2011 Mustang engine specs leaked!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Nissan can get 330 hp out of their 3.7L V6 then why can't Ford get 315?

Remember it will be mounted longitudinally in the stang, not east/west like the MKS/Taurus, etc. which allows better exhaust options.

ones BASE engine does not need to be a rev meister.......

I have a hard time believing these numbers. A few days ago Fourcam on svt performance pretty much said the 5 O was good for 400hp but on 93 octane. While I would love to be wrong I expect both engines to come in at less than the rumor mill. I just dont see the 3.7 being 315 hp.

Based on todays specs for the 3.5L, 315 hp from a 3.7L is just an increase of just over 10%. This can be done using the iVCT from the Fusion alone. Add DI for another 10% and you get 345 hp. In 5 years, the 3.7L N.A. could approach EcoBoost HP, but not low rpm torque. This would be a good engine for an F150.

ones BASE engine does not need to be a rev meister.......

Why not? I think that if a base Mustang can compete with a 370Z, that would be a good thing. Let's face it, a 5.0 GT will probably get a big bump in price as well as the base 3.7 Mustang. If the base 3.7 Mustang is priced near today's 4.6 GT, then it will need performance comparable to today's 4.6 GT.

Why not? I think that if a base Mustang can compete with a 370Z, that would be a good thing. Let's face it, a 5.0 GT will probably get a big bump in price as well as the base 3.7 Mustang. If the base 3.7 Mustang is priced near today's 4.6 GT, then it will need performance comparable to today's 4.6 GT.

and price itself out of the market.....AND cost more to insure....AND thus sell less....AND......

Remember that the 3.7's current numbers are for a FWD application with a transverse mount, and in Mustang they'll be RWD with a longitudinal mount. 315 seems completely reasonable.

dont see it, especially from the entry level side, besides that, if figures like 315 are getting tossed around for the 3.7 sort of makes the 400 for the 5.0 seem abysmal. Not to mention 365 from the eco engine ( although we know THAT is harnessed )

Edited by Deanh

this may be off-base since I'm not that engine savvie

but

if the same proportions are applied to the 3.7 as the increases in the 3.0v6 with "PIP",

if the 315hp is on E85, the previous base hp would be 271

& per my database, the actual 3.7v6 has 270...

...is this too close for a co-incidence?

Edited by 2b2

dont see it, especially from the entry level side, besides that, if figures like 315 are getting tossed around for the 3.7 sort of makes the 400 for the 5.0 seem abysmal. Not to mention 365 from the eco engine ( although we know THAT is harnessed )

So what are the specs for the "entry level" Camaro?

Maybe the 3.7 is being prepared to replace the 3V 4.6 in the GT. With a 6 speed transmission with more mechanical advantage in lower gears, you wouldn't lose much acceleration (if any), and could get vastly improved MPG numbers. They do have to take those numbers up.

As I have said on other posts, I expect the 5.0 to debut with a "soft" tune and advertised at less than 400 HP the first year or so. Then bringing it up to it's probably already developed 400 HP level is just a matter of a minor tuning change. Just like they have done with the GT 500.

However....if the new 5.0 debuts in a new "Halo" ($) car of some sorts....then sure....probably curently developed HP right out of the box.

this may be off-base since I'm not that engine savvie

but

if the same proportions are applied to the 3.7 as the increases in the 3.0v6 with "PIP",

if the 315hp is on E85, the previous base hp would be 271

& per my database, the actual 3.7v6 has 270...

...is this too close for a co-incidence?

The 3.0L PIP consisted of a major overhaul of the 3.0L new heads, valvetrain, intake, etc. 3.7L doesn't, at present have that kind of a ceiling. Premium tune/DI -maybe-, but without DI, I don't think so. And I believe the 330hp 3.7L Nissan V6 has DI.

Whoa. I don't think it will have to run premium. It'll probably get an HP rating with an asterisk.

Like this:

3.7L V6 with 315 HP*

*Rating based on 93 octane fuel, 295 HP for 87 octane

Or something like that. Kind of like what other car makers out there do.

I think they could & I wish they would. BlueII mentioned a while back that with knock sensor technology, that Ford and many others will go start giving ratings based on 93 octane premium unleaded but not require it.

I think that's what it'll be. Just like Hyundai's figures for the Turbo 4 go from 210 on 87 to 220 on 91.

Why would you require 93 Octane in a BASE model?

Though this does lead to an very interesting possibility....if the 3.7L can do that, that leaves pently of room for the EB I4 to be the base engine and get great MPG's at the same time....hmmmm

Yeah, while those numbers may be achieved using 93, I would almost guarantee that 93 would not be required. As others have said, that'd be stupid to require it in your base model.

I think an M3 is 200lbs heavier, not lighter than the current Mustang GT...I otherwise hope this is accurate info as it sure sounds great.

Yeah it does. If true, that'd be awesome - a GT running with an M3 - makes you wonder how much better the GT500 will be......

That'd be a mistake bumping the V6's price up to GT level......will there be an increase, absolutely, but to GT level, I doubt. As Dean said, it'd price itself out of it's own market.

Meh. I don't buy these numbers.

The 315hp from the 3.7L seems especially far-fetched.

I would, however, expect 400hp from a 3.5L EB V6--given that it seems obvious the engine is being throttled back for the sake of the transaxle in the D3s.

It does seem far fetched, but this engine makes 273/270 in the MKS, figure less restrictive (and muffled) inlet setup, less packaging concerns with the intake manifold in the large bay RWD Mustang, possible dual exhaust, more aggressive tune and potential substantive improvements to the engine (TiVCT?) and it seems plausible.

The Cyclone is one of the better V6 engine families going right now, I wouldn't count it out if Ford puts some effort into it.