2013 Lincoln MKS

IMHO, it'll be fine. IIRC, the sled/platform has 2 model years, 2013 & 2014 before being replaced on a new platform, so major sheet-metal changes are probably impractical, and not really necessary, as the overall design has no aesthetic problems.

IMHO, it's the NEXT MK S that's crunch time, as it's designed by a Ford Motor Company that has enough money to eliminate a lot of compromises. With features like active noise suppression designed in from the beginning. :)

IMHO, it'll be fine. IIRC, the sled/platform has 2 model years, 2013 & 2014 before being replaced on a new platform, so major sheet-metal changes are probably impractical, and not really necessary, as the overall design has no aesthetic problems.

IMHO, it's the NEXT MK S that's crunch time, as it's designed by a Ford Motor Company that has enough money to eliminate a lot of compromises. With features like active noise suppression designed in from the beginning. :)

It wouldn't stop Ford/Lincoln from doing an intermediate, an MCE that moves the styling in the direction of the all new cars,

I think that is what we will be seeing, those new stylings will make the cars look really fresh until the new platform takes over..

The upcoming MKS will be a mild refresh of the current car. The MKZ (new Fusion platform) will the first of the new Lincolns'. Peter D. says it's "sensational."

CTS has always been the darling of the Cadillac line up, it cost GM a fortune and by contrast, Lincoln's MKZ will be a fraction of the cost

so the recovery wil be even better even if the sales are not as high as CTS.

This is going to get interesting....

Interesting...evolutionary design that compliments the existing one instead of clashing with it...but there is nothing terribly innovative going on here, but it is distinctively modern Lincoln. The interior is predictable, but it looks great.

Edited by BORG

I hope they're planning on putting some sort of taillights/running lights on the trunk lid if they are moving the license plate to the bumper, because that's gonna be one gigantic slab of nothing on the trunk lid if they don't.

My thoughts exactly, but I think there is potential there to do something sharp with the sheet metal to make the rear-end more distinctive. But in the end, the MKS is going to be absolutely clobbered by the new XTS.

Edited by BORG

But in the end, the MKS is going to be absolutely clobbered by the new XTS.

Good. The MKS will do alright, but that will make the designers work that much harder on the next one, which will be truly representative of Lincoln's new design direction with the new design director.

And according to Wiki,2015 will be Lincoln's 100th. A new MKS might be a fine way to celebrate.:)

Here's a 1937 K-Series:

1937_Lincoln.jpg

Not to be negative, but I doubt this will be a whole lot more successful then the current MKS. It's not that the MKS is a bad car, it is just that a Taurus Limited or SHO is a much better value for the same basic car. Until the time comes when they can finally make the MKS something completely different and a true Lincoln flagship smart customers are still going to cross shop the Taurus and MKS. When you compare feature for feature the Taurus wins unless you put a huge price value on the prestige of owning a Lincoln branded vehicle.

• Like 1

Not to be negative, but I doubt this will be a whole lot more successful then the current MKS. It's not that the MKS is a bad car, it is just that a Taurus Limited or SHO is a much better value for the same basic car. Until the time comes when they can finally make the MKS something completely different and a true Lincoln flagship smart customers are still going to cross shop the Taurus and MKS. When you compare feature for feature the Taurus wins unless you put a huge price value on the prestige of owning a Lincoln branded vehicle.

I've rented a Taurus for a weekend and a fine car. My neighbour up the road has a MKS EB. Very sharp both in and out. I prefer the Taurus and the MKS need to stand out more.

But in the end, the MKS is going to be absolutely clobbered by the new XTS.

So a Caddy on a Buick platform is going to be better then a Lincoln on a Ford one? LOL

The one thing that shocked me after looking at fleet sales date is how badly Full sized cars (regardless of who they are made by) really sell in the retail market....IIRC most of them have at least 40-50% sales to fleets vs retail sales.

I don't see a huge change in the MKS numbers...I can see them selling in the 2500-3K range month in month out...which isn't bad for a 40K+ car.

Not bad. But if those actual images (not camo'd) are of the true care, I have only one issue, other than the new steering wheel. From many angles, that front end reminds me way too much of some of the last Bonnevilles or Grand Prix's that were produced. Not a bad thing, just a thing.

So a Caddy on a Buick platform is going to be better then a Lincoln on a Ford one? LOL

The one thing that shocked me after looking at fleet sales date is how badly Full sized cars (regardless of who they are made by) really sell in the retail market....IIRC most of them have at least 40-50% sales to fleets vs retail sales.

I don't see a huge change in the MKS numbers...I can see them selling in the 2500-3K range month in month out...which isn't bad for a 40K+ car.

The origin of the platform has nothing to do with it, it's a Caddy.

My thoughts exactly, but I think there is potential there to do something sharp with the sheet metal to make the rear-end more distinctive. But in the end, the MKS is going to be absolutely clobbered by the new XTS.

As it should, being all new. Well, except for the fact that it's mechanically identical to the LaCrosse in non-hybrid form.

And as I scroll down, it appears that someone else said the same thing. :P

They would be dancing in the streets if they sold 2500 MKS cars a month. They are just selling a speck over 1,000 a month now.

No, like the CTS and SRX. What's a Cimaron again?

Oh a platform that Caddy spent Billions on, has already killed off a platform mate and moved it over to a cheaper platform (SRX)...and all for what again?

Oh yeah...foglights are optional on a f'ing 35K+ SUV...WTF!

Oh a platform that Caddy spent Billions on, has already killed off a platform mate and moved it over to a cheaper platform (SRX)...and all for what again?

Oh yeah...foglights are optional on a f'ing 35K+ SUV...WTF!

It costs money to develop a luxury brand, Lincoln hasn't succeeded and they want to do it without risk or major investment. Tell me again why Lincoln is doing a better thing than Caddy? Oh that's right, we THINK they'll get it this time. Wrong! Caddy has done a much better job targeting new customers than Lincoln...Ford just doesn't understand the luxury field at all so they continue to stick with what they have always done. Ford has a spectacular lack of vision and innovation in this field, they just can't do it, they don't have the right people or visionaries and blame Mulally on his Lexus-vision for his complete lack of imagination.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

It costs money to develop a luxury brand, Lincoln hasn't succeeded and they want to do it without risk or major investment. Tell me again why Lincoln is doing a better thing than Caddy? Oh that's right, we THINK they'll get it this time. Wrong! Caddy has done a much better job targeting new customers than Lincoln...Ford just doesn't understand the luxury field at all so they continue to stick with what they have always done. Ford has a spectacular lack of vision and innovation in this field, they just can't do it, they don't have the right people or visionaries and blame Mulally on his Lexus-vision for his complete lack of imagination.

We don't just "think" they'll get it right this time - we think they're totally committed to doing it this time. They killed Mercury; they hired a dedicated design team; they hired a team of 85 people to oversee the turnaround. When has Ford EVER put this much effort into Lincoln? When has

YOU haven't seen Lincoln's vision yet so how can you critique it?