Ford Fusion Smokes Camry Hybrid on Fuel Economy

silvrsvt

Yeah, gotta love them! Always tearing a company/product down rather than applauding it's acheivement.

This is my favorite one

"In addition, foreign companies are de-tuning and raising rear end ratios as we speak, and doing it on their long time production platforms...economically. Whereas American mfgs. have to re-tool, drop clunky platforms and cubic inched engines and redesign. Big difference in $$$$$."

and they are still talking about Ford using Toyota's hybrid technology when Toyota came out and said that Ford was using a separate system. In college we get hounded for not citing our sources, yet a guy at Business week won't get in trouble for saying an outright lie.

This is my favorite one

"In addition, foreign companies are de-tuning and raising rear end ratios as we speak, and doing it on their long time production platforms...economically. Whereas American mfgs. have to re-tool, drop clunky platforms and cubic inched engines and redesign. Big difference in $$$$$."

and they are still talking about Ford using Toyota's hybrid technology when Toyota came out and said that Ford was using a separate system. In college we get hounded for not citing our sources, yet a guy at Business week won't get in trouble for saying an outright lie.

import brainwashing will be a never ending battle it seems.....

That’s is a neat trick considering that Ford utilizes some of Toyota’s hybrid technology.

And there's the official David Kiley blooper.

Can't have a Ford article without one.

As for the reader comments. Anyone idiotic enough to confuse FINAL DRIVE with REAR END doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.

I think they just aced the 2011 Camry Hybrid - well done Ford!!!!

A huge pull ahead of technology considering they could have just used the current Escape set up.

Now Toyota can feel what it like to follow Ford for a while.:)

Edited by jpd80

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat...gn_id=rss_daily

though I gotta love stupid reader comments!

Best Reader Comment Ever:
delicia lewis

December 29, 2008 01:15 PM

Ford Fusion Smokes Camry Hybrid on Fuel Economy, Is this really the headline you should be using for Ford Products

" Smokes" Where there's smoke there's fires" The 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII my son was driving was branded a beautiful, ahead of it's time luxury vehicle. That turned out to not be able to make it to 90K miles, before it burned my 22 son and his girlfriend to death. Of course Ford denies this, and will be dragging our families through the courts for years, but this mother will never stop until justice is served.

:hysterical: I wish that story was true...

David Kiley changed his article after I exposed his flawed argument. Here's the comment I left and the response I got,

"Dear David Kiley,

According to your article, you insinuate that Ford is utilizing Toyota's hybrid technology by saying, "That’s is a neat trick considering that Ford utilizes some of Toyota’s hybrid technology" . Yet, Doron Levin, a Bloomberg Columnist corrected this mis-perception on April 22nd, 2004 in his article entitled "Ford disputes View its Hybrid is a Toyota".

Officially Toyota has been gracious toward the Escape hybrid. ``We're thrilled that there's another manufacturer entering the hybrid arena,'' said Irv Miller, Toyota's group vice president for communications. ``It adds further to our belief the technology is viable.''

Levin goes on to say, "Miller acknowledged the accuracy of Ford's version of events regarding the patent agreement. ``They thought their software was close enough that they wanted to protect themselves,'' he said".

source:

Levin, Doron. "Ford Disputes View That Its Hybrid Is a Toyota". Bloomberg. 12/29/08 .

From Kiley: I never said that the ford was a toyota....simply that ford utilizes some licensed technology from toyota...."

I believe the accident was real. I am skeptical as to the claim that the cruise control switch caused the car to catch fire before the crash.

http://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com/homepa...eadpicturestory

Oh I wasn't disputing that the accident happened. I just don't see how her son's lack of attention span and horrendous driving skill has anything to do with the faulty cruise control switch.

In any case, that switch was recalled years ago. VT--> :finger: <-- Delicia Lewis

This article from 2006:

LINK

Ford buys parts for its hybrid vehicles from Aisin Seiki, a supplier that is partly owned by Toyota and part of its global network of parts-making companies. Ford and Aisin have had disputes over the number of parts Aisin was willing to make available for Ford vehicles.

Maybe using a different system on Fusion Hybrid neatly side steps Aisin Seiki's parts supply issue?

Typical snot response I'd expect from a guy who argued that the fulltime AWD Jaguar X-Type was "FWD biased"

NOTICE:

"LICENSED TECHNOLOGY FROM TOYOTA"

Nothing on that car came FROM Toyota.

As I recall it was more of a technology swap, they licensed software from Toyota in exchange some emissions control technology. Specifically I believe that it was the software that manages blending the regenerative brakes with the friction brakes.

As I recall it was more of a technology swap, they licensed software from Toyota in exchange some emissions control technology. Specifically I believe that it was the software that manages blending the regenerative brakes with the friction brakes.

Actually, I believe it was a patent swap. Ford already had the hybrid tech but decided it too similar to Toyota's system, so they swapped some Ford patents for the Toyota hybrid patents to avoid potential litigation.

Actually, I believe it was a patent swap. Ford already had the hybrid tech but decided it too similar to Toyota's system, so they swapped some Ford patents for the Toyota hybrid patents to avoid potential litigation.

Yes, but Ford has publicly said that the 2010 Fusion does not use those Toyota licensed patents. They must have redesigned the software to avoid that problem. So now they can't even use that against Ford.

I believe the accident was real. I am skeptical as to the claim that the cruise control switch caused the car to catch fire before the crash.

http://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com/homepa...eadpicturestory

So has there been a resolution that you know of, or is it still in litigation?

When was the recall issued for the 1993 Mark VIII? How long had he owned the car? Was the driver wearting a seat belt? Where was the blunt force trauma located at (head, abdomen, etc) Just a couple items I'd like to know, to determine understand each position for the prosecution/defense. Did Ford go thru all the channels required in notifying the owner of the recall? Did the owner have a chance to have the part recalled or did they just blow it off?

The loss of life is truly tragic, no matter who's at fault. But I can't say whether or not the switch was truly at fault, don't know if the poster of this story on business week is really the father or just someone trying to use his identity in the post for dramatic affect.

Oh I wasn't disputing that the accident happened. I just don't see how her son's lack of attention span and horrendous driving skill has anything to do with the faulty cruise control switch.

In any case, that switch was recalled years ago. VT--> :finger: <-- Delicia Lewis

the car was a Mark VIII (Thunderbird)

That would have been a different cruise switch.

David Kiley is a jackass.

First he says the Escape Hybrid uses pieces of Toyota's hybrid system.

Then he says Toyota probably could have gotten more milage out of the Camry Hybrid if they really wanted to.

Then he mentions Detroit bailouts and private jets.

THEN he finally talks about the subject of the headline.

What a tool. :finger: