Could a Fusion SHO happen?

I've just been reading through the pile of initial SHO reviews, and they're pretty predictable:

Loads o' torque

Decent economy

Heavy car

Driver somewhat isolated

Great interior

Okay, so Ford has, in both the SHO and the MKS, the "poor man's S8". This is a grand thing, and I'm very pleased...

...and, as a fan of the marque, dissatisfied. I understand it's borderline impossible to make a two-ton sedan into a passionate driver's machine, but I fear treading too close to the "appliance" label that curses many Japanese cars among the real drivers. So while I applaud what's been done, I gotta wonder what else COULD be done.

Yeah, the Fusion makes a logical target for further upgrades. The "Sport" is supposedly quite nice if a touch nose-heavy (I still haven't read a full road test on it), but I wonder if the Ecoboost V6 and the SHO badge could be a good fit for the Fusion. I know it's more plumbing to wedge in there and various other upgrades would be needed...but I also am one of those people who like to see Ford building the best vehicles possible.

The Fusion's on a tear right now, and a segment-dominating version would only help its momentum. Just sayin'.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CD3 platform is ending in the near future so I doubt Ford NA will do an EB V6 Fusion

until the EUCD Mondeo is converted to the FWD/AWD CD4 Platform, then it's game on.....

Only my two cents and happy to be proved wrong......

Yeah, the Fusion makes a logical target for further upgrades. The "Sport" is supposedly quite nice if a touch nose-heavy (I still haven't read a full road test on it), but I wonder if the Ecoboost V6 and the SHO badge could be a good fit for the Fusion. I know it's more plumbing to wedge in there and various other upgrades would be needed...but I also am one of those people who like to see Ford building the best vehicles possible.

Ford already has the best Fusion possible for now: the Fusion Hybrid.

"Most powerful" != "best" -- at least it shouldn't be.

...and, as a fan of the marque, dissatisfied. I understand it's borderline impossible to make a two-ton sedan into a passionate driver's machine, but I fear treading too close to the "appliance" label that curses many Japanese cars among the real drivers. So while I applaud what's been done, I gotta wonder what else COULD be done.

But the problem is that you fail realize that the current SHO is still like the older SHO's...the Taurus has been always a larger car then Camry or Accord and it has grown at the same rate that those cars have since the 1990's

I think there is too much looking at the past with rose colored glasses then what was actually the truth. IIRC the older SHO's had big issues with Torque steer, which something the current car really doesnt have.

I like the original idea of Fusion getting a 2.0-2.5L version of EcoBoost.....plenty of power, lighten the nose, great economy. A win-win-win situation.

Imagine the 1.6 liter Ecoboost with 180 hp and 180 lb ft of torque right from down low.

Bottom end torque like that would give V6 performance and Focus like fuel economy.....

I like the original idea of Fusion getting a 2.0-2.5L version of EcoBoost.....plenty of power, lighten the nose, great economy. A win-win-win situation.

I concur. It is likely to happen when the next gen Mondeao/Fusion hits the streets.

Also, I don't think it is possible to squeeze the twin turbo 3.5L V6 into a Fusion. Besides, why steal the sales from the Taurus SHO.

It is too early to know how much power will come from the 2.0L EB. I don't know if they could fit the 3.5L EB.

Beyound the technical issues, it is a marketing problem. Do you want a Fusion SHO to steal sale away from the Taurus SHO? Do you want the Fusion SHO to steal sales away from the MKZ. Focus RS? Ford would have to pick and choose which small vehicles will get the 3.5L EB.

Imagine the 1.6 liter Ecoboost with 180 hp and 180 lb ft of torque right from down low.

Bottom end torque like that would give V6 performance and Focus like fuel economy.....

It worked (works?) for the VW Passat. 180HP and mid-to-upper 30s hwy mpg.

I'd see nothing wrong with Ford going that way, and was hoping for it when I first heard of Ecoboost.

Drive one for yourself.

'no soul' = 'wanted to say something bad, but couldn't say unrefined'.

