Ford Issues Largest Ever Recall

I do like that they're reporting that the part was a TI part... that helps save SOME face...

We determined with the government that there is a low risk of fires for those vehicles," Sherwood said. "The other 3.4 million vehicles are the remaining vehicles that have the Texas Instrument switch, so we're recalling them to reassure customers and prevent future recalls."

I am glad they are recalling these, but I wish they would have just recalled all vehicles with this switch from the beginning. I am surprised they made this a second recall instead of just adding these to the current 05s28 recall. Its the same recall harness to be installed. I changed a bunch of these on windstars for leaking fluid and cruise inop. None for fire yet. I guess the reason they didn't worry about windstars at first because that circuit is fused unlike the other recalled vehicles.

Does Texas instruments have to pay Ford for this recall? Its alot of vehicles.

In general, Ford eats all recall costs. Sometime they do negotiates with the supplier to absorb some of the cost, sometimes applied as "discounts" on future parts.

Firestone and Navistar will likely never be suppliers to Ford again because of their lack of willingness to share any warranty costs.

ouch.....

Ford was doing so good to!

I really don't think this will hurt them. These vehicles were produced years ago, so it's not going to affect recent quality improvements. The real issue will be in the minds of the consumers...hopefully they can pick out that these are old vehicles, but that's probably giving too much credit to most people. :(

Fordmantpw, bingo............... all you have to do, is read the thread on GMI, as proof of this.

The blind fanboys are dancing in the streets, and talking about how all of Fords quality improvements are a sham.

There is a good reason that I rarely post over there, anymore. The sour grapes are pretty strong.

Edited by Extreme4x4

Fordmantpw, bingo............... all you have to do, is read the thread on GMI, as proof of this.

The blind fanboys are dancing in the streets, and talking about how all of Fords quality improvements are a sham.

There is a good reason that I rarely post over there, anymore. The sour grapes are pretty strong.

Yep, especially against Toyota. There is no perspective. A properly installed floormat YOU AS AN OWNER can be responsible for, you can't for a bad cruise control switch.

If I had a new vehicle, say less than 2 years old, and I kept having to go in for recalls... I'd be pissed.

If I had a 5,6,7+ y/o vehicle and Ford was still willing to take care of me... I wouldn't think too badly of them.

And I'd be in the showroom looking at the newer, better Fords.

If I had a new vehicle, say less than 2 years old, and I kept having to go in for recalls... I'd be pissed.

If I had a 5,6,7+ y/o vehicle and Ford was still willing to take care of me... I wouldn't think too badly of them.

And I'd be in the showroom looking at the newer, better Fords.

hmmm.... good point. Its a ploy that might actually work!

It just looks bad when the media covers the recall with footage of new Fords :nonono: They cant seem to tell the difference :rolleyes:

Ford has just spent their "Get of of jail free" card.

One slip up with anything else to include new product launch will erase all of the good will the consumer may have developed with Ford during the past three years.... or with any other American 3 company.

There is a big difference between a recall that can be fixed by "remove the drivers floor mat"

and

Bring in your vehicle to fix a component that could short out and burn you vehicle... and house to the ground.

Cost cutting engineering and cheap parts are haunting Ford again. A recall like this is similar to the Firestone recall numbers.

It takes a long time to win a customers support, and one screw up to lose them for good.

It will be interesting to chart the return customers that this recall affects. I predict that less than 60% will buy another Ford product due to this recall.

Edited by mettech

Ford has just spent their "Get of of jail free" card.

One slip up with anything else to include new product launch will erase all of the good will the consumer may have developed with Ford during the past three years.... or with any other American 3 company.

There is a big difference between a recall that can be fixed by "remove the drivers floor mat"

and

Bring in your vehicle to fix a component that could short out and burn you vehicle... and house to the ground.

Cost cutting engineering and cheap parts are haunting Ford again. A recall like this is similar to the Firestone recall numbers.

It takes a long time to win a customers support, and one screw up to lose them for good.

It will be interesting to chart the return customers that this recall affects. I predict that less than 60% will buy another Ford product due to this recall.

And I predict you have no clue. Where do you get your numbers? Did you just grab that out of the air?

And according to a recent post, 60% return rate is pretty dam good for customer loyalty: --> Linky <--