Toyota to replace 3.8 million gas pedals

suv_guy_19

Toyota Motor Corp. will replace gas pedals on 3.8 million recalled vehicles in the United States to address problems with sudden acceleration or the pedal becoming stuck in the floor mat, The Associated Press has learned.

As a temporary step, Toyota will have dealers shorten the length of the gas pedals beginning in January while the company develops replacement pedals for their vehicles, the Transportation Department said in a statement provided to the AP.

The rest of the story

Sorry if this is already posted.

I wonder how much per vehicle it would cost Toyota to replace each and every electronic control module if it comes to that which is possible. I'm guessing about $1,000/vehicle. I know Ford had some of those issues with the Escape a couple years ago and had a recall over it. A friend of mine had an Escape that wouldn't throttle back when you lifted up on accelerator and took it in on recall and Ford fixed it. I know a part was replaced.

As I told RMC last night... it's not the pedal. It's not the floormats. It's the ECU. The sensor set up they have to monitor accelerator placement only uses one sensor with no failsafe. I thought this little nugget was interesting:

Interestingly, Toyota will also install a a brake override system that will turn off the engine if both the accelerator and the brake are depressed simultaneously. According to Automotive News, this update will occur on "involved Camry, Avalon, and Lexus ES 350, IS 350 and IS 250 models 'as an extra measure of confidence.'" This action appears to be limited to vehicles that employ Toyota's push-button start system, but interestingly its hybrid-only Prius has apparently been excluded.

I think that's closer to the real problem right there...

As I told RMC last night... it's not the pedal. It's not the floormats. It's the ECU. The sensor set up they have to monitor accelerator placement only uses one sensor with no failsafe. I thought this little nugget was interesting:

I think that's closer to the real problem right there...

Wow, so you won't be able to power-brake any of those cars? :hysterical:

Well I haven't driven a Toyota so I don't know how close the pedals are to each other, but if they are close to each other this may frustrate people with big feet.

Interestingly, Toyota will also install a a brake override system that will turn off the engine if both the accelerator and the brake are depressed simultaneously.

I doubt the override would kick in unless the accelerator and brake application both meet a certain pressure threshold. I doubt just tapping them both at once would cause the vehicle to shut off.

That could be true. I'll occasionally see people driving down the road with their full brake lights on though.

Why is Toyota replacing the accelerator pedal? SOP for Toyota is to just blame their customer for the problem. They should just issue a statement "Our cars are Japanese engineered and therefore perfect. If you crash and die it's your fault stupid American."

I am certain the blind Toyota faithfull would accept that.

Case closed.

Edited by F250

Why is Toyota replacing the accelerator pedal? SOP for Toyota is to just blame their customer for the problem. They should just issue a statement "Our cars are Japanese engineered and therefore perfect. If you crash and die it's your fault stupid American."

I am certain the blind Toyota faithfull would accept that.

Case closed.

I would guess, that 90% of the time, that is a true statement. :reading:

Would you agree that most of the accidents are the drivers fault and not the vehicle defect?

So you're saying that it's the drivers fault because they didn't think clearly in an emergency situation and put the car in neutral or turn off the ignition? Or that they should have noticed that the floor mat interfered with the proper function of the accelerator?

IMO, the point is that the driver should have never been put into a situation where they had to think quickly in an emergency or to make the determination that there is interference with the accelerator. It's Toyota's fault for putting them in a car that forced that situation.

So you're saying that it's the drivers fault because they didn't think clearly in an emergency situation and put the car in neutral or turn off the ignition? Or that they should have noticed that the floor mat interfered with the proper function of the accelerator?

IMO, the point is that the driver should have never been put into a situation where they had to think quickly in an emergency or to make the determination that there is interference with the accelerator. It's Toyota's fault for putting them in a car that forced that situation.

:redcard: That is unrealistic to expect someone to NEVER be in an emergency situation while driving!!! I heard the tape of at least part of the 911 call, it sure sounded like they had ample opportunity to think about putting the vehicle in neutral. That being said, I do think that there is negligence on Toyota. But, I would not say they are completely at fault.

I have been under the impression that brakes should be able to stop a vehicle even under full throttle. Is that actually not the case? Anyone have information on that?

- Yes, there seems to be a design defect, either in the engine electronics, or in the floor mat / gas pedal

- Yes, Toyota should accept responsibility for this

- Yes, people who can't figure out to put the car in neutral (especially a CHP officer and a 911 operator between the two of them) are deserving of a Darwin award

- Yes, the brakes are able to overpower the engine, hence power braking, but not necessarily if the car is already moving, in which case you are fighting not only engine horsepower, but the momentum of 2 tons of moving metal as well.

- Yes, a part of driving is the occasional emergency situation, which people should have some modicum of ability to get through with a clear head

:redcard: That is unrealistic to expect someone to NEVER be in an emergency situation while driving!!! I heard the tape of at least part of the 911 call, it sure sounded like they had ample opportunity to think about putting the vehicle in neutral. That being said, I do think that there is negligence on Toyota. But, I would not say they are completely at fault.

I have been under the impression that brakes should be able to stop a vehicle even under full throttle. Is that actually not the case? Anyone have information on that?

:redcard: You are COMPLETELY missing the point.

Yes, emergencies happen. However, my expectation is that a car's design SHOULD NOT put me in that situation.