2013 Ford Escape Details

Here is my wild ass guess for North America model line up

Escape S (fleet order only): 2.5 TiVCT 185 hp, 5 speed manual, 6 speed auto optional, FWD only

Escape SE: 2.5 TiVCT, 6 speed auto, FWD/AWD

Escape SEL: 2.5 TiVCT, 6 speed auto, FWD/AWD; optional 2.0 Ecoboost 240 hp, 6 speed auto, AWD only

Escape Titanium: 2.5 TiVCT 6 speed auto, FWD only; optional 2.0 Ecoboost, 6 speed auto AWD only

SFE package on SE or SEL: 1.6 Ecoboost 180hp, 6 speed DCT, FWD only

For Europe I'm guessing:

1.6 Ecoboost in 160 and 180 hp versions

2.0 TDci in 140 and 160 hp versions

2.0 Ecoboost in 200 and 240 hp version (maybe)

2.2 TDci in 175 hp version

For Asia/Australia I'm guessing

2.0 TiVCT 160 hp

2.2 TDci 175 hp

2.0 Ecoboost 240 hp

That is probably close however I don't think there will be a manual at all, not even on a stripper S model and I would think the 2.0 Ecoboost will be available in both FWD and AWD models. That is the only difference of opinion that I have over your example line-up.

Here is my wild ass guess for North America model line up

Escape S (fleet order only): 2.5 TiVCT 185 hp, 5 speed manual, 6 speed auto optional, FWD only

Escape SE: 2.5 TiVCT, 6 speed auto, FWD/AWD

Escape SEL: 2.5 TiVCT, 6 speed auto, FWD/AWD; optional 2.0 Ecoboost 240 hp, 6 speed auto, AWD only

Escape Titanium: 2.5 TiVCT 6 speed auto, FWD only; optional 2.0 Ecoboost, 6 speed auto AWD only

SFE package on SE or SEL: 1.6 Ecoboost 180hp, 6 speed DCT, FWD only

For Europe I'm guessing:

1.6 Ecoboost in 160 and 180 hp versions

2.0 TDci in 140 and 160 hp versions

2.0 Ecoboost in 200 and 240 hp version (maybe)

2.2 TDci in 175 hp version

For Asia/Australia I'm guessing

2.0 TiVCT 160 hp

2.2 TDci 175 hp

2.0 Ecoboost 240 hp

enthusiatsts request....ST version, FWD 6 speed manual, lowered and pinned down suspension bigger tire/ wheel package.....

enthusiatsts request....ST version, FWD 6 speed manual, lowered and pinned down suspension bigger tire/ wheel package.....

I could see an Escape Sport in the US like Edge Sport (e.g. suspension/tire package, slightly more hp)... but not "ST" per se.

Ford could probably get 260~270hp out of the 2.0 Ecoboost quite easily for the Sport (vs. 240hp for regular models).

Yes and no, with the way a certain Korean manufacturer is gaming the EPA numbers, a bumb in real-world mileage numbers is pretty useful.

Just wondering... how do you think the Korean manufacturers are "gaming" the EPA numbers?

I thought the EPA does the test.

2013 Escape + Focus ST powertrain = Lincoln Escape. I'm actually excited to see how this goes. :happy feet:

I admit I'm a bit of a "cylinder snob" so

Lincoln MKG/KuGa = 2.7v6 230hp, 2.7Hybrid 250hp, 2.7EB upto 350hp

tho

I could see some 4cyl small Lincolns IF there was a separate 'series' for them

OR

for the MKG,

a 1.6EB-PlugInHybrid !!!

(tho I really want ^that for the swoopy Focus/G.C-M-based MKE drool2.gif )

Edited by 2b2

I think it is no benefit to them to add it now. IF it won't improve the MPGs on the sticker.

If it has real world benefit, it will show on the sticker.

The larger problem is the extremely low maximums for VOCs and soot that are primarily emitted just after start. If you look at the standards for soot, VOCs and partially burned HCs, you'll see there's not much wiggle room.

Just wondering... how do you think the Korean manufacturers are "gaming" the EPA numbers?

I thought the EPA does the test.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/09/ask-the-best-and-brightest-which-automaker-may-be-fudging-their-epa-numbers/

As fuel economy becomes a bigger factor in car-buying decisions, the EPA needs to recognize that there is more riding on its weak, “faith-based” fuel economy testing regime than ever. It should not only investigate this allegation, but it should perform supplemental targeted verification tests on vehicles with “suspiciously high” fuel economy ratings. Consumers need to trust their window stickers, and if there are rumors of gamesmanship around the production of those numbers, competitive pressure will spread deceptive practices around the industry. This needs to be nipped on the bud.

Over lunch recently with a former product executive for a major automaker, I asked if he thought anyone was fudging their numbers.

He said that he doubted that a company would out-and-out cheat. But then he smiled and said that, well, there are ways to game the system.

For instance, he said, his former employer used to test 50 vehicles of a given model, knowing that a normal bell-shape distribution of results would probably produce one outlier with higher mpg. Results from that car would be reported.

But — here’s the kicker — the automaker decided to stop playing games. Not because other automakers complained. Not because the feds were applying pressure.

No, the automaker discovered that it was angering its customers, who complained that their mpg didn’t match the sticker.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/09/fuel-economy-fudge-gate-an-update/

I admit I'm a bit of a "cylinder snob" so

Lincoln MKG/KuGa = 2.7v6 230hp, 2.7Hybrid 250hp, 2.7EB upto 350hp

tho

I could see some 4cyl small Lincolns IF there was a separate 'series' for them

OR

for the MKG,

a 1.6EB-PlugInHybrid !!!

(tho I really want ^that for the swoopy Focus/G.C-M-based MKE drool2.gif )

Having to pay thousands more in the future for a Lincoln if one wants a V6 doesn't sound like a good deal to me. I guess all of you must be made of money bags and have lots of cash to throw around or don't mind being treated as second rate customers in the 4 cylinder only Fords. If they do have this new 2.7 V6 engine in the pipeline they should at least offer it in a Fusion or Escape Sport.

They can add all the special gee whiz features they want in the Lincolns, but there is no reason to hold back engines from the Fords just to make the Lincolns look better. People won't jump right over to Lincoln if they want a V6 they will jump over to another mainstream brand that offers one.

Having to pay thousands more in the future for a Lincoln if one wants a V6 doesn't sound like a good deal to me. I guess all of you must be made of money bags and have lots of cash to throw around or don't mind being treated as second rate customers in the 4 cylinder only Fords. If they do have this new 2.7 V6 engine in the pipeline they should at least offer it in a Fusion or Escape Sport.

They can add all the special gee whiz features they want in the Lincolns, but there is no reason to hold back engines from the Fords just to make the Lincolns look better. People won't jump right over to Lincoln if they want a V6 they will jump over to another mainstream brand that offers one.

CAFE looms large for all manufacturers and the only way around it is by offering more efficient engines like variable displacement or hybrids.

This is becoming less about what buyers "demand" and more about what manufacturers can fit under the product umbrella,

remember they are the ones who pay the fines for not meeting the ever tightening Annual CAFE rises, not the buyer...

V6 in cars and small SUVs will go the way of V8s, first they become an option , then an expensive one followed by not available.

Edited by jpd80