LINCOLN CONCEPT C

I don't mind the styling of the C concept car, Ford will probably not make it anyway, but a lot of the technology found in this concept may find their way into future Ford models.

A 180hp 1.6 liter EcoBoost mated to a dual-clutch PowerShift transmission... now thats interesting.

Edited by AM2

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, the concept C...

As a tech demonstrator, passable.

As a funky electric or advanced hybrid, might just work.

As a specialty kit for Golf Kart conversions, could see some sales.

As a standard add on, as is, to the Lincoln lineup, MAJOR FREAKING MISTAKE!

Thank God its a concept and will likely be heavily changed before it ever sees production, if it ever does.

Would have been FAR better as a Mercury.

I'm starting to warm up a little bit to the design, especially the rear quarter view. For some reason, it looks substantially better in real world photography. I really like the greenhouse, probably because it's impossible to manufacture since it's so thin. After the Flex, I wouldn't be surprised if this is an actual product under development.

Hey, it is interesting as a CONCEPT. The exterior styling does nothing for me, but I like the direction of the interior. An open passenger compartment is a breath of fresh air today, given the designers current infatuation og the "cockpit" style interiors where the front seat (driver and passenger) is two walled off compartments that are more separated from each other in each interation. In the Concept C a guy and gal could actually get close to each other!

Yes, they are taking the Lincoln grille way too far, it's far too deep on the MKT and a little too far on the MKZ. I'm mortified they are going to do this to the MKX face lift. The MKS got it right, and that's about the only car that has. Just like the Fusion and Edge got the three bar grille right, but the Taurus, Taurus X, Flex, etc... did not.

The biggest problem I have with it is the 'trunk' area....they should've just made it a hatchback or something.

I think this is really just a concept only and will never go into production just like a lot of other odd looking concepts we've seen before.

I remember last year, they mentioned that the smallest Lincoln will be a mid-size sedan (MKZ?).

"Mercury and Lincoln will complement each other, Derrick Kuzak, Ford's global product chief, recently said in a Detroit News report. Lincoln will start with midsized sedans and move up from there."

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercury-alive-...m-vehicles.html

I think Ford shouldn't have showcased their new tech/engine in an odd looking Lincoln concept because instead of talking about the new cool 180hp 1.6 liter EcoBoost and dual-clutch PowerShift (that we will most likely see in a future production Ford model), people are talking about the styling of a Lincoln concept that might not even go into production.

Edited by AM2

I think this is really just a concept only and will never go into production just like a lot of other odd looking concepts we've seen before.

I remember last year, they mentioned that the smallest Lincoln will be a mid-size sedan (MKZ?).

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercury-alive-...m-vehicles.html

I think Ford shouldn't have showcased their new tech/engine in an odd looking Lincoln concept because instead of talking about the new cool 180hp 1.6 liter EcoBoost and dual-clutch PowerShift (that we will most likely see in a future production Ford model), people are talking about the styling of a Lincoln concept that might not even go into production.

I think that announcement you cited is even more reason to question the concept's existence. Making it a Mercury would've eliminated all these problems. I mean, if they're not going below MKZ, why have a C-segment concept, especially when that (small cars) is supposed to be Mercury's new direction?

Making a small Lincoln isn't a daft idea but it needs to be executed very carefully. This concept is not the answer in my opinion it just doesn't look right.

One option may be to look at what other similar car makers are doing. I don't mean BMW or Mercedes, but the next tier of car makers like JLR and Alfa Romeo. Both of these too companies have sneakly started changing their pricing policies. Alfa Romeo deliberatley priced the Berera (a 3 series rival) so that it was more expensive and more exclusive than the 3 Series BMW and whilst they don't get BMW volumes they get good profits. Jaguar admitted a few days ago that it is thinking of replacing the X type with a "completley different replacement" but that such a new model would cost a lot more than the X type. Land Rover is going to price the small LRX so that it's much more expensive than the BMW X1.... These car makers are all planning to stuff their models full of sexy new toys so they can out perform the likes of BMW and Mercedes but they will charge a higher premium.

The danger is Lincoln make a car that's no match for the 1 Series BMW, price it too low, struggle for volume and then lose out on profit. SAAB and Jag have both proved in recent years that going head to head with BMW, Audi and Mercedes is very difficult indeed. Lincoln needs to learn from this as in all honesty it's in the same kind of boat really.

Happy new year to everyone and yes the Triumph's running great, thanks for asking.

Quirky like this may just work for Mercury. Lincoln is far too traditional for this sort of mess though.

I think being too traditional has been Lincoln's problem all along. Not saying this is a "nice design" but if you google some sites that showcase the car - the response isn't bad at all. Sure they'll target the 20-year olds but in reality it may be a big hit with 30 -somethings as it occurs with Scion. They key is price. $20K to start and max out at about $24,000.

It's a cute car.

I think being too traditional has been Lincoln's problem all along. Not saying this is a "nice design" but if you google some sites that showcase the car - the response isn't bad at all. Sure they'll target the 20-year olds but in reality it may be a big hit with 30 -somethings as it occurs with Scion. They key is price. $20K to start and max out at about $24,000.

It's a cute car.

Well, there is a difference between being traditional and being stodgy. The stodginess of past Lincolns needs to go, that much I'll agree with. But traditional luxury needs to stay. Look at Lexus as a good example of what I'm talking about. They haven't strayed far from the basic concept of what makes a luxury vehicle a luxury vehicle, and it works great for them. They've moved a bit off the mark a few times with things like the Lexus SC and IS-F, but those really aren't core to the brand either.

