Ford sales up 14% in February

You have to give Ford huge props here. In the past, they would have followed GM into the "incentives for everyone" buying of marketshare. This time, they are not.

Not only that, but Ford is also being very conservative on production.

One has to wonder when the stock market will recognize their excellent business model.

As for sales, F150's are almost non existant on lots (our local dealer has 1........................... 1, and it is a 2010). There are no Explorers on lots (our local dealer has not gotten one in yet, that they could stick on the lot. They are all sold before they get here). Then of course, there is the fact that the Focus has not hit ground yet either.

Just imagine how good Fords sales would be, if they actually had stock.

I think the Explorer story, from the large Texas dealer, really tells the tale. He sells 1500 new vehicles a year. They have ZERO new Explorers on the lot. They have 8 coming in in 30-35 days, and 6 of those are already sold................. which means by the time they get here, they will all be sold again, and he will still have ZERO on the lot.

Thats pretty damn impressive.

I'll go ahead and assume you meant MKZ. So do you include Acura TL sales in with the Accord? And Lexus ES sales in with the Camry as well? :rolleyes:

I meant the MKS. The reason why I included the MKZ and Fusion together has to do with the number of common body panels they share. The TL and ES are a bit more differentiated styling wise.

I kind of lump the MKS in the Fusion total as well since they are so similar.

I meant the MKS.

:headscratch:

The MKS and Fusion are so similar how? Yeah, they both have 4 tires.

The reason why I included the MKZ and Fusion together has to do with the number of common body panels they share

So if the MKZ had an extra crease in its door panels you'd be just fine calling them different vehicles? And yes, the doors and roof are the only body panels they share.

:headscratch: again.

Edited by NickF1011

Fusion outsold the Accord and Altima making it the second best selling midsize sedan for the month.

That is amazing, isn't it? It seems like yesterday when Fusion was trying to break into the midsized segment, and now after a few short years is right up there with Accord and Altima and within shouting distance of Camry. A huge success story for Ford. Their biggest story IMO. Fusion is the poster child for Ford's resurgence. Its right up there with Model T, Model A, 1949 Ford, and 1986 Taurus/Sable as an historic vehicle for Ford. Fusion offers tremendous value for the money and savvy consumers buy them in every increasing numbers.

As for sales, F150's are almost non existant on lots (our local dealer has 1........................... 1, and it is a 2010). There are no Explorers on lots (our local dealer has not gotten one in yet, that they could stick on the lot. They are all sold before they get here). Then of course, there is the fact that the Focus has not hit ground yet either.

The dealer I just bought my new Ranger from (small dealer in a rural town of about 8000) is a different story. He had at least 8 F-150s there, a good mix of 2wd and 4wd with 3.7L, 5.0L and one 3.5EB 4x4. I was going to ask to drive the EB F-150 for grins and giggles but it was 15 minutes past closing on a Friday when we finished the paperwork on my Ranger so I didn't bother asking. Now Rangers on the other hand, he couldn't keep on the lot. He was selling them as fast as they got unloaded this month - fortunately he was able to find mine at a dealer in Michigan and have it delivered. Apparently his experience with Rangers this month wasn't a national trend as the Ranger numbers for Feburary were only 2% better than Feb 2010...

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Explorer is doing very well and it seems to be cutting into Flex sales.

I'd like to see the breakdown of 2010 vs. 2011 Explorers sold.

Must be a local thing around you. As for the Dealers here in the Denver Metro area, they always stay plenty stocked on F150's. Most dealers around here have a minimum of 7-10 F150's on stock at all times, if not more. As for the Explorer's, one dealer in the area has 10 of them in stock (at least last week they did), all others typically have 2-3, with a few having one in stock.

:headscratch:

The MKS and Fusion are so similar how? Yeah, they both have 4 tires.

