edge but not so much on the fusion, but the vast majority of escapes are 4wd. not sure if the system in the escape is 4wd or an actual awd system

and awd comes in handy in more then bad weather conditions. it can help with off the line acceleration and if you end up swerving to avoid say an accident.

The majority of Escapes in Metro Detroit in last couple years are FWD, and not 4WD. Yes, a significant number of Escapes are 4WD, but more are FWD, especially over last year of so with such high gas prices. I would say that 70% of Escapes on Dealer lots around here are FWD only.

Or here in MN...

Your winters are horrible. Our winter here in Montreal last year was horrible.

I park on the road at night as I am in an apartment block. I am at the mercy of snow plows.

I had front wheel drive with damn good winter tires last year. This was not enough. On several occasions, I came out and saw that the snow plows had piled snow on my car and in my way. I spent a good deal of time having to get every last snow pile out of the way.

Why do you insist that AWD is not beneficial? Is it because you come home to a driveway that has already been plowed in the morning?

Its the same thing when I go to work. The plows pass during the day on streets near work. It doesn't matter - we are at the mercy of plows.

AWD is indeed beneficial.

Edited by MarkFive

Or here in MN...

I'd challenge your Crown Vic at a snow packed icy intersection for take off ability and acceleration with my Fusion AWD any day of the week. Might not seem like a big deal, but if you have someone sliding through the intersection the opposite way and you have to get out of there quick AWD is a lifesaver.

AWD is a GOOD thing in the North. It really does make a difference and if anyone thinks different they are just afraid of new technology or don't want to give Ford any credit. In bad weather I'd take an AWD over a FWD and especially a RWD for any driving situation either in town or on the highway. I know some claim that RWD only is the best in snow and ice, but I don't buy that. Never have. Never will.

Your winters are horrible. Our winter here in Montreal last year was horrible.

I park on the road at night as I am in an apartment block. I am at the mercy of snow plows.

I had front wheel drive with damn good winter tires last year. This was not enough. On several occasions, I came out and saw that the snow plows had piled snow on my car and in my way. I spent a good deal of time having to get every last snow pile out of the way.

Why do you insist that AWD is not beneficial? Is it because you come home to a driveway that has already been plowed in the morning?

Its the same thing when I go to work. The plows pass during the day on streets near work. It doesn't matter - we are at the mercy of plows.

AWD is indeed beneficial.

It is beneficial for people who don't know how to drive. The AWD in my Mom's Escape is the most useless piece of garbage I have ever seen. We had a big snowstorm last year with 4-6 inches ON THE ROAD. My open-diff RWD car did just as good as my Mom's Escape.

If you know how to drive, AWD is not necessary. I have yet to be stuck in my car...unlike all of the 4X4 and AWD vehicles I see in the ditch every time it snows.

It is beneficial for people who don't know how to drive. The AWD in my Mom's Escape is the most useless piece of garbage I have ever seen. We had a big snowstorm last year with 4-6 inches ON THE ROAD. My open-diff RWD car did just as good as my Mom's Escape.

If you know how to drive, AWD is not necessary. I have yet to be stuck in my car...unlike all of the 4X4 and AWD vehicles I see in the ditch every time it snows.

so, P, imagine someone of your driving prowess with the well documented superior traction of AWD...wow....watchout Lewis Hamilton..........

The AWD in my Mom's Escape is the most useless piece of garbage I have ever seen. We had a big snowstorm last year with 4-6 inches ON THE ROAD. My open-diff RWD car did just as good as my Mom's Escape.

Do you call 4 to 6 inches on the road a snow storm? I am talking about 20 inches at least 7 times last winter. 4 to 6 inches is a snow shower here.