2012 Escape teaser ad

Hmmm............... I'm a stay-at-home Mom who drives a 4x4 F250 CC V10 Lariat as her daily driver. I wonder what lovely stereotype 2005Ex would state about me??

I owned a 2003 Mazda Tribute ES AWD V6, and loved it. Great little trucklet, for 2003. Do I want to buy that same 2003, in 2013................... nope.

I understand that many resist change. It is human nature. However, with that change, comes many good things. Better crash safety, more features, better materials, significantly better fuel economy (remember that the new Explorer gets better fuel economy than the Escape), etc, etc. It is why we buy new cars. How about we wait until we can crawl around one, in person, before we crucify the design. Good grief already.

BTW, it was both my, and my husbands opinion that the Tribute looked much better than the Escape. The Escape looked cheap and boxy. My husband is about as far from "a prissy little metrosexual urban boy that wears Birkenstocks while I sip on my latte carrying my man purse over my shoulder," as you can get. He is a truck driver, and we live in an unincorporated development surrounded by National Forest. He thought the boxy Escape looked dated..................... in 2003.

In other words, to each his own.

BTW2, I would like to know how Ford is copying anyone but Ford.................. after all, the new Escape takes its design cues directly from the Focus. So, by extension, are you saying that the Focus is a copy of the CRV/RAV4/etc?? Frankly, it is called stretching......................... and you are stretching pretty far.

BTW2, I would like to know how Ford is copying anyone but Ford.................. after all, the new Escape takes its design cues directly from the Focus. So, by extension, are you saying that the Focus is a copy of the CRV/RAV4/etc?? Frankly, it is called stretching......................... and you are stretching pretty far.

So you don't think this...

20090515090929106.jpg

Looks anything like this?

FordEscape_d09_KGP_ed.jpg

I'd say there are a lot of window and roofline similarities. If anything the RAV4 actually looks nicer from this angle (if you got rid of that silly spare tire on the back.)

And is that a fake fender vent on the Escape or just trying to trick people? I thought those were out of style now.

Edited by 2005Explorer

However, with that change, comes many good things. Better crash safety, more features, better materials, significantly better fuel economy (remember that the new Explorer gets better fuel economy than the Escape), etc, etc.

But none of those things are directly related to how it looks (FE can be affected, but it's possible to have a more conventional SUV shape which is still aerodynamic).

So you don't think this...

20090515090929106.jpg

Looks anything like this?

FordEscape_d09_KGP_ed.jpg

I'd say there are a lot of window and roofline similarities. If anything the RAV4 actually looks nicer from this angle (if you got rid of that silly spare tire on the back.)

And is that a fake fender vent on the Escape or just trying to trick people? I thought those were out of style now.

Ummmm.................... ok. Lets see....................... 4 doors................ yep. Roof rack.................... yep. Spoiler over hatch................ yep. Taillights.................... yep. Of course the fact that there is next to no actual resemblence in any of those features shouldn't matter..................... those features, in and of themselves, are present on both.

So, my answer is no, I see next to no resemblence. The spoiler on the Escape is totally different, and more integrated. The roof is more contoured on the Escape. The side has much more sculpturing on the Escape. The taillights have absolutally no resemblence other than the color red. The second door does not have a "wing" window on the Escape, and the rear quarter window is shaped completely differently and is framed. The flares on the wheelwells are better integrated into the body, and not tacked on. The rear bumper looks like it is part of the body, instead of a protrusion off of it. Basically the RAV looks bulby and bloated with many tacked on features. The Escape is more fluid with more detailing.

Short of being 4-door CUV's, they look nothing alike.

• Like 1

Ummmm.................... ok. Lets see....................... 4 doors................ yep. Roof rack.................... yep. Spoiler over hatch................ yep. Taillights.................... yep. Of course the fact that there is next to no actual resemblence in any of those features shouldn't matter..................... those features, in and of themselves, are present on both.

