The Honda Civic and its fall from grace.

Honda is learning the hard way you can't rest on your laurels. Their design team is horrible. The Accord, Pilot, and Civic are all poor efforts. You can only count on their reliability and that alone will not sell cars anymore. It reminds me of Volvo always harping about safety, they rode that horse for along time (along with poor boxy styling) until most other cars had 5 star safety ratings and 6 airbags or so and looked so much better. At now look at Volvo, another fall from grace.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 3

Maybe so but do those critics are hardly an accurate reflection of how the market perceives Honda?

I don't think so, people will continue buying them regardless of what the critics say or think...

So, it's up to Ford to keep pressing them all the way with great products

and keep getting those conquest sales from disaffected owners...

Edited by jpd80

Maybe so but do those critics are hardly an accurate reflection of how the market perceives Honda?

I don't think so, people will continue buying them regardless of what the critics say or think...

So, it's up to Ford to keep pressing them all the way with great products

and keep getting those conquest sales from disaffected owners...

Of course the market perception will not change over night, but if Ford (and others) can continue to show that they can build reliable vehicles while also offering catchy styling, high quality materials, and desired features, then Honda will find itself with more and more of those disaffected owners over the years.

Remember: Detroit didn't lose the market in one year either.

Some faithfuls will buy it because it's Honda, and whatever preconceived notions they might have but buyers reading articles such as these will probably give them enough reason to try some others instead. Sad part is the Focus again was sited for its poor shifting transmission...I guess CR didn't get Fords PR memo of "Oh it's like that, thats normal its an advanced transmission" letter...

Or they did and they didn't care. A rough-shifting transmission is a rough-shifting transmission. If that is by design, it is a bad design.

I thought the Focus automatic was a paragon of fuel efficiency? At 40 MPGs (not sure what CR got) it's not so good.

The 2012 Civic in Consumer Reports testing returned, "... an impressive 30 mpg overall on regular fuel and 47 mpg on the highway."

• Like 1

Perhaps if, instead of a "a 140-hp, 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine " the Civic had a "160-hp, 2.0-liter, four-cylinder engine" the difference of 28mpg for the Focus versus 30 mpg for the Civic might not be as large.

In the meantime, the Civic "has slid backward with its redesign. It feels insubstantial against recently-redesigned competition.. Vague steering weakens its agility and robs it of its fun-to-drive feel. Stopping distances are long, the ride is choppy, and road noise is pronounced" while the Focus "with sporty handling, a supple ride, relatively low noise, and a solid feeling interior, drives more like an upscale compact sports sedan."

Aren't quotes great?

I thought the Focus automatic was a paragon of fuel efficiency? At 40 MPGs (not sure what CR got) it's not so good.

The 2012 Civic in Consumer Reports testing returned, "... an impressive 30 mpg overall on regular fuel and 47 mpg on the highway."

Like stated before, the Focus has 20 HP more and weighs 2,935 where as the Civic is 2795 (using Top End models for curb weight)

I'm sure that Focus owners can get 40+ MPG out their cars also, but you can't advertise anything but EPA tested numbers...

Autoblog is reporting that Consumer Reports has rated the Elantra and the Focus over the '12 Civic. Not only that...but the Civic has been rated "too low to be recommended." Ouch.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/01/honda-civic-loses-recommended-rating-from-consumer-reports/

A lot is being made of this, and for good reason. Trust me though, over at Honda WE KNOW. This isn't being taken lightly.

So what to do? Kamikaze attacks on Consumer Report? :shift:

nope, checks will be made good.....honestly though, ANY vehicular tests recommendations from CR should either be taken with a grain od salt or completely ignored....toasters on the other hand, not to mention Kitchen Towels should definitely be taken seriously....

nope, checks will be made good.....honestly though, ANY vehicular tests recommendations from CR should either be taken with a grain od salt or completely ignored....toasters on the other hand, not to mention Kitchen Towels should definitely be taken seriously....

Indeed! I'm not buying CR's MPGs on the Civic. (as reported above) 47 MPG freeway? Not from users. Were they quoting the Hybrid @ 44 MPGs?

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Honda2012.shtml

Here the Focus does better than the Civic

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2012_Ford_Focus.shtml

Premium fuel in manual trans Civics?

Some of the ECO Foci are getting well over 40 MPGs.

http://forums.focaljet.com/new-focus/650083-2012-focus-eco-champion-mpg.html

Edited by timmm55

Well Ford pulled this stunt once when they introduced the '96 Taurus, but I think they learned their lesson on that one. I honestly think one of the reasons why we were treated to such a bland Five Hundred in 2005 is because Ford was so scared after the '96 Taurus styling disaster. Actually the 2000+ Taurus looked pretty good at the time and if that would have been the Taurus that was introduced in 1996 I think Ford would have held the sales leadership in the midsize market at least until it became long in the tooth.

I still feel the current Caravan/Town and Country was a step backwards from the previous design so I think every automaker is guilty of doing this once in awhile. Honda believes that H on the grille will sell anything... we will see how that works for them this time.

As the Autoblog guys pointed out in their podcast this week, the kind of people who put a lot of stock in CR ratings are the same people who've been buying Civics for years. This is a hit right in the breadbasket, and I expect there's some scrambling going on over at HQ. Ford can help the Focus a lot with some software fixes (and a beefed up supply chain). But Civic's problems run deeper, and the fixing of some might create others. Adding more insulation for road noise, for example, would increase the car's weight and then they must address the negative effects of a porkier vehicle.

As the Autoblog guys pointed out in their podcast this week, the kind of people who put a lot of stock in CR ratings are the same people who've been buying Civics for years. This is a hit right in the breadbasket, and I expect there's some scrambling going on over at HQ. Ford can help the Focus a lot with some software fixes (and a beefed up supply chain). But Civic's problems run deeper, and the fixing of some might create others. Adding more insulation for road noise, for example, would increase the car's weight and then they must address the negative effects of a porkier vehicle.

What road noise? the Focus problems are the MFT and the Automatic. Fix them and it's a damn near perfect small car!

• Like 2

such a bland Five Hundred in 2005

Both it and especially the '06 Fusion were intended to use the styling 'language' of the Ford Mondeo:

fordmondeo03thum.jpg

As you can see above, using European designs in the US only works when the designs in Europe are good. When they are horrible, as the 2nd gen. Mondeo was, you get, well, what you get.

Both it and especially the '06 Fusion were intended to use the styling 'language' of the Ford Mondeo:

fordmondeo03thum.jpg

As you can see above, using European designs in the US only works when the designs in Europe are good. When they are horrible, as the 2nd gen. Mondeo was, you get, well, what you get.

In my opinion the Fusion turned out a lot better then the Five Hundred as far as styling is concerned.

Honda falls, and Hyundai steps right in, no break for Ford.

It is not a bad thing. If hyundai can take away market share from Toyota and Honda, then Toyota and Honda have to increase the price for their cars or further cut the cost of their vehicles, both of which are very challenge in current situation. There are always 40 to 45% of American who only buy big three, so only 55 to 60% market shares are for Japanese, Korean, German, or Chinese in the future. The more competitors participate in this 55% market share, the better the chance for the big three implement their strategy, the more the difficult for those foreign companies survive in US market. Who let dogs out! they should eat each other now.