Which Automaker will be top dog in five years?

It wont be Hyundai/Kia, I know many fanboys are horny over them but realistically while much has improved, they still have along way to go, here and elsewhere.

It would be nice if it were Ford, I think the market will fragment a bit more with newer players so I think we'll have maybe 3-4 who will be neck and neck the next few years. I dont think it'll be Honda, I think it'll be GM, Ford, Toyota and VW. Ford has improved in India and will need to do more there as well. China will be the key of who the dominant player worldwide will be. Gm is focusing on China as well. Toyota is steadily expanding by offering more products (same crap, different sheetmetal and name). VW will only grow if they can attract lower markets, they already have the high end with their multiple brands.

Edited by ANTAUS

I have no problem with Ford being #1 as long as they maintain their focus (not really a pun intended, but I suppose it'd work) on the four pillars that have lead their turnaround (and would lead them to the #1 position), being, in no particular order--safety, quality, green, and smart. I'll throw in another one that probably falls under quality, but who cares - durability/longevity.

It wont be Hyundai/Kia, I know many fanboys are horny over them but realistically while much has improved, they still have along way to go, here and elsewhere.

It would be nice if it were Ford, I think the market will fragment a bit more with newer players so I think we'll have maybe 3-4 who will be neck and neck the next few years. I dont think it'll be Honda, I think it'll be GM, Ford, Toyota and VW. Ford has improved in India and will need to do more there as well. China will be the key of who the dominant player worldwide will be. Gm is focusing on China as well. Toyota is steadily expanding by offering more products (same crap, different sheetmetal and name). VW will only grow if they can attract lower markets, they already have the high end with their multiple brands.

Never say never. The products that they are bring to market are excellent. :reading:

Top 5 (in no particular order)

VW

Toyota

GM

Nissan/Renault

Ford

A very realistic list, however, I don't see Nissan/Renault being a major, longterm automaker without merging with a 3rd automaker. Or perhaps they go the VW route and buy up a lot of niche makes.

Would you agree that they produce products with an aura of desirability?

I don't own any Apple products (don't need an iPod, refuse to pay the iPhone bandits aka Canuck phone companies, and Corel Draw isn't written for Mac-unix). But Apple is a great model for Ford: game-changing innovation and high profits. iPod, iPhone, iTunes.

IMHO, the VW empire is the one to watch, world-wide. With VW, Audi, Skoda and SEAT the company produces more platform variants than any other company. The question is, can they keep it up? In the US market, will VW's effort to grow from dead-in-the-water sales momentum run head-on with the Hyundai/Kia juggernaut? Sonata über alles?

Now, it could be a false impression, but it appears that Ford's product development security is effective. Some people believe in Santa Claus; I believe that Ford has some surprises coming. :)

Go figure, and VW has that "aura" of want because of their nicely appointed cabins and quality materials, yet they (at least here in NA) are rated as one of the most undependable brands overall. And it has for decades actually, their crap hasn't improved. But I can tell you from the 18 people I know that have owned one of their products, NEVER again!

But I think the main players will be:

VW

General Motors

Toyota

Ford

Nissan-Renault-Daimler

Those are the true global power houses.

The Second Tier will probably be:

Hyundai Kia

Honda

Fiat-Chrysler

BMW

PSA

The Third tier is made up of a grab-bag of companies, mainly companies with a small, but still global, reach, as well as one or two Chinese companies that might make it big in developing markets.

Mazda

Mitsubishi

TATA-Jaguar-Land Rover

Saab

BYD ?

Chery ?

I use Corel Paint Shop Pro...it's a lot leaner and easier to use for minor touch up/chopping than the full blown Adobe Photoshop.

Paint Shop Pro used to be a stand-alone shareware program, it got gobbled up by Corel in 2004... I think that was the first shareware program I ever registered.

I'm sure it looks nothing like I remember it (I've been on a Mac for 10 years now...)