So, my answer is no, I see next to no resemblence. The spoiler on the Escape is totally different, and more integrated. The roof is more contoured on the Escape. The side has much more sculpturing on the Escape. The taillights have absolutally no resemblence other than the color red. The second door does not have a "wing" window on the Escape, and the rear quarter window is shaped completely differently and is framed. The flares on the wheelwells are better integrated into the body, and not tacked on. The rear bumper looks like it is part of the body, instead of a protrusion off of it. Basically the RAV looks bulby and bloated with many tacked on features. The Escape is more fluid with more detailing.

Short of being 4-door CUV's, they look nothing alike.

So are you going to get rid of your F-250 and get one of these? I'm just trying to find someone on here that is ready to lay down the cash the day they show up at the dealer. So far so many are saying they just love it, however no one has said... Gotta have it. When almost every other vehicle has launched I noticed a few posters who were set on getting one, however with this vehicle it seems that the "love" hasn't translated into people saying they were running right down and getting one.

I wonder if Richard Jensen will get one? It seems like eventually Ford will sell something he would buy.

• Like 1

So are you going to get rid of your F-250 and get one of these? I'm just trying to find someone on here that is ready to lay down the cash the day they show up at the dealer. So far so many are saying they just love it, however no one has said... Gotta have it. When almost every other vehicle has launched I noticed a few posters who were set on getting one, however with this vehicle it seems that the "love" hasn't translated into people saying they were running right down and getting one.

I wonder if Richard Jensen will get one? It seems like eventually Ford will sell something he would buy.

Jeeeeesh 2005 Explorer. Enough already! We get it...you don't like the 2013 Escape. You hate it from a 2D picture and never having seen all the specs and actually driving one. At least quit until you see it in 3D and drive the damn thing. The beauty of choice is that if one manufacturer doesn't make what you want anymore, look somewhere else like Jeep for instance. Or failing that, buy a low mileage used present generation Escape when you use up the present one as we all know it's RWD, truck based, and tough as the toughest Jeep out there.

• Like 1

Or failing that, buy a low mileage used present generation Escape when you use up the present one as we all know it's RWD, truck based, and tough as the toughest Jeep out there.

Put down the crack pipe. Where have I ever said that the current one is a RWD, truck based, tough as a Jeep vehicle? Answer? Never.

But here I will just conform to what all of you want so we can just have nice mundane conversations where everyone shakes their head yes in agreement.

Sullynd the new Escape looks nothing like the the Hyundai Tucson. The design elements are so entirely different. The Tucson looks a lot like the other small CUVs, but the new Escape is so radically different from all the rest. Ford has really stuck their neck out with the design. It is revolutionary and jaw dropping.

There now all of you will be happy. (except for sullynd) lol

I love how so many of you criticize me, however I am one of the few around here who actually buys or leases a new Ford vehicle every 3 years like clockwork. You do realize Ford would be broke without people like me. Right? I'm not saying there aren't others on here that do the same, however if you are a person who drives an old used Ford around and never has any intention on buying a new vehicle then I don't see how you can criticize my opinion or say that people like me don't matter to Ford.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

You just have to get over the fact that you have a "dinosaur" and it seems to be burning your ass that Ford isn't keeping the Escape the WAY you want it...your not the automotive all knowing small SUV guru that you portray yourself to be...

Embrace change....its the only constant in your life...

From what I've seen most say in regards to the old Escape to the upcoming Escape. The old was unique in style, and the new will blend in and looks just like a copy cat of others like the Tucson and RAV4 for examples. No one has stated an updated wasn't needed. It's solely the execution of the body style that has people disliking it. I've never owned an Escape, but know a lot that have and do. Most preferred the more traditional looking SUV style, and that was one of the major selling points. Doesn't mean the new Escape will be bad, it may be a great overall vehicle. Issue is, the design used is too blah and looks like too many other small CUV's on the road. I embrace change, just the style direction is change that could have been better executed.

The vehicle hasn't debuted yet!!!! How can you covet anything before it has been unveiled? Man your griping has gotten on my last nerve...it keeps changing tone from conciliatory to accusatory.

And if makes you feel any better, my sister is waiting on this car because she HATES the current Escape! So indeed there are people waiting on this car like it or not.

