MKT EB Priced as old 3.7L Prices

If it was not so damned ugly, It would be a great deal....

In 1588, the English dramatist John Lyly, in his Euphues and his England, wrote:

"...as neere is Fancie to Beautie, as the pricke to the Rose, as the stalke to the rynde, as the earth to the roote."

Translation....

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

In 1588, the English dramatist John Lyly, in his Euphues and his England, wrote:

"...as neere is Fancie to Beautie, as the pricke to the Rose, as the stalke to the rynde, as the earth to the roote."

Translation....

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

No it's not, at least not fundamentally. Research has proven that beauty is a universal concept that is informed by principles engrained in nature. Now affection for ugly things is another matter, usually guided by cultural principles that obscure or override instinct. The MKT is a fundamentally flawed design, all humans will instinctually know this...which is to say the designers knew they had created a bad vehicle.

You obviously don't go to Wal-Mart! :hysterical:

I can't say I've never been, but I use to work at Meijers as a teenager and all the weirdos actually worked there. I lasted about a week ;)

Edited by BORG

No it's not, at least not fundamentally. Research has proven that beauty is a universal concept that is informed by principles engrained in nature. Now affection for ugly things is another matter, usually guided by cultural principles that obscure or override instinct. The MKT is a fundamentally flawed design, all humans will instinctually know this...which is to say the designers knew they had created a bad vehicle.

I think the MKT looks great. I don't worry about what the "Internet Collective" has to say when it comes to automotive styling.

• Like 1

There's a couple of the things on the MKT I don't like. Simply, the front and the rear. It seems they tried the Flex idea of polarizing opinion. Now, those who own each love them. Unfortunately, it's not enough to generate sales and frankly a lot of the 'Internet Collective' has a degree of sway where potential buyers are concerned. As for the MKT being a fundamentally flawed design, I can't say except I don't like the MKT but love the Flex.

The nature of language perhaps but "beauty" is simply a human construct that has no meaning outside of spoken language. It's merely a sensation of the sapient being perceiving it. In other words, it has no universal meaning; subjective.

I believe it was Charles Darwin that referred to nature as being "ugly" based on his principle of survival of the fittest.

I do agree that the MKT is hideous, however. I would also like a poll that says most of the target market finds it ugly.

Unfortunately, it's not enough to generate sales

How many MKTs do you think Ford should be selling? How many units are being sold of competitive vehicles?

I agree it's not selling great but you also have to look at in context because the market for such a vehicle is really small.

How many MKTs do you think Ford should be selling? How many units are being sold of competitive vehicles?

I agree it's not selling great but you also have to look at in context because the market for such a vehicle is really small.

None of us know how many MKT's Ford thought they could sell each month, but we can all agree it has got to be more than what they currently sell. I don't know if we could call it a failure or not, but free EcoBoost kind of tells us Ford would like to move a few more than they currently do.

I don't have in front of me how many the company planned/wanted to sell as a start point. I also believe the Flex did not meet it's original target number either. I acknowledge that and the market itself has been up and down. That would be a contributing factor as well.

I agree I should look at the context. I'll take it further, Is a Luxury full-size crossover a large market compared to Luxury full-size sedans or full-size SUV's? Are Luxury full-size crossovers in demand?

I don't have in front of me how many the company planned/wanted to sell as a start point. I also believe the Flex did not meet it's original target number either. I acknowledge that and the market itself has been up and down. That would be a contributing factor as well.

I agree I should look at the context. I'll take it further, Is a Luxury full-size crossover a large market compared to Luxury full-size sedans or full-size SUV's? Are Luxury full-size crossovers in demand?

But see people also forget that Flex and MKT are also just extensions of the Taurus/MKS/Explorer D3s so a lot of the engineering is shared

while the uniqueness comes from the outer skin and trim variations which are relatively cow cost in the big scheme of things...

Let's also not forget that the average transaction prices for Flex and MKT are around $37K and +$40K respectively so the return is pretty good.

I couldn't hurt for Ford to maybe try some ADVERTISING once in a while too...

Edited by jpd80

The nature of language perhaps but "beauty" is simply a human construct that has no meaning outside of spoken language. It's merely a sensation of the sapient being perceiving it. In other words, it has no universal meaning; subjective.

I believe it was Charles Darwin that referred to nature as being "ugly" based on his principle of survival of the fittest.

I do agree that the MKT is hideous, however. I would also like a poll that says most of the target market finds it ugly.

Beauty is in the math of the universe, the universe from which man was assembled and is now able to recognize the formula and can give it a name.

Beauty is in the math of the universe, the universe from which man was assembled and is now able to recognize the formula and can give it a name.

I agree, I was just being argumentative :P

Saw an MKT on the road for the first time yesterday... You guys totally over-hype it's ugliness!

Its just weird looking... Especially that hump on the side. Okay, it's ugly but just not Aztek-ugly.

The Ford Explorer on the other hand,(I see quite a few now) is a thing of beauty. Ford needs to offer an Explorer SHO(Please don't give it the SHO moniker)

FWIW, I believe the MKT should have been more like a MKS station wagon or sports wagon.

Actually, I'm surprised Ford didn't Lincolnize the Flex and make MKS in standard wheelbase

and something like a 117.9" EL wheelbase to replace Town Car...