2011 FORD EXPLORER BRINGS CLASS-LEADING FUEL ECONOMY, PERFORMANCE TO SPORT UTILITY SEGMENT

The fuel tank is just 18.6Gallons, seems kinda small for such a big vehicle, Mast antenna should be embedded into the glass. Dont care for the dual stalks. Back window looks pretty small to look out of, good thing for backup camera. No flip up glass on liftgate, big dissapointment for me there. Dont care for the speedometer having the "0" at the very bottom straight line. Ideally, the needle would only move like 20 percent of the dial most of the time. I like the new window switches and doorlock buttons, they seem to have a more sophisticated look, than the clakity stuff used in the past. I see dual rear A/C is available too. Not sure if 255TQ is enough for such a heavy vehicle. Ecoboost needed.

The specs in fordvehicles.com say that the fuel tank is 22.5 gallons. Wonder which is right. The specs in media.ford.com say that the front suspension is short/long arm, whereas in fordvehicles.com it says MacPherson strut.

I'd like to know why it makes sense for the Flex to get the 3.5EB but not the Explorer.

The specs in fordvehicles.com say that the fuel tank is 22.5 gallons. Wonder which is right. The specs in media.ford.com say that the front suspension is short/long arm, whereas in fordvehicles.com it says MacPherson strut.

I'd like to know why it makes sense for the Flex to get the 3.5EB but not the Explorer.

2 possibilities:

They spent all available resources on the 2.0L EB and the 3.5 is coming but has to wait a bit.

They're laying the groundwork for Lincoln to get the 3.5L EB exclusively.

Neither were applicable when the Flex was developed.

I'm sure an Ecoboosted version will come out.

Interesting strategy in relation to the 4-banger probably costing more, or being the premium engine...sort of how the MKZ Hybrid is just the same as the V6 version, Ford is throwing a monkey wrench out there ;) Ironically, it's torque is almost the same as the V6, but it's short on HP. Wonder how much more they can boost that in the future...I mean, why not just boost it to 270-280HP and keep that as a base engine and have the Ecoboost 3.5L as the option. I'm sure it'snot to price themselves into a higher range...they can do the same strategy as they did with Flex...Titanium. When the love for the vehicle is there, come out with something fancier and run with it.

I'm sure an Ecoboosted version will come out.

Interesting strategy in relation to the 4-banger probably costing more, or being the premium engine...sort of how the MKZ Hybrid is just the same as the V6 version, Ford is throwing a monkey wrench out there ;) Ironically, it's torque is almost the same as the V6, but it's short on HP. Wonder how much more they can boost that in the future...I mean, why not just boost it to 270-280HP and keep that as a base engine and have the Ecoboost 3.5L as the option. I'm sure it'snot to price themselves into a higher range...they can do the same strategy as they did with Flex...Titanium. When the love for the vehicle is there, come out with something fancier and run with it.

I'm guessing the tuning is a good compromise between power and economy. They could do what you say but they'd lose some MPGs doing it.

I have been watching and have owned Fords for about fifty years, as my father and uncle were Ford dealers from Ohio in farm equipment and vehicles. Lately Ford has ignored the Explorer in ads and promotions to the extent that I expected the brand to become extinct. Now we get a big promo with all the balloons and glitter, but without prices and details, just teasers. If Ford were serious, the Explorer would get a fuel efficient diesel and be a real truck, along with the Superduty line, not another grocery getter. When will Ford have the guts to really lead out instead of following the trends? When my Excursion or Explorer needs replacement, will Ford still have a towing vehicle with an enclosed body that can haul camping stuff? The Expedition and EL are close, but again no diesel. I can get 20 mpl with a modified 7.2 Turbodiesel in a 4 ton truck, why would I want a 4 cylinder?

2 possibilities:

They spent all available resources on the 2.0L EB and the 3.5 is coming but has to wait a bit.

Notice that they didn't announce the Titanium model, either. :shades:

3.5 EB, blacked out grille and lamps, 20" wheels...

I have been watching and have owned Fords for about fifty years, as my father and uncle were Ford dealers from Ohio in farm equipment and vehicles. Lately Ford has ignored the Explorer in ads and promotions to the extent that I expected the brand to become extinct. Now we get a big promo with all the balloons and glitter, but without prices and details, just teasers. If Ford were serious, the Explorer would get a fuel efficient diesel and be a real truck, along with the Superduty line, not another grocery getter. When will Ford have the guts to really lead out instead of following the trends? When my Excursion or Explorer needs replacement, will Ford still have a towing vehicle with an enclosed body that can haul camping stuff? The Expedition and EL are close, but again no diesel. I can get 20 mpl with a modified 7.2 Turbodiesel in a 4 ton truck, why would I want a 4 cylinder?

And nobody will buy it and more bitching will come. :confused:

the explorer's main purpose in life for the last couple decades, has been a grocery getter, lightweight offroading vehicle. if you really needed to tow something heavy on a regular basis, you went to a larger vehicle. when your excursion needs replacement, i suggest you do a nationwide search for a nice low mileage example, because until fossil fuels get cheap and stay cheap for an extended period (at least several years), those types of vehicles are through.

and i'd love to have one, but couldn't realistically afford one as my main ride.

the new explorer looks like just what the doctor ordered for 95% of previous explorer owners imo.

the new explorer looks like just what the doctor ordered for 95% of previous explorer owners imo.

And it's quite likely the missing 5% will be made up for (and then some) by people who didn't like the "truckiness" of the previous Explorer -- aka Highlander and Pilot converts.

Looks great, the negatards (that have no intention of putting up their own money on a new vehicle anyway) will all bitch.

To heck with them.

