NY Times Article Outlining Ford's Climb and Focus

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/business...er=yahoofinance

Pretty nice article. Worth the read.

So the Focus team ended up rallying around a few main objectives. The car had to drive and handle like a European sedan and have the creature comforts like wireless Internet access that American consumers demanded.

When it came to designing the exterior of the vehicle, the team faced a quandary. Whereas European and American buyers appreciate flair, Chinese consumers, in particular, have more conservative tastes. In the past, Mr. Herrmann, said, Ford would have designed separate bumpers and headlights for the different markets. That approach, however, wouldn’t fly with Mr. Mulally.

Sorry if this is a repeat. Did not see it posted though.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a feeling the new Focus is going to blow everyones socks off....though that clay model in the photos is a really sorry looking Future Mustang :)

I wonder what the back end of that car Mulally is standing next to is...

The new Focus will look like the Fiesta concept car on steroids. Very kinetic with muscular looks like the Taurus. It will be revealed Monday.

The new Focus will look like the Fiesta concept car on steroids. Very kinetic with muscular looks like the Taurus. It will be revealed Monday.

Did you notice the caption on the photo?

Alan Mulally, Ford's chief, with clay models of various Ford cars, including a new Focus, far left, its "world car" that will be unveiled on Monday. He says buyers worldwide look for the same qualities.

Well, I like the sloping rear glass and small lip. Can't wait until Monday! :happy feet:

I wonder if thats a Mustang Concept. Ford always has a concept a year or two before a new production model.

That's what it says but it sure looks a lot smaller, is that full sized?

Mustangconcept.jpg

A clay model of a future Mustang in Ford's design studio.

The company is shifting from trucks and S.U.V.'s to cars.

Edited by jpd80

Did you notice the caption on the photo?

Well, I like the sloping rear glass and small lip. Can't wait until Monday! :happy feet:

I didn't see the part of the caption where it says "Focus, far left..."

I wonder if thats a Mustang Concept. Ford always has a concept a year or two before a new production model.

I don't know about that - seems counterproductive to just be announcing the new 5.0 and 3.7 in the Mustang and then show a concept at the same time....

That's what it says but it sure looks a lot smaller, is that full sized?

Maybe a little smaller, but those are 18/19" fan blades.....not exactly small.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm seeing Cougar in that clay. The roof line is a little TOO elegant for a Mustang (just wishing probably!)