SVT Update: 2013 GT500 and Fiesta ST

I don't understand why they would put forth the engineering effort to put a whole new engine in the GT500 when its getting a major redesign in 2 years or so.

If anything they can get the same numbers out of the current 5.4L rig...

While I agree with you on the second part, the 5.4L is a dead man walking, and the new engine would most likely carry over after the redesign.

I don't understand why they would put forth the engineering effort to put a whole new engine in the GT500 when its getting a major redesign in 2 years or so.

If anything they can get the same numbers out of the current 5.4L rig...

Obviously they'll be using that same engine in the new version and/or other vehicles going forward.

The spy videos of the new Shelby sound like an S/C engine if you ask me.http://www.insideline.com/ford/mustang/2013/videos/2013_ford_mustang_ss_62211.html

I don't understand why they would put forth the engineering effort to put a whole new engine in the GT500 when its getting a major redesign in 2 years or so.If anything they can get the same numbers out of the current 5.4L rig...

I agree. I would be willing to bet that the 2013 GT500 will still be a supercharged 5.4L while the all new 2014 gets a twin turbo version of the 5.0L Coyote. A new power-plant that would require that much new engineering for only 1 year makes no sense at all.

Obviously they'll be using that same engine in the new version and/or other vehicles going forward.

If this is true:

- GT500 is getting a new engine in the last model year for this body style

then I'm guessing at least one of the following is also true:

- The Mustang's front subframe, frame rails, and wheelwells are not changing when the Mustang is overhauled

- The new engine will use an existing block that is already being installed in the Mustang (5.0L or 5.4L)

I agree. I would be willing to bet that the 2013 GT500 will still be a supercharged 5.4L while the all new 2014 gets a twin turbo version of the 5.0L Coyote. A new power-plant that would require that much new engineering for only 1 year makes no sense at all.

Why wouldn't the engineering carry over to the 2014 model? It actually gives you an extra year of real world testing on the engine before it goes into the 2014 model.

Why wouldn't the engineering carry over to the 2014 model? It actually gives you an extra year of real world testing on the engine before it goes into the 2014 model.

This is Ford we are talking about! LOL

When was the last time they launched a new engine in a previous gen car that went into a new product?

Ford's mantra is either launch it when its redone....or a year afterwards...not before!

:P :lol:

If this is true:

- The Mustang's front subframe, frame rails, and wheelwells are not changing when the Mustang is overhauled

- The new engine will use an existing block that is already being installed in the Mustang (5.0L or 5.4L)

or that the replacement was designed to fit the existing powerpacks.

I will say it agina the mustang has too many structural hard points. it would be easier to redesign than to try to accommodate those hard points.

If this is true:

See above. If the next Mustang is truly "all new", then the engineering to fit the inter-cooler & piping would be different than the current one. But, if the next Mustang shares the front sub-frame, etc. like Richard is suggesting, then I could see them going thru the trouble of upgrading the 2013 GT500 since it will carry over.

Edited by NLPRacing

See above. If the next Mustanfg is truly "all new", then the engineering to fit the inter-cooler & piping would be different than the current one. But, if the next Mustang shares the front sub-frame, etc. like Richard is suggesting, then I could see them going thru the trouble of upgrading the 2013 GT500 since it will carry over.

Or maybe they are taking the '13 and '14 both into account when building the '13 so that the engine will be plug-and-play with both cars.

We don't really know, but it is fun to play internet engineer! :)

• Like 1

Or maybe they are taking the '13 and '14 both into account when building the '13 so that the engine will be plug-and-play with both cars.

We don't really know, but it is fun to play internet engineer! :)

I guess that's possible, but when have you ever seen Ford introduce a new engine in the last year of a model run then carry it over to an all new vehicle? It could happen, but in the meantime, back to the wild speculation! :happy feet:

I guess that's possible, but when have you ever seen Ford introduce a new engine in the last year of a model run then carry it over to an all new vehicle? It could happen, but in the meantime, back to the wild speculation! happy feet.gif

True, but as we have heard, coupling new/upgraded engines to redesigns is a thing of the past. The engine will be added when it's ready. Typically they are a year or two after the new model, but maybe this time it will be a year before? Agreed on the wild speculation though! :shift:

Great numbers for all of the cars.....

I too wonder how the Mustang will be able to put that kind of power down. I have driven a ZR1 Corvette with similar power and even with 50/50 weight distribution it is very hard to launch...

My 2005 Saleen powered GT was producing a little over 500hp and with the largest tire I could get under the fender it roasted them.....

True, but as we have heard, coupling new/upgraded engines to redesigns is a thing of the past. The engine will be added when it's ready. Typically they are a year or two after the new model, but maybe this time it will be a year before? Agreed on the wild speculation though! :shift:

This. Ford isn't intentionally introducing engines after reworks, they're releasing things when they're ready. If the engine is ready for MY2013, then it will be released MY2013.

• Like 1

See above. If the next Mustang is truly "all new", then the engineering to fit the inter-cooler & piping would be different than the current one. But, if the next Mustang shares the front sub-frame, etc. like Richard is suggesting, then I could see them going thru the trouble of upgrading the 2013 GT500 since it will carry over.

It's entirely possible that the front architecture will mostly carry over. The front suspension and steering is actually quite good, it's the back end that could use the most work.

I guess that's possible, but when have you ever seen Ford introduce a new engine in the last year of a model run then carry it over to an all new vehicle? It could happen, but in the meantime, back to the wild speculation! :happy feet:

When has Ford done a blown V8 over 600 HP? Things change.