2012 Escape teaser ad

I'm talking about the dual display IP.

The dual 4" screens are not part of My Ford Touch. That's just My Ford. If you don't get My Ford Touch on the Focus (and I assume the new Escape) you get 2 4" screens - one in the IP and one in the center where the touch screen would have been. My Ford Touch replaces the center 4" screen with the larger touch screen.

Well, looks like we're going to see it next Wednesday...

Looks to me like L.A. Auto Show is turning into the major show in America. Ford is showing just about everything coming out over next 12 months or so:

New Escape

New Focus ST

New Focus ST-R

New Focus EV

New Fiesta ST concept

New MKS

New MKT

Not much left for Detroit other than new Fusion and maybe MCE Mustang. I would expect Ford to save new MKZ for Chicago or better yet NY. Both Jag and LR have pulled out of Detroit Show.

Looks to me like L.A. Auto Show is turning into the major show in America. Ford is showing just about everything coming out over next 12 months or so:

New Escape

New Focus ST

New Focus ST-R

New Focus EV

New Fiesta ST concept

New MKS

New MKT

Not much left for Detroit other than new Fusion and maybe MCE Mustang. I would expect Ford to save new MKZ for Chicago or better yet NY. Both Jag and LR have pulled out of Detroit Show.

It looks like allot, but the only major introduction is the Escape. Don't forget the Flex as well.

Looking forward to this one, but disappointed by the lack of the full MyFord Touch experience like the Edge (one more reasons to stay there).

That's a good thing IMO, I really dislike the low rent looking driver-pod gauges in the MKX, Edge, etc.

I fear the next Mondeo will get those low rent looks, since the current Fusion already has the low rent speedo/tach set up.

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

New Escape

New Focus ST

New Focus ST-R

New Focus EV

New Fiesta ST concept

New MKS

New MKT

Everything oriented towards urban (and I don't mean that in a Michael Scott sense) customers?

Edited by Noah Harbinger

The new Taurus should be at the Detroit Auto Show...I would hope. GM has a truckload of cars at the LA Auto Show. Ford tells me the New Taurus will NOT be shown at the LA show. I think that's wrong.

New Escape

New Focus ST

New Focus ST-R

New Focus EV

New Fiesta ST concept

New MKS

New MKT

The new Taurus should be at the Detroit Auto Show...I would hope. GM has a truckload of cars at the LA Auto Show. Ford tells me the New Taurus will NOT be shown at the LA show. I think that's wrong.

I'm hoping Ford has a surprise this auto show season as in new concept of vehicle that is close to getting green light like new Bronco, or F-100. Maybe even another Sport Trac based off of new Explorer with a little longer pickup bed.

The more of the new Escape that Ford reveals certainly points to it becoming a possible homerun. Choice of three fuel efficient engines. New features. I have a feeling fuel mileage figures that do come out will be class leading. Hope Ford can keep the tow rates up or past 3,000 pounds on the most powerful engine offered. The more multi-functional the new Escape is, the better it will sell as in pulling a boat or small to medium sized expandable camper. And hopefully you can still put a couple bikes in back upright and still keep the vehicle relatively aerodynamic. Finally, I hope the new Escape is as good as present one in deep snow and moderate off road use. If it can do all the above and offer even better handling and fuel mileage in a more stylish and useful package, then Ford will have a homerun assuming Ford doesn't go crazy with sticker prices.

Um it was at the NY Auto Show this past spring....it was more or less the replacement for the Lincoln that was supposed to be shown there.

Its going into production early next year...so you'll see plenty of them by April of 2012

Everything oriented towards urban (and I don't mean that in a Michael Scott sense) customers?

It is funny to think that a few years ago Ford built a reputation around being tough and outdoorsy and today they are moving their focus to mostly an urban and metrosexual image. I guess that is what today's customer wants and although I don't see an issue with it when it comes to cars like the Fiesta and Focus I think moving the entire line in that direction will be a mistake. There are a few of us who still like a vehicle that has an outdoorsy and tough image and we can't really afford to be cruising an F-150 around. I assume that is their thought... if the F-150 can be a replacement for the Ranger it can also be a replacement for any customer who still wants a vehicle with an outdoors sense of adventure. That is until they decide to also make the F-150 into an urban lifestyle vehicle.

Maybe it is just the camouflage, but this thing is minivan nasty from this angle... and I don't mean nasty in a good way.

FordEscape_d09_KGP_ed.jpg

Although many around here are cheering the end of the boxy Escape, I still think the look is handsome and timeless. That is just my opinion... that's all. I will never debate the fact that it was time for an update, but only debate the design direction they have taken with it.

2010-ford-escape-concept-rear-angle-view.jpg

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 2

It is funny to think that a few years ago Ford built a reputation around being tough and outdoorsy and today they are moving their focus to mostly an urban and metrosexual image. I guess that is what today's customer wants and although I don't see an issue with it when it comes to cars like the Fiesta and Focus I think moving the entire line in that direction will be a mistake. There are a few of us who still like a vehicle that has an outdoorsy and tough image and we can't really afford to be cruising an F-150 around. I assume that is their thought... if the F-150 can be a replacement for the Ranger it can also be a replacement for any customer who still wants a vehicle with an outdoors sense of adventure. That is until they decide to also make the F-150 into an urban lifestyle vehicle.

Maybe it is just the camouflage, but this thing is minivan nasty from this angle... and I don't mean nasty in a good way.

FordEscape_d09_KGP_ed.jpg

Although many around here are cheering the end of the boxy Escape, I still think the look is handsome and timeless. That is just my opinion... that's all. I will never debate the fact that it was time for an update, but only debate the design direction they have taken with it.

2010-ford-escape-concept-rear-angle-view.jpg

Bleh, that does not look good from this angle but I'm going to chalk it up to the camo...and the color is turning my stomach.

In other news, more pics! http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/11/spy-photos-2013-ford-escape-spotted-before-la-debut.html

Edited by BORG
  • Like 2

Bleh, that does not look good from this angle but I'm going to chalk it up to the camo...and the color is turning my stomach.

In other news, more pics! http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/11/spy-photos-2013-ford-escape-spotted-before-la-debut.html

The comments posted under those pictures aren't very kind, but the camo might just be playing tricks on the eyes. The biggest complaint I see around the web is not so much that it is ugly, but that it is just a copy of almost every small Asian CUV with a blue oval on it. Now people around here have argued that what people want is a copy when it comes to the style of a small SUV so I guess we will have to see how it does in the market.

We should find out more in a few days and I don't doubt it will be a good vehicle and dynamically superior to the current Escape, however the styling does nothing for me and isn't handsome or unique in any way.

By the way are the taillights that go into the tailgate just fake accents or reflectors? They don't appear to be operational lights to me.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

DETROIT NEWS has an article by John McCormick, "Escape embodies need vs. want"

Predicting what American consumers want in their future cars and trucks is like forecasting the weather; at best it's a shaky business.

At Ford, however, Sheryl Connelly, global trends and futuring manager, is sure that a real sea change has occurred in consumers' tastes.

Connelly studies a broad sweep of industries and their products, not just automotive. Her conclusion is that the 2008 recession, which deeply affected not just the middle and working classes but also the wealthiest Americans, has radically changed our outlook as consumers. "This is not a fad, it's a trend," says Connelly. "In this post-recession environment, the new mantra is to take what you need, not what you want."