This makes it harder to decide on a replacement for the Aviator.

MKX, SHO , or Explorer? I think I wait for job 2, ecoboost on the explorer would close the deal.

I think new explorer will be well received in the whole world. I do not see any SUV so attractive so far. How many people have ever image a explorer has Gas milage at 29mpg. I love my 2007 fusion, it just reach 30mpg in summer.

Definitely a stylish truck.

Even without the new engines, this would be well received on its' looks (inside and out) and new features.

you need to read some of the blogs / press on the 6.7 diesel....25 PLUS mpgs is quite common....

Point taken but back in the day a 4 runner v6 was making more hp than the v8. I have driven them both extensively and there is no replacement for low end torque. The V8 just out shines it in every way possible except on paper.

Im not complaining here at all and the average buyer is never going to know the difference. Its kinda like they dont have a clue about the unibody. Dont forget a lot of explorers came with the venerable 302 and 4.6. That last 4.6 made what? 290hp/315 ft lbs? Dont tell me I could not feel the difference between that and the 3.5. Yes, it would burn a butt load more gas.

I am a power monger and when you cut it down I get skeptical. I have no doubt this will be a hit for Ford. Its just a sign of the times like I said before. I do give Ford a big thumbs up for making big strides on the mileage front. Even if it comes at the expense of some reserve power.

The engineers are not benchmarking "seat of the pants" perception - however, the Explorer numbers look pretty good against the competition:

Honda Pilot: 250 HP / 253 TQ

Toyota 4Runner 270 HP / 278 TQ

GMC Acadia 288 HP/ 270 TQ

2 possibilities:

Why would they make the 3.5L exclusive to Lincoln only, when its already in the Flex, Taurus and coming in the F-150?

I think we'll see a Explorer Sport and a Explorer Titanium in the very near future, both with the EB 3.5l V6 as an option.

Why would they make the 3.5L exclusive to Lincoln only, when its already in the Flex, Taurus and coming in the F-150?

I think we'll see a Explorer Sport and a Explorer Titanium in the very near future, both with the EB 3.5l V6 as an option.

Simple - those were done before the new Lincoln plan was put in place AND Ford needed some pizazz for their turnaround.

There are rumors that the new Fusion will only be available with I4s. We've seen that with the Regal and Sonata already IIRC.

I see Ford getting the new 3.5L like the Explorer plus the 2.0L EB and NA 2.5L while Lincoln gets a revised 3.7L with DI. Unless they decide to make an ecoboost 3.7L you might see the EB 3.5L as a Lincoln only engine except for special models like the SHO.

Simple - those were done before the new Lincoln plan was put in place AND Ford needed some pizazz for their turnaround.

There are rumors that the new Fusion will only be available with I4s. We've seen that with the Regal and Sonata already IIRC.

I see Ford getting the new 3.5L like the Explorer plus the 2.0L EB and NA 2.5L while Lincoln gets a revised 3.7L with DI. Unless they decide to make an ecoboost 3.7L you might see the EB 3.5L as a Lincoln only engine except for special models like the SHO.

My thought is Ford might need the 3.5EB for the upper level police version of the Explorer, so EB engine phase-in could be combined at the same time with a retail version. I don't see 3.5EB being a Lincoln exclusive as the marketing term will be used literally across the board from the smallest to largest vehicles, so you can't tie "EcoBoost" with "Lincoln" like, for instance, GM tied "Northstar" with "Cadillac".

I also think Ford has finally learned a valuable lesson of holding something back to keep the buzz going on their products. Like powertrains on Mustang, and powertrains on F150. Companies like BMW have done this for years, with delayed introductions of coupes and other bodystyle derivitives and also "M" versions. It keeps the product in the news, and it also smooths engineering workload.

From what I understand, the Regal will be getting a V6. I do believe the Sonata already offers one as well, in addition to the turbo-4.

Ford is simply limiting Ford brand's potential if they are going to hamper them with subpar powertrains just to make Lincoln "unique".

My thought is Ford might need the 3.5EB for the upper level police version of the Explorer, so EB engine phase-in could be combined at the same time with a retail version. I don't see 3.5EB being a Lincoln exclusive as the marketing term will be used literally across the board from the smallest to largest vehicles, so you can't tie "EcoBoost" with "Lincoln" like, for instance, GM tied "Northstar" with "Cadillac".

EB definitely won't be a Lincoln exclusive, but Lincoln will get unique engines and one way to do that on the upper end would be to make the 3.5EB Lincoln only with Ford getting the smaller ones.

Ford also said every Lincoln will get an EB engine although it did not say the EB engines would be the exclusive Lincoln engines.

Or perhaps they both get EB3.5L but Ford keeps the current 365HP version while Lincoln gets a 400 hp version along with the SHO (and possibly other SVT products).

I also think there's a chance that SVT will bring out a EB3.5L version of the Explorer. I think it's a given that the police version will have it.

EB definitely won't be a Lincoln exclusive, but Lincoln will get unique engines and one way to do that on the upper end would be to make the 3.5EB Lincoln only with Ford getting the smaller ones.

Ford also said every Lincoln will get an EB engine although it did not say the EB engines would be the exclusive Lincoln engines.

Or perhaps they both get EB3.5L but Ford keeps the current 365HP version while Lincoln gets a 400 hp version along with the SHO (and possibly other SVT products).

I also think there's a chance that SVT will bring out a EB3.5L version of the Explorer. I think it's a given that the police version will have it.

Explorer will be getting the 3.5EB. Remember, they've been spreading announcements out between the "reveal" date and the launch date. Same as the new Focus... there are trims and packages that haven't been announced yet, and will be used to generate more buzz shortly before launch.