2011 Explorer Mule Spied Upclose

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a couple of you that this vehicle seems pointless.

I sure the hell hope Ford does not think you can keep fooling the public by having a modified Taurus X with a Flex front end and call it a explorer.

This has to be a mule of different sorts-surely Ford would not be that stupid to let it run around town with little or no camelflouge (?). I don't want to commit to much more than that because it will only be negative.

Having a bit of trouble with the concept of "test mule"?

I dont think the traverse aspect of it will make a difference to anyone, we have had FWD LHS sedans with NorthSouth layouts, FWD/AWD Passat/Audi4-6 I believe also have NorthSouth drivetrains. I dont think Ford would take the time to make such a change for that, rather keep it as a traverse layout. I think they will just take the essense of what makes the Explorer and Explorer and try to alter it to what D3/4 might have to offer. They will have to beef up the structure to allow it to tow, at least up to 5000lbs. and at least be able to go off road a bit.

Ford has too many crossovers.

Explorer should stay on the market as SUV. Explorer is still outselling both Flex and Taurus X.

Incentives and fleet volume will help that...and sales continue to fall. A next-gen Explorer will pick up profitable volume.

Ford has too many crossovers.

Explorer should stay on the market as SUV. Explorer is still outselling both Flex and Taurus X.

The current Explorer need a minimum volume of sales to make a profit. This make it vulnerable to high fuel cost and a bad economy. The CUV Explorer is an extension of the Flex.. It can make a profit with very little sales. If no one buys Explorers, just build a differnt car in the same plant using many of the same parts. I would also make big profits with high sales.

These types of mules are to prove out things you can not see. Changes to the powertrain, brakes, etc. All though in this case they did put on the integrated trailer hitch/rear bumper that is not available on the Taurus X !

Big note. If the Explorer was only a Flex with a different body, then they would wait until they build the new body before testing it. To be testing it with this kind of mule, they must have made major changes to the things that you can't see. My guess is that Ford has added greater capability. We know that it has greater ground clearance. With the big changes, a lot of testing is required.

Why not use the name "Territory" ?

After all, that was the name FoA chose for their Explorer replacement .

makes no sense - like Taurus, Explorer is a weidely known name ..

Ford will be introductnig a whole slew of new names to the market: Fiesta, Ka, B-Max, C-Max. They are still working to spread the word on Fusion, Flex, and Edge .. let alone the whole Lincoln line and everything from Mercury besides Mariner and milan .. they do not need to add to that ...

Explorer is a great name and it has cachet .. and it will ride well on that .. jsut watch the sales of Taurus take off next summer .. 2nd gen 500 would not do nearly as well.

Igor

• 1 month later...
the explorer is shifting to car platform. people are worried about performance but the grand cherroke has always been on a car platform

Trying to remember what car uses a straight axle front and rear suspension....possibly you mean a uni-body "car-like" structure? There is no car in any ChryCo line of vehicles that even remotely resembles the Grand Cherokee in chassis structure, it is strictly a SUV type of design that was done as a uni-body chassis from the get-go.

Trying to remember what car uses a straight axle front and rear suspension....possibly you mean a uni-body "car-like" structure? There is no car in any ChryCo line of vehicles that even remotely resembles the Grand Cherokee in chassis structure, it is strictly a SUV type of design that was done as a uni-body chassis from the get-go.

He meant unibody as opposed to BOF.

• 6 months later...
I've read that the 2011 explorer is going to be a unibody is that true?? They need to keep it a full frame SUV

Why does Ford need another unibody crossover..

Explorer will be unit body. Based on the D3 architecture. And it's tit for tat. Taurus X goes away. Explorer moves in.

And well, just so you know, it won't be a crossover.

These are also unit body:

2008_jeep_grand_cherokee_green.jpg

2006%20Range%20Rover%20Sport.jpg

Are those "crossovers"?

It'll be a lot more this:

13explorer-600.jpg

than this:

FordTaurusX.jpg

Edited by NickF1011

Explorer will be unit body. Based on the D3 architecture. And it's tit for tat. Taurus X goes away. Explorer moves in.

And well, just so you know, it won't be a crossover.

These are also unit body:

2008_jeep_grand_cherokee_green.jpg

2006%20Range%20Rover%20Sport.jpg

Are those "crossovers"?

It'll be a lot more this:

13explorer-600.jpg

Bring it on...I am in the market. Any ideas when this is going to launch?

My cousins husband is a Sales Mgr. He told me he was told the Explorer is finished after 2009. Does that just mean in its current format? BOF SUV

Markfnc, I can tell you that the current BOF Explorer will continue into the 2010 model year. I currently have one on order. I have another thread on that.

From what I have read on this forum is that the Explorer will go to a uni-body, not a unit-body, in 2011. So if you want the current BOF SUV, then you better get your 2010 on order now.