Ford to recieve federal development money

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090622/us_ford_energy.html?.v=3

ford has requested 5 billion for redeveloping plants for the production of green vehicles. The announcement will come Tuesday morning in Dearborn it is unsure if ford will get the whole 5 billion it has requested. .... Nothing new really.

This is the money that was appropriated over year ago before the financial meltdown to assist in the development of more fuel efficient vehicles...I'm sure Government Motors and the sons of a bitches at Flopslyer will try to claim Ford is just like them taking "bailout' money...nothing could be further from the truth...the media will be the first to mis-represent the facts and mislead the public...the state run media Obama has created will see to that

Edited by ironhorse

This is the money that was appropriated over year ago before the financial meltdown to assist in the development of more fuel efficient vehicles...I'm sure Government Motors and the sons of a bitches at Flopslyer will try to claim Ford is just like them taking "bailout' money...nothing could be further from the truth...the media will be the first to mis-represent the facts and mislead the public...the state run media Obama has created will see to that

Flopsyler :hysterical:

As I recall, one of the limitations of this money was the "financial viability" of the company. With both GM and Chrysler owing billions, I don't think they qualify any more !

And the media will eat crow if reported otherwise. :shades: But we all know that some reporter will get it all wrong anyway.

While the media still seems to like Obama,

1) he didn't create it

2) it isn't state run

3) media support could vanish quickly for many reasons, the media is fickle.

Why make this about Obama at all? The reseach money was already in the pipe line.

Edited by timmm55

Great News - I hope Ford receives the entire amount originally requested. I love that the article mentions that neither GM or Chrysler qualify for the program, owing to their financial status. At least this writer got it right!

The article also stated that neither will qualify for the first round of loans. That does not mean they would not be eligible for subsequent rounds if and when they return to viability.

The article also stated that neither will qualify for the first round of loans. That does not mean they would not be eligible for subsequent rounds if and when they return to viability.

Good point, I didn't notice that. But it'll be a cold day in hell (I hope) before we give them any more money.

I think you got that backwards, it was the Media that created Obama in the past year or so.

As if Obama didn't exist before a year or so ago? The media and the public only became aware of Obama because they liked what he had to say and he packaged it well. I am an Obama supporter, but he certainly used the media to create himself in the public conscience.

Back on topic?

As I recall, one of the limitations of this money was the "financial viability" of the company. With both GM and Chrysler owing billions, I don't think they qualify any more !

Do GM/Chryco NEED to qualify? THey're already getting billions from the gov't anyway.... :rolleyes:

Edited by rmc523

Ford has sought a total of $11 billion from the loan program and has previously said it would invest $14 billion in advanced technologies over the next seven years. The loan application, which was submitted by the company late last year, would help Ford finance the investment.

Ford has said it intends to bring several battery-electric vehicles to market. The automaker has discussed plans to produce a battery-electric vehicle van in 2010 for commercial use, a small battery-electric sedan developed with Magna International by 2011 and a plug-in electric vehicle by 2012.

That would be a gutsy move, borrowing $11 billion for electric vehicles and Plug In Hybrids.

Ford must be changing its mind regarding the roll out timing of electric and hybrids....

Does anyone know what the production plug in hybrid will be? I know Ford have plug in Escapes on the road, but presumably that technology could also be planted in the Fusion. Anyone know?

Plus, are there any plans for hybrid models beyond the existing two? I'm really curious if there are hybrid plans for one of the c-car variants planned for Louisville. It seems like a vehicle on that chassis would be a neat package. Maybe an S-Max? I can dream, can't I? ;)

Edited by Harley Lover

As if Obama didn't exist before a year or so ago? The media and the public only became aware of Obama because they liked what he had to say and he packaged it well. I am an Obama supporter, but he certainly used the media to create himself in the public conscience.

Thats the point I was trying to make...now back on topic ;)

That would be a gutsy move, borrowing $11 billion for electric vehicles and Plug In Hybrids.

Ford must be changing its mind regarding the roll out timing of electric and hybrids....

Seems like Ford has sense that while everyone else is down they need to step it up with new products..they have a window now to improve their fortunes

Their main chance isn't so much one of money at the moment, its time. While cryco and GM suffer significant new product development gaps due to their financial turmoil, Ford will be able to soldier on and maybe get a year or more of R&D in that their competitors won't have the money to do for a while. This will likely allow Ford to close whatever gap their EV/Hybrid development programs had with GM (technically speaking, the two mode system for the large SUVs is a decent peice of kit and the work on making the Volt volume producable and usable by normal folks is also sound). Arguably, the gap that existed was because Ford chose to go down a slightly different road, but, this allows them to continue to follow that road, and blaze new trails as well.

In other words, they will be working smart.................. as in, not having all of their eggs in one basket.

The 2-mode system is very good, with one MAJOR, glaring fault. It cannot be sized down, to go in smaller vehicles, at this time. The Vue Hybrid was going to be the only non fullsize application.............. and it was designed specifically for that vehicle. As a matter of fact, the system is so non flexible, that it will take over a year, for GM to be able to put it into the new Equinox (basically the same vehicle as the Vue, but updated platform).

Think of it along the lines of the first Gen Escape Hybrid system.