I think most of the positive comments you are seeing about the Concept C are from younger posters also, the demographic that probably won't be able to afford the car anyway -- another reason that making it a Mercury would probably work better -- you'd be able to ask less for it.

And for all things sacred, Lincoln doesn't and shouldn't do "CUTE".

Edited by NickF1011

I'm reading all of the really negative comments on this board about the C and I can't believe it. After years of bashing Ford for bland designs, finally there is something brought forth with some character and life and it gets this treatment. Unbelievable. I don't know how much skin in the game most of you have in this industry or with Ford but my livelihood depends on Ford products. I could sell this thing very well and I wholeheartedly welcome whatever version of this comes to my lot. Or do you all want to just give everything to Mini and call it a day? I am excited about the direction of Ford and Lincoln and it includes the C. I say bring it on. I can prove you all wrong on this vehicle.

I'm reading all of the really negative comments on this board about the C and I can't believe it. After years of bashing Ford for bland designs, finally there is something brought forth with some character and life and it gets this treatment. Unbelievable.

I don't like to say it, but I agree with your sentiment. As some posters have begun noting, outside the insular world of BON, a diverse group of people are lining up to praise the car. People with no vested interest in Ford. And, as BORG noted, it looks quite different when viewed in real world scenes. My first visceral reaction to this was BLECH. I still don't like it. But, I am willing to acknowledge that my taste isn't the only one that matters; I keep reading a substantial amount of positive comments elsewhere, particularly on a board I frequent that is comprised of mostly younger enthusiasts. If they like it, and if a lot of others like it, then maybe there's something going on here that escapes our view. If that's the case, then bravo Ford.

Edited by Harley Lover

I don't like to say it, but I agree with your sentiment. As some posters have begun noting, outside the insular world of BON, a diverse group of people are lining up to praise the car. People with no vested interest in Ford. And, as BORG noted, it looks quite different when viewed in real world scenes. My first visceral reaction to this was BLECH. I still don't like it. But, I am willing to acknowledge that my taste isn't the only one that matters; I keep reading a substantial amount of positive comments elsewhere, particularly on a board I frequent that is comprised of mostly younger enthusiasts. If they like it, and if a lot of others like it, then maybe there's something going on here that escapes our view. If that's the case, then bravo Ford.

What do you mean by "younger enthusiasts" though? If you mean guys who are 30-40, great. That's the demographic Lincoln really needs to try to capture more of. If you are talking about 15-25 year olds, personally, I don't think their opinion on any Lincoln should matter. They won't be buying one anyway.

Nice? That looks like the result of a Lincoln having sex with a Scion. Holy crap that is disgusting.

Now I have to take back my comment in the Cadillac Converj thread. Bad Ford. Bad!!

Having just gotten back from NAIAS at 5 AM this morning, I just want to say two things; first, no photos can do this car justice therefore I can't understand the comments posted here. If you saw it in the flesh you would have seen that except for some minor details -- which I expect might be changed by the time you see it at the Chicago show -- it's simply stunning. Second, concepts when best done, stretch the envelope and show POSSIBLE future design directions. Rarely do they get into production intact.

Rather than me comment here, I invite you to check out my C concept analysis and images at:

http://www.automotivetraveler.com/index.ph...&Itemid=194

I came away equally impressed by the new Taurus. My comments and analysis can be viewed at:

http://www.automotivetraveler.com/index.ph...&Itemid=194

Among the Detroit Three, Ford had the most clearly focused message and was hitting on all cylinders, no matter what you might think of the Lincoln C Concept.

Best wishes,

Richard Truesdell

Editorial Director, Automotive Traveler

http://www.automotivetraveler.com/home

Having just gotten back from NAIAS at 5 AM this morning, I just want to say two things; first, no photos can do this car justice therefore I can't understand the comments posted here. If you saw it in the flesh you would have seen that except for some minor details

Well, since I'll likely never see this car in person, I'll have to rely on photos. Besides, in all my years of following cars now, I really don't recall a single vehicle that I despised in pictures and then suddenly loved after seeing it in person. Is there a difference between photos and real life? Sure. Is it enough to turn Shrek into Cameron Diaz? No.

I think Ford and Lincoln are developing a new C-segment crossover similar to the Concept C, this is an early look at what they have coming. If the mood is right, this might be Lincoln's chance to carve a niche for itself. Remember the Navigator? :)

Edited by BORG

Well, since I'll likely never see this car in person, I'll have to rely on photos. Besides, in all my years of following cars now, I really don't recall a single vehicle that I despised in pictures and then suddenly loved after seeing it in person. Is there a difference between photos and real life? Sure. Is it enough to turn Shrek into Cameron Diaz? No.

I've seen Cameron Diaz in person, sans makeup, and believe me, the C concept looks better, much better. Don't believe me, then here's the proof.

20050316-beauty4.jpg

It's amazing what a little makeup can do.

I think that someone may have nailed it, the C concept is a trial balloon for one way a C-segment crossover can go. In talking with Freeman Thomas at the NAIAS, I know that they are considering alternatives to rear compartment access.

I hope that a few of you will venture over to Automotive Traveler and leave your comments, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I realize that it is a polarizing design and is clearly targeting younger enthusiasts but I'm way beyond that demo, and having seen it in the flesh, I love it. That being said, that packaging, applied to a Mercury-branded vehicle not shared with Ford, seems like a great idea to me.

Edited by autotronic