Some advice needed... Please

Oil  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What do ya think

• Normal oil
    • Mobil 1

Hey all,

I am looking to get a long long time out of my wife's 08 Taurus X Limited AWD. What do you guys think about going with Mobil 1. I have heard a lot of good things about it. Here are the details. Its got 11,000 miles on it and she does "hard" miles.... 95% stop and go. Only about 7,000 miles per year. So.... what do ya think? Worth it? And if so what would the time and miles be still 6 months or 7500 miles?

Thanks for your advice!!

Steve

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, there is a reason that Ford gives you the optimum oil specs and change intervals, and AFAIK Mobil 1 isn't on the list of requirements.

Unless you expect to be particularly lax in your maintenance, I see no reason to spend the extra cash.

Although your owners manual MAY have a more frequent oil change schedule based on the scenario you describe.

If it helps:

I've got 156,000 miles on my 1993 Ford Ranger with nary an oil leak or any oil consumption, and I change the oil about every 6 months or 4-5K miles, whichever comes first.

Hey all,

I am looking to get a long long time out of my wife's 08 Taurus X Limited AWD. What do you guys think about going with Mobil 1. I have heard a lot of good things about it. Here are the details. Its got 11,000 miles on it and she does "hard" miles.... 95% stop and go. Only about 7,000 miles per year. So.... what do ya think? Worth it? And if so what would the time and miles be still 6 months or 7500 miles?

Thanks for your advice!!

Steve

Motorcraft offers a full synthetic oil. You can get the extra level of protection, save some cash, and support FMC and your local dealership. WIN, WIN, WIN!

Motorcraft offers a full synthetic oil. You can get the extra level of protection, save some cash, and support FMC and your local dealership. WIN, WIN, WIN!

I did not know that. And I should have.... I will look into it. As good as Mobil 1 you think??

I did not know that. And I should have.... I will look into it. As good as Mobil 1 you think??

it probably IS Mobil one....last i lookes motorcraft didn't own, or have their own seperate refinery.....personally I'm a Castrol man, but use Motul semi synth in the Aprilia....works fine....

Edited by Deanh

I have all my oil changes and other fluid flushes done at my local Ford Dealer. Gives me chance to check out latest coming from Ford, and more importantly, if anything goes wrong Ford did the work and they have computer record of everything done. Once a year I have Ford do The Works oil change and they rotate tires and check all my systems and note if anything needs special attention. I don't shop price and go to just anyone for auto service. I have heard a lot of stories about some teenager at local oil shop screwing things up and ruinging engines and shop owner won't stand behind work. I want Ford doing my work and would rather deal with them than some mom and pop down the street.

Might want to read this, like any article it should be taken with a grain of salt but it gives you something to think about.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article0012...1.cfm?x=b11,0,w

A Nov. 20 letter by Valvoline technical director Thomas Smith to its customers and marketers reiterated that claim, and then stirred the pot further by saying testing with an independent laboratory indicated Mobil 1 5W-30 does not meet minimum API SM or ILSAC GF-4 specifications because of its inferior performance in the Sequence IVA engine wear test. Vehicle manufacturers recommend consumers only use oil which meet those minimum standards.

Personally I use Motorcraft 5-20 Semi-Synthetic in my 2002 F-150. I use this truck to pull a camper and tow cars with so it sees hard use. I'm very anal about oil and considered using a full synthetic in the past but IMHO if you keep the oil changed as scheduled full synthetic's are wasted money.

BUT.....if you live in an area with extremely cold winters a full synthetic would be an outstanding idea. When I was stationed in Minot, North Dakota I used Mobil 1 because it would flow at extremely cold temps while other oils wouldn't. Bottom line, if Mobil 1 gives you piece of mind then it's worth it.

Might want to read this, like any article it should be taken with a grain of salt but it gives you something to think about.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article0012...1.cfm?x=b11,0,w

A Nov. 20 letter by Valvoline technical director Thomas Smith to its customers and marketers reiterated that claim, and then stirred the pot further by saying testing with an independent laboratory indicated Mobil 1 5W-30 does not meet minimum API SM or ILSAC GF-4 specifications because of its inferior performance in the Sequence IVA engine wear test. Vehicle manufacturers recommend consumers only use oil which meet those minimum standards.

Personally I use Motorcraft 5-20 Semi-Synthetic in my 2002 F-150. I use this truck to pull a camper and tow cars with so it sees hard use. I'm very anal about oil and considered using a full synthetic in the past but IMHO if you keep the oil changed as scheduled full synthetic's are wasted money.

BUT.....if you live in an area with extremely cold winters a full synthetic would be an outstanding idea. When I was stationed in Minot, North Dakota I used Mobil 1 because it would flow at extremely cold temps while other oils wouldn't. Bottom line, if Mobil 1 gives you piece of mind then it's worth it.

