The latest Explorer teaser pic from Facebook

I saw that too. Unless there's an auto open button hidden under the lip (a fully auto release - making the tab unnecessary) then it looks like we're losing the liftglass. It is a shame, too. I use this feature quite a bit on our Escape, just as I did with my old Explorer and Tribute.

My Explorer has a small push button by the license plate light. I hope the lift glass is still there. I don't see any break in the liftgate or hinges for the glass. Too bad. it is one of the things I like most about the Explorer.

I guess I'm rare for this board -- only time it ever got used when I had my Explorer is when I would accidentally hit 5/6 button after entering the code, or hitting the button on the remote. It was one thing I could never understand, why not open the full door? I thinking with the power rear hatches it would be used even less.

I guess I'm rare for this board -- only time it ever got used when I had my Explorer is when I would accidentally hit 5/6 button after entering the code, or hitting the button on the remote. It was one thing I could never understand, why not open the full door? I thinking with the power rear hatches it would be used even less.

We use it when we get groceries to make sure nothing falls out before opeing the lifgate. It also comes in handy when towing a trailer. I use it a lot when I have the boat hitched up.

We use it when we get groceries to make sure nothing falls out before opeing the lifgate. It also comes in handy when towing a trailer. I use it a lot when I have the boat hitched up.

Those are the only reasons I ever used it. My wife had 2 explorers, an expy and an aviator before getting the Edge with the power liftgate and we haven't missed the rear hatch at all.

Did the exact same thing with my Explorers as well. And of course it cracked as well.The part that I am referring to is the composite piece that went around the rear window. :shades:

Did the exact same thing with my Explorers as well. And of course it cracked as well.The part that I am referring to is the composite piece that went around the rear window. :shades:

Well, they could always do what Toyota does with the 4Runner, have the rear glass retract up and down.

And cost.

We pop the glass seperately from the door all the time on our '02. It would really be disappointing if they did drop that feature.

Wonder if the hinge point for the glass is above the plastic wind deflector (or under) as shown on this pic? That would make sense....to have the hinges hidden under the deflector....maybe. We'll see. I imagine it'll still uses the same electric solenoid as the current setups to activate the latch.

I'm really anxious to see one on the road. I hope that Ford kept some of they "truck" attitude.

I saw that too. Unless there's an auto open button hidden under the lip (a fully auto release - making the tab unnecessary) then it looks like we're losing the liftglass. It is a shame, too. I use this feature quite a bit on our Escape, just as I did with my old Explorer and Tribute.

Nope, it's gone - I don't see any cut lines or anything that support the liftglass being there. Oh well.....I used it all the time on our old Expedition too, but also lost it with the Flex...

Well, they could always do what Toyota does with the 4Runner, have the rear glass retract up and down.

They do that on models with an almost vertical rear window; based on this picture, the window wouldn't be able to do that because of the angle of the window, not to mention the position of the rear wiper.

Well thats very dissapointed to see we lost the liftglass, to me that officially makes the vehicle go from Sport Utility Vehicle to just simple Crossover. It takes out the "utility" out of "vehicle"...very dissapointed eh, for that might as well get a flex, whoop de doo...

Personally I think it's time to drop the Explorer and let the spot be filled by the Edge and Escape. Aren't they already putting the Explorer on a unibody chassis anyway? What's the point? It's just another Edge. Let it retire.

Edited by BlackHorse

Personally I think it's time to drop the Explorer and let the spot be filled by the Edge and Escape. Aren't they already putting the Explorer on a unibody chassis anyway? What's the point? It's just another Edge. Let it retire.

Yes, they're exactly the same. Except for the 3rd row seats, higher ground clearance, significantly more towing ability (5000+ vs. 3500), selectable terrains, etc. etc.

If anything the Flex might end up being unnecessary since it's the same size as the Explorer. But the Flex is all urban while the Explorer can do both. In the end it will come down to sales and profitability.

Well, I saw it. Got to craw inside and outside. Underneath and under the hood.

I love it.

I am impressed with it from the windshield wipers to the tow hitch.

The fit and finish on these pre-production vehicles were outstanding. They had representation from all of the different trim levels, and all of them are truly impressive. I even love the grille, and since I can't say anything specific about it, think about what I don't like in a grille and go from there.

It will be class leading. It is revolutionary in so many ways. It will rival luxury vehicles.

All I can say is wow.

• Like 1

I love it.

The fit and finish on these pre-production vehicles were outstanding. They had representation from all of the different trim levels, and all of them are truly impressive. I even love the grille, and since I can't say anything specific about it, think about what I don't like in a grille and go from there.

It will be class leading. It is revolutionary in so many ways. It will rival luxury vehicles.

All I can say is wow.

Well if Pioneer is impressed, I think we have a winner on our hands! Way to go, Ford!

I love it.

All I can say is wow.

My impressions exactly. I'd be very proud to drive this vehicle. Taken as a total package, the new Explorer really makes a statement. If consumers -- even Asian loyalitst -- are in the market for a SUV and do not at least consider an Explorer, they should be required to wear a scarlet "I" for Idiot.