Indeed. I am half-amused, half-displeased when I see blog entries where people claim that the Fusion Hybrid would be dull and not be for "people who love cars" when it is clear that they had not even as much as test-driven one.

Indeed. I am half-amused, half-displeased when I see blog entries where people claim that the Fusion Hybrid would be dull and not be for "people who love cars" when it is clear that they had not even as much as test-driven one.

Uh, I thought RJ was referring to the comment about the Taurus SHO?

Uh, I thought RJ was referring to the comment about the Taurus SHO?

Correct, but throughout this thread the discussion is whether a Fusion SHO is necessary. In my opinion, it's overkill. (I do think that the 4-cylinder EcoBoost would be a good idea down the road, but putting in a 6-cylinder EcoBoost is simply wasteful.)

Well I thought the next ten Fusion/Milan/Mondeo would not have ANY V6 in non performance tune, why should it? The EcoBoost I4 going into the Explorer and a ton of other products should make between 260-275 HP....why would you need the 3.5V6 at all? I bet that engine will be in the Taurus, Edge, Escape, And Flex before long, as well as in the Mustang and SVT Focus. I wonder if a performance tuned version making 300 HP could be used in a SVO Mustang and SVT Fusion?

Edited by ds91776

Correct, but throughout this thread the discussion is whether a Fusion SHO is necessary. In my opinion, it's overkill. (I do think that the 4-cylinder EcoBoost would be a good idea down the road, but putting in a 6-cylinder EcoBoost is simply wasteful.)

You're entitled to your opinion. but a MK Z or a Fusion with the 365 hp SHO running gear might do rather well with people who don't want or need something as big and heavy as the Taurus, but want something bigger than a Mustang. IMHO, BMW and AUDI dealers sure hope Ford thinks like you do. :)

Ford NA isn't run by Bob Lutz, which means that Ford isn't going to build cars for auto enthusiasts just for the hell of it. The EB V6 is in the Taurus and the Flex because it's already in their Lincoln platform mates, which need that power to compete.

The MKZ probably isn't going to get it because Ford isn't going to challenge low volume high performance luxury cars in its current state, and the Fusion won't get it unless the MKZ does.

Makings of a true sport sedan....

It would be great if Ford could make a model of the Fusion and MKZ that would compete with the BMW 3.

I would be willing to have less HP if torque and suspension were equal with the 3.

IMHO, this is what I see happening...

MkZ will eventually graduate to the D37. It MAY gain a 2.0L EB option.

Fusion will eventually have these three engine choices: 1.6L EB, 2.5L NA, 2.0L EB. I don't believe that the D35 will stick around in the Fusion for very long. I'm still not sold on the Fusion/Milan/MkZ/Mondeo being V6 capable and we may see the V6 disappear from the MKZ as well. A year ago, I would have slapped myself for saying that, but, with the latest mpg rules and with where fuel prices are going, that may be the face of the future.

I, personally, wouldn't want the D35 EB in the Fusion. That would be a whole lot of weight over the front axle. You're talking beefed up and heavier transmission, the weigh of two turbos, intercoolers, plumbing, etc on top of the D35. IT would have all the handling "problems" of the GT500 due to the weight on the nose. Now, a tuned to hell EB 2.0L making 280 hp and 280 lbs of torque with a reasonable torque curve and minimal turbo lag would be phenomenal. Lighter on the front than the D35 setup, better mpg on the highway, better handling balance. What's not to like? Considering the weight difference between that Fusion and the SHO, straight line performance will be similar and the Fusion will be noticeably better in the twisties. I also think that such a Fusion would have a better center of gravity as well.

Makings of a true sport sedan....

It would be great if Ford could make a model of the Fusion and MKZ that would compete with the BMW 3.

I would be willing to have less HP if torque and suspension were equal with the 3.

Ah, roll on power.

Sounds like 240 lb ft in a 3100 lb EB I-4 Fusion Vs. 350 lb ft in a 4300 lb Taurus SHO

Sounds like the Fusion might be just as much fun as the SHO for a lot less coin....