That said, I like the design better than the curent Escape, but it's not a great one and I much prefer the Edge to this.

Heck, that's an idea, the Edge is now an aging SUV with a simple yet robust design characteristic, why not look there? And I'm completely serious!

Edited by BORG

Jeeeeesh 2005 Explorer. Enough already! We get it...you don't like the 2013 Escape. You hate it from a 2D picture and never having seen all the specs and actually driving one. At least quit until you see it in 3D and drive the damn thing. The beauty of choice is that if one manufacturer doesn't make what you want anymore, look somewhere else like Jeep for instance. Or failing that, buy a low mileage used present generation Escape when you use up the present one as we all know it's RWD, truck based, and tough as the toughest Jeep out there.

lost cause...his mind is already made up....next....

The vehicle hasn't debuted yet!!!! How can you covet anything before it has been unveiled? Man your griping has gotten on my last nerve...it keeps changing tone from conciliatory to accusatory.

And if makes you feel any better, my sister is waiting on this car because she HATES the current Escape! So indeed there are people waiting on this car like it or not.

That said, I like the design better than the curent Escape, but it's not a great one and I much prefer the Edge to this.

Heck, that's an idea, the Edge is now an aging SUV with a simple yet robust design characteristic, why not look there? And I'm completely serious!

I'm curious about the size of the new Ecape, it can't grow too big otherwise it will encroach on the Edge,

unless of course the Edge grows a bit too but we won't know that until Ford Europe releases details.....

I'm going to quote myself (what kind of asshole does that? :hysterical: ), but these are my remarks from a FB PM with a fellow BON'er. I think it's applicable here.

The funny thing, is that the profile of the current Escape isn't intentionally "classic" or "tough" styled, it's just a leftover from what "modern" styling was in the late 90's when it was designed. The Escape was actually considered "curvy" for a utility when it launched in 2001, especially when compared to the Cherokee and XTerra (first-gen Liberty was yet to hit the market, IIRC). The 2008 restyle was really what brought the Escape into the F-Series styling dictum, but the squared front and rear never really gelled with the profile. It's been a compromised design since day 1.

I do think the 2013 looks great, and the restyle helps more clearly define its place in the lineup. I would have been just as happy with a few more Explorer cues thrown in there (especially the roof and C-pillar treatment), but if the 2013 is as faithful to the Vertek concept as it appears to be, it's going to continue to find success.

So now it really comes out. You're just unnecessarily antagonistic about this because you're SHOCKED, personally offended and all worked up that no one thinks like you (that is, making snap judgments with incomplete information). You want people to tell you this is a "gotta have it" vehicle? Gimme a break---there are probably 5 vehicles in the entire world I GOTTA HAVE. I don't treat my car like an appliance--I do want features, design and power...but I'm hardly waiting with bated breath for ANYTHING. :banghead:

LOL Coming from you that's P R I C E L E S S.

Judging a car before it's unveiled? Pot, meet kettle.

There are degrees of information at hand, and with the Escape there is too much unknown to make a purchasing judgement...that is the issue in this conversation. Sure, we know what it looks like and can critique it based on that...but features, engines, trim packages, pricing, are all unknowns outside of speculation and deduction. Explorer certainly can hate on it all he wants because of the way it looks...but the amount of kvetching based on speculation and anecdotal or personal data is really wearing me thin. I for one am quite excited by the potentl of the new Escape, although I am absolutely wiling to see the problem with the design and spirit of the new vehicle for some people!

Edited by BORG

I'm curious about the size of the new Ecape, it can't grow too big otherwise it will encroach on the Edge,

unless of course the Edge grows a bit too but we won't know that until Ford Europe releases details.....

Why would we look to Ford Europe for whether or not the Edge grows in its next iteration?

Isn't it still selling less than the ancient Lambdas?

Was the Explorer Ford's #2 selling model when it was replaced?

Changes in the Market (both in Consumers needs and wants) is why the Explorer isn't #2 selling model any more...

As for outselling the Lambdas...the Explorer is outselling them on a nameplate comparison, but not on a platform one...