Is there independent confirmation of Valvolines claims?

Mobil 1 has been showing high Fe in used oil analyses for the last couple years, I think Valvoline just took notice and is basing a marketing blitz on M1's current weakness.

Motorcraft full-syn (and semi-syn, and all their motor oils actually) is made by ConocoPhillips and the same oil can be found under both the Motorcraft and Kendall brands. They are good oils, Motorcraft Semi-Syn is probably the best oil value right now; it nearly rivals many group III "full synthetics" in performance for less money than many conventional oils.

Most major label 5W-20 oils meet Ford's WSS-M2C153-H spec, including M1.

Pennzoil Platinum is the best readily available mainstream API SM "synthetic" oil going right now, but boutique oils (Amsoil, Redline, Renewable Lubricants Inc) remain the best oils overall; however, you pay for it.

So I would vote for neither option. I vote for Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic if on a budget, Pennzoil Platinum is you are willing to spend a little more, and Redline if you are willing to spend $9/qt. You'll get great performance from any of those three.

Edited by White99GT

Mobil 1 has been showing high Fe in used oil analyses for the last couple years, I think Valvoline just took notice and is basing a marketing blitz on M1's current weakness.

Motorcraft full-syn (and semi-syn, and all their motor oils actually) is made by ConocoPhillips and the same oil can be found under both the Motorcraft and Kendall brands. They are good oils, Motorcraft Semi-Syn is probably the best oil value right now; it nearly rivals many group III "full synthetics" in performance for less money than many conventional oils.

Most major label 5W-20 oils meet Ford's WSS-M2C153-H spec, including M1.

Pennzoil Platinum is the best readily available mainstream API SM "synthetic" oil going right now, but boutique oils (Amsoil, Redline, Renewable Lubricants Inc) remain the best oils overall; however, you pay for it.

So I would vote for neither option. I vote for Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic if on a budget, Pennzoil Platinum is you are willing to spend a little more, and Redline if you are willing to spend $9/qt. You'll get great performance from any of those three.

Wow a ton of info thanks for your input! I am thinking if I do run the full synthetic to go with the motorcraft.

Im no expert but bob is the oil guy is the place to go for answers.

I have seen a lot of cars run a long time on regular oil. The main advantage of synthetic is longer intervals in most cases. I have run both. The average guy will never see the benifits of synthetic in my opinion. It may let you sleep better but thats about it. Oil is a whole lot better than it used to be.

If you run pennzoil, motorcraft of what ever just keep it and the filter changed regularly and you will be fine. Only my Mustang sees synthetic and its probably a waste to be honest. Just change it no matter what you run in decent intervals.

The one main advantage (IMO) to running synthetic seems to be the cleaning agents. I've torn down several engines that had over 150K on them. Appears to me that the ones that use synthetic are always clean on the inside and the conventional ones seem to range from clean to sludged.

Just my experience.

I run Mobil 1 in the Mach and Motorcraft in the daily drivers. I use Motorcraft filters for all. Although if I know I will be racing the Mach I will use a FRPP Ford Racing Filter. Probably not needed for the amount I do, but oh well . . . .

http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html

Here is a site where the guy has disassembled filters with pictures and discussion for comparison purposes. The Motorcraft FL-820S, and Ford Racing version of it are quite different. The Ford Racing filter has more media and more filter pleats for even higher levels of protection. A real good site for all those "filter hawks" out there....

A company called SOMS Technologies has created a new kind of oil filter. Actually, it’s two in one. Inside it has a standard filter element that catches big stuff, and a micro filter for much smaller particles. It’ll catch stuff down to two microns. The company claims engine oil can be kept fresh for way longer than normal, up to 30,000 miles. The filter gets replaced at every other oil change and the oil level topped off.

http://www.microgreenfilter.com/

Even still every dealership that I've ever went to recommends oil changes at 3K.

You think that just might have a little something to do with cash flow?

Dealers aren't making the money off of oil changes, more like a loss leader. Throw in the free safety inspection and topping off of fluids It's basicly a break even. They may however try to "upsell" a needed or not needed service in order to make some cash.

P.S. I have mine changed every 3k at the local (12 miles away since my dealership folded) dealer.

EDIT: Motorcraft filter and oil of course.

Edited by Ron W.

The one main advantage (IMO) to running synthetic seems to be the cleaning agents. I've torn down several engines that had over 150K on them. Appears to me that the ones that use synthetic are always clean on the inside and the conventional ones seem to range from clean to sludged.

Just my experience.

It may not be the synthetic oil that makes a difference. A car owner that uses synthetic oil would tend to be more conscientious about regular oil changes.