GM challenges Ford to pickup tug-of-war

Link to article

Now that it's back from bankruptcy, General Motors is feeling feisty. It's challenging Ford to a heavy-duty pickup tug-of-war.

The face-off would pit the coming 2011 Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra heavy-duty pickup against a Ford Super Duty, reports Pickuptrucks.com. To paraphrase GM, let the best truck win.

The 2011 Ford Super Duty, with all-new diesel and gasoline engines, maintains best-in-class towing and payload, Ford says. So naturally GM wants to challenge the truck.

The bluster comes from Tom Stephens, GM's vice chairman in charge of global product operations, who is hot to show off the diesel Duramax in the new trucks. Seems like he's starting a bit early. As 2011s, the trucks aren't even in showrooms yet.

Stephens thinks he's got the better truck -- or at least has less to lose since F-Series is America's best-selling vehicle.

-more at link above-

I think that bold says it all to me.

Sorry, guys.

Just realized this was posted down in the "Competition" section. Missed that one.

Oh well, I thought it humorous that GM would challenge Ford to a "who's got a bigger d__k" contest.

In any case, maybe I should have posted the one about Mullaly referring to the Transit Connect as a "chick magnet:". (or did I miss that one too?)

Ford CEO Alan Mulally says the new Transit Connect is a 'chick magnet'

Sorry, guys.

Just realized this was posted down in the "Competition" section. Missed that one.

Oh well, I thought it humorous that GM would challenge Ford to a "who's got a bigger d__k" contest.

In any case, maybe I should have posted the one about Mullaly referring to the Transit Connect as a "chick magnet:". (or did I miss that one too?)

Ford CEO Alan Mulally says the new Transit Connect is a 'chick magnet'

And who can forget GM's "Man Step" campaign. You gotta love a company so desperate to discredit an innovation that it would equate features to femininity. I can't stand Howie in those GM commercials ever since.

And who can forget GM's "Man Step" campaign. You gotta love a company so desperate to discredit an innovation that it would equate features to femininity. I can't stand Howie in those GM commercials ever since.

Chevy's ads are terrible -- I liked when they made fun of the Dodge Ram's Heated Steering Wheel, umm apparently the marketing department didn't know the GMC Sierra has that as an option to. Way to make fun of people that drive other vehicles in your stable.

OK, let's just say for the purpose of this thread that the 2011 Duramax is more powerful than the 2011 PSD. So what? The Ford truck is still significantly heavier than the GM truck, which gives it a huge traction advantage. Ford should just bring out a 9,000lb F450, I don't care how much power a Duramax has, no GM HD truck is going to get more traction than a 9,000lb F450.

That's IF the Chevy will hold up..... Was at the Carlisle All Ford last year and watched the truck tug of war. Ford vs Chevy. After a couple pulls (Ford won each time) during the pull we heard a POP and the Ford drug the Chevy across the line. Something in the front axle of the Chevy broke. The Ford went on to pull a couple more trucks and didn't break at all.

Chevy = POS. :)

• Like 1

You're kidding ..........right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not kidding... Look at all of the issues and TSB on the 6.0L PSD.

I have one and the truck was in for repairs and then engine pulled out before the first 6 months.

The 6.0L has to be the worst diesel since the GM in the '70s.

Not kidding... Look at all of the issues and TSB on the 6.0L PSD.

I have one and the truck was in for repairs and then engine pulled out before the first 6 months.

The 6.0L has to be the worst diesel since the GM in the '70s.

You're obviously missing the point. Ford developed the new diesel engine in-house BECAUSE of all the problems on the previous models. The whole point of the new engine was to fix the problems they had on the old ones.

This is hilarious. And exactly what will this prove, who has better traction?

Doesn't matter who has more power the majority of the time. Biggest factors are traction (good set of tires slightly deflated), who's heavier (Ford is, but will they put weight in the beds), who has the higher tie down point (as it will pull the rear of the other truck up reducing traction), what gears are being used (not sure of Chevies, but isn't the SD's best a 4.10 or does the F450 come with 4.30?) and who has the better driver (who can feather the gas just right so the tires don't break loose). Otherwise, will either side cheat by using the brakes as soon as they start moving backwards???

Too many potential variables to not match up trucks equally. Either way, I'd love to see the SD and it's new 6.7L PSD & 6spd Tranny eat a Chebby Duramax/Allison alive.

Edited by V8-X

I'm still waiting for the Ford Courier vs. Chevy Luv pulloff competition........................makes about the same sense doesn't it?????? Or better yet, the Pinto wagon vs. Chevy Vega wagon grocery getter 500. GM has always had something to prove when it comes to the truck series, but has always come up short. More power to the GM execs. trying to roll up there arm sleeves against Ford, guess uncle Sams wallet had enough advertisement allowence for the underdogs.