Don't get me started. MKS sales are beyond dismal based upon last month's figures. You think Lincoln has reached a new low and then you have to deal with the next month which is worse. Lincoln gets all new MKT with all new top hat and results.....goose egg. Lincoln gets new MKZ hybrid to go along with regular MKZ and results up barely. Lincoln gets nicely refreshed MKX and results modest increase in sales. Decrepit Navigator with $3.50 gas outsells both MKT and MKS. Now that is bad and Yeah, I have no patience with those results. Something is seriously wrong with the Lincoln brand no matter what the Ford slappies argue. Reality can be a bitch.

In my opinion, what makes the Escape currently stand out is its pricing, not its 1998 styling.

Even though I know you don't like the Escape one can hardly criticize it's sales performance and it is not all due to price. If price was the only thing that sold cars then models like the Aveo, Sebring and older Focus would have been sales leaders. If you compare a 1998 Explorer to the current Escape although it has a simular "SUV profile" it looks much more modern. You can say they look the same, but I don't see it.

Again as an Escape owner it is more then just price that sells the vehicle. I know you don't believe it, but a lot of us Escape owners like the outdoorsy, SUV styling.

Well done Ford, February is usually another quiet month like January but F150, Fusion, Explorer and Fiesta

were all showing results you would expect to see in April or May. I'm beginning to get excited about 2011,

could this be the year when Ford gets itself back deeply in the black regardless of high gas prices....

Explorer's new found success doesn't seem to have hurt Flex as much as I thought but

I still wonder whether adding an Explorer EL with Flex's longer wheelbase would work.

Edited by jpd80

He had at least 8 F-150s there, a good mix of 2wd and 4wd with 3.7L, 5.0L and one 3.5EB 4x4.

Even in a small town dealer, it's impossible to have a "good mix" of F-series with only 8 of them on the lot. Heck, I would say several of the larger dealers around here regularly have close to 100 of them to choose from.

Don't get me started. MKS sales are beyond dismal based upon last month's figures. You think Lincoln has reached a new low and then you have to deal with the next month which is worse. Lincoln gets all new MKT with all new top hat and results.....goose egg. Lincoln gets new MKZ hybrid to go along with regular MKZ and results up barely. Lincoln gets nicely refreshed MKX and results modest increase in sales. Decrepit Navigator with $3.50 gas outsells both MKT and MKS. Now that is bad and Yeah, I have no patience with those results. Something is seriously wrong with the Lincoln brand no matter what the Ford slappies argue. Reality can be a bitch.

Look I don't agree with much of what FordBuyer says around here, but I will stick my neck out and agree with him this time around. Lincoln is in a tough spot and with new product months if not years away the brand just might not make it. You can't keep going down month after month. Discount them and throw some cash on the hoods if you have to so at least you have a few of them driving off of the dealer lots. The brand is currently in terminal decline and new product might not be able to save it if it is too far gone. They better be working at record speed to get some excitement back into Lincoln showrooms otherwise plan on a future with one Ford.

Calm down, Eeyore.

Yes, there obviously is something wrong with Lincoln: Most of their lineup sucks and it will continue to suck for the remainder of this year. I haven't seen any of the "Ford slappies" argue otherwise. Their two decent vehicles (MKZ and MKX) are the two that are maintaining their overall volume, which makes perfect sense.

I (and all the other "Ford slappies) do, on the other hand, still have hope for what Lincoln will become down the road. To simplify it for you, what Lincoln is doing right now is irrelevant, so would ya quit trying to equate Lincoln's current performance to their potential performance in the future? The two are entirely unrelated at this point.

Even in a small town dealer, it's impossible to have a "good mix" of F-series with only 8 of them on the lot. Heck, I would say several of the larger dealers around here regularly have close to 100 of them to choose from.

Exactly - 8 is WAY too low even for a small dealer. My local dealer in North Atlanta has 151 in stock right now - 15 of which are on order.

I would expect an average of at least 50 with larger dealers having 150-250 in stock.

Look I don't agree with much of what FordBuyer says around here, but I will stick my neck out and agree with him this time around. Lincoln is in a tough spot and with new product months if not years away the brand just might not make it. You can't keep going down month after month. Discount them and throw some cash on the hoods if you have to so at least you have a few of them driving off of the dealer lots. The brand is currently in terminal decline and new product might not be able to save it if it is too far gone. They better be working at record speed to get some excitement back into Lincoln showrooms otherwise plan on a future with one Ford.

