Ford altering Taurus model mix to build more SEL, SHO models

I notice at Bill Brown Ford who have about 60 Taurus on lot, up to recently most were either Limited or SHO models. It's good IMO that more will be SEL models in $27,000-$30,000 range. I would imagine many were balking at Limited and SHO MSRP prices, and were ordering SEL model instead. I know I would. Most Fusions sold are SE models, and I would assume SEL Taurus will be most affordable in that segment. The Taurus SE is like the Fusion S....not to be found on any dealer lot.

I wonder if this is because the people who are now buying new cars are the ones who really do have the money...and they know what they want.

It's interesting to compare this sales collapse to the one in 1958. In 1958, Rambler scored big at the bottom of the market...just as Hyundai and Kia are today.

The medium priced cars took the real beating...and it seems that today's "near luxury" models are getting hammered.

Meanwhile, the Chevrolet Impala and Ford Fairlane 500/Galaxie - both of which were luxurious and upscale for cars sold by one of that era's "low price three" - sold pretty well. Much like the Taurus SEL and SHO are today.

And the four-seat Thunderbird sold as fast as Ford could make them (don't know what today's equivalent would be - any suggestions?).

Edited by grbeck

The Taurus SE is like the Fusion S....not to be found on any dealer lot.

That's been my experience as well- I initially thought this Tuxedo Black 2010 Taurus SE parked in a Chicagoland dealership lot was available for sale, but a quick inspection of the window sticker indicated it was pre-sold to a commercial fleet customer.

taurus_se.jpg

I notice at Bill Brown Ford who have about 60 Taurus on lot, up to recently most were either Limited or SHO models.

I'd like know how a dealership in MI, which is experiencing pretty much a depression economically can carry so many models on its lots, where in other areas of the US, your lucky to find 2-4 models of the same car sitting on the lot

I wonder if this is because the people who are now buying new cars are the ones who really do have the money...and they know what they want.

It's interesting to compare this sales collapse to the one in 1958. In 1958, Rambler scored big at the bottom of the market...just as Hyundai and Kia are today.

The medium priced cars took the real beating...and it seems that today's "near luxury" models are getting hammered.

Meanwhile, the Chevrolet Impala and Ford Fairlane 500/Galaxie - both of which were luxurious and upscale for cars sold by one of that era's "low price three" - sold pretty well. Much like the Taurus SEL and SHO are today.

And the four-seat Thunderbird sold as fast as Ford could make them (don't know what today's equivalent would be - any suggestions?).

I believe you are right with your first paragraph. I would think that many who can't or won't give in to new vehicle sticker prices buy used now. The used car market has been growing by leaps and bounds. In that way you can get an affordable vehicle that has more bells and whistles than what you can afford when buying new. Or if you buy new, you look at the most affordable vehicles that Ford makes like Focus SE, Fusion SE, and Escape XLT. These models give you best bang for the buck. It's no accident that these three vehicles are at or near top in total sales for the year for Ford. For that reason, I expect the Fiesta SE to be another big seller for Ford.

I'd like know how a dealership in MI, which is experiencing pretty much a depression economically can carry so many models on its lots, where in other areas of the US, your lucky to find 2-4 models of the same car sitting on the lot

A massive amount of Ford-loyal buyers. This might be a depressed area, but there's still *plenty* of people around here with good jobs and enough scratch to keep buying new cars.

A massive amount of Ford-loyal buyers. This might be a depressed area, but there's still *plenty* of people around here with good jobs and enough scratch to keep buying new cars.

Interesting, I know several dealerships in my area that have "big" lots and they are about only 1/4 full now...I thought I saw that deanh said that FMC isn't wanting to pay big floorplan costs any more, thus the huge cut backs in the amount of inventory lots are now carrying.

Its almost to the point now that dealerships are constantly trading with one another to get stock they need to move products in the Tristate Area where I live (NJ-PA-NY). Its rather frustrating for people to shop also since they can't find what they want. I went through this with a friend of mine getting her Escape and my parents had the same issue back in 2007/8 trying to find a Sable and settled on a floor model.

Interesting, I know several dealerships in my area that have "big" lots and they are about only 1/4 full now...I thought I saw that deanh said that FMC isn't wanting to pay big floorplan costs any more, thus the huge cut backs in the amount of inventory lots are now carrying.

Its almost to the point now that dealerships are constantly trading with one another to get stock they need to move products in the Tristate Area where I live (NJ-PA-NY). Its rather frustrating for people to shop also since they can't find what they want. I went through this with a friend of mine getting her Escape and my parents had the same issue back in 2007/8 trying to find a Sable and settled on a floor model.

dealers pay the flooring, so its considered out of pocket expense...it IS frustrating, lost a Taurus Deal and a Flex deal Friday due to being unable to dealer trade in a timely manner.....trying to get a dealer to call one back on fridays and weekends just doesnt happen....pi$$ed....oh, and the coup de gras....the Taurus customer BOUGHT A CAMRY! and he was MILITARY of all things....ARRRRRRG!

Bill Brown is the largest dealer in SE MI. Less than 5 miles from Livonia Transmission (no cut backs there in a long time) and only about 15 miles from Dearborn. I'll bet they "sell" a lot of cars to other dealers. Can't be much profit in that.

The flip side is there are a huge number of Ford and Lincoln/Mercury dealers in SE MI. I don't know how the little ones have stayed in business. Only a couple have folded in the past 2 years.

I don't think my dealer has ANY Taurii....they had one SHO a few days ago, but it was gone the next day.

People seem to forget that Metro Detroit is the home of Ford Motor Company and has been for over 106 years. Lots of auto retirees still live here and their extended families and many buy Ford vehicles not to mention all the Ford employees, many of which live on the Northwest side of Metro Detroit where Bill Brown Ford is. Jack Demmer Ford across the street from WAP is another big Ford dealership. Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor may be the biggest of all and I'm sure some months sells more than Bill Brown Ford.

I don't think there is a modern equivalent to the '58 T-Bird. At that time the Bird had no real competition having just created the personal luxury niche. Unlike the full size two door Pontiac Bonneville, Buick Limited, Olds 98 or Chrysler 300, the T-Bird didn't share its body with any other model. It was also much lower than any other 4 seat car of the time. The Thunderbird lived up to its "Unique in all the World" tag line.

BB always loads up on model close outs. I'll bet he has every storage lot crammed with Explorers later in 2010 !

You should have seen Bill Brown Ford back in the 90's when Ford was really selling new vehicles. It was amazing seeing all the prepped vehicles parked everywhere waitiing for their customers to pick them up. Back when Ford sold 900,000 F Series pickups, 450,000 Explorers, 375,000 Taurus, 275,000 Rangers, and 275,000 Focus in one year. Of course with volume down so much Bill Brown doesn't have them stacked up and down Plymouth Rd. like it used to, but it still has at least 1,0000 vehicles parked in various lots. Probably closer to 2,000 vehicles back in the 90's to early part of this decade. Bill Brown got pretty thin this summer, but right now it's full again.

If supply is so short, how are they going to keep up with demand when Explorer shows up in Chicagoland ?

3 shifts? Just guessing... but I'm sure Ford can crank them out if need be.

Also, you may be misreading the situation here. There is no severe shortage of Taurus... just the SEL and SHO models. So the problem is the wrong build mix, not a capacity issue.