Newest explorer spy shots

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they have indeed, I believe I heard that Ford wants the 2011 Explorer to sell somewhere between 150,000 and 175,000 units. I think that's possible once the economy improves.

I don't know how they are going to do with in addition to building Taurui and MKS's in the same plant. I think Chicago can only do like 300K units a year

Footprints:

Explorer = 193 in x 84 in

Tahoe = 202 in x 79 in

Expedition = 206 in x 91 in

While the difference doesn't seem like a lot a Tahoe will fit in my garage and an Expedition will not. It is particularly too wide... I already have trouble getting both cars in the garage. And where we live is prone to hail-storms... So putting the car outside isn't an option. You see my dilemma...

And while I agree with a lot of you that the current Explorer situation isn't ideal, it doesn't cover up the fact that the Explorer fits a need in some circles. Just because we're driving around what some of you consider bland and boring doesn't mean we aren't car guys. That we blindly drive anything... Listening to the marketing BS vs. a close evaluation of our wants and determining the best car that fits those needs. Just because the Explorer isn’t politically correct doesn't make it a poor car (i.e. the POS comments).

As I said if the next Explorer is as capable as the current great... But if not it won't be on my list. And my second choice was a GM not a Ford.

Edited by Kris Kolman

Footprints:

Tahoe = 202 in x 79 in

While the difference doesn't seem like a lot a Tahoe will fit in my garage and an Expedition will not. It is particularly too wide... I already have trouble getting both cars in the garage. And where we live is prone to hail-storms... So putting the car outside isn't an option. You see my dilemma...

And while I agree with a lot of you that the current Explorer situation isn't ideal, it doesn't cover up the fact that the Explorer fits a need in some circles. Just because we're driving around what some of you consider bland and boring doesn't mean we aren't car guys. That we blindly drive anything... Listening to the marketing BS vs. a close evaluation of our wants and determining the best car that fits those needs. Just because the Explorer isn’t politically correct doesn't make it a poor car (i.e. the POS comments).

As I said if the next Explorer is as capable as the current great... But if not it won't be on my list. And my second choice was a GM not a Ford.

dammit, now I have to back a tahoe trade in up to an Explorer...Tahoe is THAT narrow??????

Footprints:

Tahoe = 202 in x 79 in

Where did you get your numbers?

Tahoe is 79" wide.

Expedition is 78.8" wide

Explorer is 73.3" wide.

A Raptor is ~87" and needs extra clearance lights on it for the width.

Footprints:

Tahoe = 202 in x 79 in

It has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with SALES. That's the bottom line. Ford can't afford to make a vehicle for a small group of buyers that doesn't make money.

Do you take off your mirrors before going into the garage? I pulled the width numbers that I thought best represented the real-world. Ford was nice enough to post the width and without mirror numbers... Chevy only said "overall width" that I assumed to be everything. As for the Tahoe being thin... Actually the latest Explorer were made very wide. I think it was a move to increase interior space, particularly the 3rd row which is quite roomy.

I understand the current sales situation no longer makes a bespoke Explorer platform. Although the ~4500 they sold in Sept was only exceeded by the Escape as far as SUVs and CUVs go. And Escape, F-Series, and Econoline as far as all trucks go. I don't have a problem with Ford decided to integrate the Explorer on a shared platform. My problem instead is that a car-derived FWD platform isn't the ideal choice. It would have been better if it was converted back to the Ranger platform, but that of course isn't a choice because the platform is ancient. Or even a US version of the Aussi Territory looks good, but then the US Falcon has only been dream. So I understand the choice of the D4, but I'm skeptical of the results. If only Ford had finished the F-100 or brought the Falcon over...

Edited by Kris Kolman

Do you take off your mirrors before going into the garage? I pulled the width numbers that I thought best represented the real-world. Ford was nice enough to post the width and without mirror numbers... Chevy only said "overall width" that I assumed to be everything. As for the Tahoe being thin... Actually the latest Explorer were made very wide. I think it was a move to increase interior space, particularly the 3rd row which is quite roomy.

The Tahoe's 79" is WITHOUT the mirrors included.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/specificat...-ltz_dimensions

If you guys are going to start arguing the width with/without side mirrors then perhaps

comparing something like internal hip and shoulder widths is a better yard stick.

It depends if your criterion is fitting into a garage or how much cabin room you have.....

For example,

Shoulder Hip Room:

Expedition - 63"/60"

Explorer - 59"/55"

Territory - 61"/60"

Makes you think that a D3 Explorer needs to have Territory like internal dimensions.....

Edited by jpd80