Discounting them into oblivion will do nothing to help Ford, Lincoln, or dealers. Volume doesn't mean anything when there's no profit associated with it. And lowering the prices of an already discounted luxury brand will do absolutely nothing toward making people take it seriously.

Again I would ask some folks to look at the actual sales numbers from some other luxury brands before assuming Lincoln is doomed. Lincolns aren't going to sell like Fords. They aren't even going to sell like BMW's or Mercedes. But they will and already are selling like Acuras and Infinitis. Where are all the calls for the deaths of those brands? Yeah, awfully quiet there.

Exactly - 8 is WAY too low even for a small dealer. My local dealer in North Atlanta has 151 in stock right now - 15 of which are on order.

I would expect an average of at least 50 with larger dealers having 150-250 in stock.

I'm thinking my local Koons Ford in Annapolis must be one of the major suppliers of fleet vehicles for the government. They always have hundreds of white E-series and Super Duties of every imaginable configuration you can think of on their back lot.

Heck, the dealer I bought my Edge from had 3 or 4 GT500's in stock!

Explorer is doing very well and it seems to be cutting into Flex sales. I wonder if the Flex will pick up again or if the Explorer is where all the action is now. On a side note the Escape is the little SUV that could. I just hope they don't turn it into another "me too" crossover with the re-design because right now I think the SUV styling really makes it stand out.

A refresh for the Flex would certainly help it out - while not much on the exterior needs to be done (some tweaks here and there to the front and rear), the interior could use pretty much a full redo just to catch up to some of Ford's latest interiors (like Explorer) design-wise, quality-wise, and technology-wise. And at that point, I still don't think we'll see Flex sales take off (advertising the thing would help!), but I think we'd certainly see them bump up a bit.

Are there still a significant number of 2010 Explorers available? I am wondering if that number is skewed because they have 2 Explorers available for now.

I also noticed the Ford Heavy trucks increased by 48% YOY. Maybe there is still life in them.

and I almost forgot, Crown Vic sales up 80%! :stirpot:

I honestly wouldn't think there's all that many 2010 Explorers around, as I think Ford cut production of it a good bit before the switchover. At least our dealer doesn't have many of them (of course, they don't have many, if any, 2011s either right now).

That is amazing, isn't it? It seems like yesterday when Fusion was trying to break into the midsized segment, and now after a few short years is right up there with Accord and Altima and within shouting distance of Camry. A huge success story for Ford. Their biggest story IMO. Fusion is the poster child for Ford's resurgence. Its right up there with Model T, Model A, 1949 Ford, and 1986 Taurus/Sable as an historic vehicle for Ford. Fusion offers tremendous value for the money and savvy consumers buy them in every increasing numbers.

The quality of the Fusion is really amazing. My 2007 Fusion has almost 10K mileage in it. It still run like new. 27 miles per gallon average during winter and almost 30 miles per gallon durign summer and I had two accidents on this car and I still did not change any of its original parts except the bumps and lights that damaged by accident. The quality is in the car.

I really appreciate the people who design and manufacture Fusion. I wish I can drive it until 20K

The quality of the Fusion is really amazing. My 2007 Fusion has almost 10K mileage in it. It still run like new. 27 miles per gallon average during winter and almost 30 miles per gallon durign summer and I had two accidents on this car and I still did not change any of its original parts except the bumps and lights that damaged by accident. The quality is in the car.

I really appreciate the people who design and manufacture Fusion. I wish I can drive it until 20K

Ummmmm, what's stopping you from driving it till 20K? You should be able to drive it till 200K ....

I guess that 2011 Focus is no more produced since the 2012 Focus started to roll off the assembly line. So what we saw here is only the available inventory of 2011 Focus.

Correct. Ford stopped taking orders for the 2011 MY Focus in late August 2010, and production ceased about four months thereafter.

btw, how much money has Ford lost on the U.S. made C170 Focus through the years? More than $1B?