Ford Used Car Dealers Aren't Flexible on Price?

My family is searching for a used F150 4WD (2004-2007) and it seems that every Ford Dealer we visit refuses to budge on the firm price. I recall being able to get around a 5% break on the firm price, but not lately at any local Dealers. We are thinking of looking at private sellers , but they are also posting firm KellyBluebook prices. Anyone think its better to go private or dealer? We are getting desperate to find a F150 /5.4 litre 4wd Supercab. Is this a bad time to buy a used F150? It seems that inventories are low. Should we wait till spring?

There will be no price relief on used/cars and trucks in the immediate future. I suggest you take a look at the low financing on new cars and compare that to the cost and payment on a used vehicle.

You can get great discounts on new trucks these days.

You can thank cash for clunkers and other factors for the high used car prices.

There will be no price relief on used/cars and trucks in the immediate future. I suggest you take a look at the low financing on new cars and compare that to the cost and payment on a used vehicle.

You can get great discounts on new trucks these days.

You can thank cash for clunkers and other factors for the high used car prices.

The "other" apparently trivial factors include the effects of financial discipline eliminating irresponsible loans, massive incentives and fleet dumping. Which of course means there are far fewer new cars going into the system than before while the number of new registrations continues to go up.

My family is searching for a used F150 4WD (2004-2007) and it seems that every Ford Dealer we visit refuses to budge on the firm price. I recall being able to get around a 5% break on the firm price, but not lately at any local Dealers. We are thinking of looking at private sellers , but they are also posting firm KellyBluebook prices. Anyone think its better to go private or dealer? We are getting desperate to find a F150 /5.4 litre 4wd Supercab. Is this a bad time to buy a used F150? It seems that inventories are low. Should we wait till spring?

A bit of advice do not even think about a 5.4 3V (04-07) unless selling party can produce service re cords that plugs have been changed and cam phasers have been changed or u will be buying big problems!!! 5.4 3V with a build date after 10/07 should be OK as ford did a design change in the heads, and supposedly cam phaser issue had been addressed???

A bit of advice do not even think about a 5.4 3V (04-07) unless selling party can produce service re cords that plugs have been changed and cam phasers have been changed or u will be buying big problems!!! 5.4 3V with a build date after 10/07 should be OK as ford did a design change in the heads, and supposedly cam phaser issue had been addressed???

Also, don't look up, because you may find that the sky is falling!

• Like 1

Supply vs. Demand. Low supply means higher and firmer prices.

You could go something like CarMax, if you're leery of a private seller. At least they offer a warranty (or used to, I think). Not saying the price will be better, but could bring added peace of mind.

Another thing, the dealer may have "Ford" on the sign, but as far as used cars he's representing himself, not Ford, unless we're talking C.P.O.

And even then I don't know just how far FOMOCO comes into play.

To add, The F150 is popular in the used car market. Remember how many people depend on those vehicles for their business, and you will have many small business guys who just do not qualify for a new loan who have no option than to go used either. Creating demand. As used vehicles go, you always go for the vehicle that depreciates the most NOT because itsa bad vehicle, but because not many care for it. As for the F150, many DO care for it.

In this overvalued used vehicle market, he's doing the right thing looking at 5 to 8 year old used vehicles that do offer better value for the buck assuming you find a good unit. And that is not that hard granted you get thorough PPI done by good mechanic who really knows the vehicle and what to look for. At least you go into it with your eyes open. Two year old used vehicles cost almost as much as new and in some cases more if you consider their mileage and higher interest costs in financing them. So you really have to look at older vehicles to get a good deal. Finding a really good used vehicle is even kind of fun like being in good treasure hunt. With proper knowledge and research, you can find that treasure and save lots of money.

• Like 1

I have noticed the same thing here, not a lot of wiggle room in used car inventories so dealers are sticking firm. That said the investment from the dealer is one hell of a lot more than "Sold as is" private party sales, Certification alone, plus the backing of a100,000 mile powertrain warranty, acess to subveened interest rates if financing all come at a cost. You have also answered your own question to an extent...."it seems inventories are low........"

Good advice kenp77! Intake cam phasing hardware does seem to be more reliable in the newer 4.6L and 5.4L 3-valve/cylinder engines (MY 2009 and 2010 F-150).

Also, production volumes of models built between 2006 to 2010 was much less than the preceeding years

causing a dry up of late model used vehicles which in turn makes good quality older vehicles more desirable.

See what happens when manufacturers dry up excess production, the residual values increase due to limited supply

but those people with a two to five year old F150 will probably get higher prices selling private than their lease residual,

drying up dealer used vehicle inventory even more as sellers ask higher prices.

A new F150 on a great low interest lease plan may be looking more attractive to buyers as used prices stay higher,

this could be very good news for Ford and similarly for GM and Chrysler buyers too...I think this is why analysts have

changed SAAR projections for this year from 14 million to close on 15 million, the good times are coming back....

Edited by jpd80

Eh, I'd consider the 5.4 3V plug issue to be a legitimate gripe in this case.

Maybe, but it's really not as big of a deal as he makes it out to be. Seriously, you change the plugs at 100k, you pay the dealership $500 (a lot yes, but it covers fixing broken plugs) and be done with it. Compared to the other costs of running a truck, that is small potatoes. I know a LOT of people with 3V 5.4's (I had one myself) and none of them have had an issue. Anecdotal, I know, but it's really not as big a deal as some people would like to think it is. I think this is similar to the "plug-spitting" issue in the 2V engines. Yes, it happens, but it happens to such a small percentage of the engines out there, that it really isn't a big deal.

Sarcasm noted, but I got bit hard and don't think I am alone???

I understand your concern. Obviously, if it happens to you, the percentage of occurrence is 100%, and that sucks!

yep...chevy dealer was firm on the f150....it appears all the Big 3 dealers do not wiggle on price much.....then you add 6% sales tax! Yikes!

I know it is always best to buy a used Ford on a Ford lot, but have you checked pricing for a used F150 at a Chevrolet or Dodge dealer?

Rule of thumb is that the person was satisfied with their Ford and came in and bought a new one to replace it. However, with mega dealers with multiple outlets and marques, they can simply bring the traded in Ford from the Honda dealership and run it through the Ford store instead.

You do realize that used car managers buy their used cars from auctions just like every other used car dealership? They might cherrypick some trade-ins but most probably go straight to auction.

There is no way to tell if that used F150 was traded in at the dealership or bought at auction.

• Like 2

I never understood how buying a half worn out vehicle for half of new price is saving money. With new you get a warranty, lower finance rates (if you need a loan), and with new you can finance for longer period, since you are buying twice the vehicle as a used up vehicle. New may be cheaper, since you're buying 100% of the vehicle life.

• Like 1

I never understood how buying a half worn out vehicle for half of new price is saving money. With new you get a warranty, lower finance rates (if you need a loan), and with new you can finance for longer period, since you are buying twice the vehicle as a used up vehicle. New may be cheaper, since you're buying 100% of the vehicle life.

It's typically better (price-wise) to buy a 2-3 year old vehicle than a new one. There is a huge depreciation hit as soon as you drive a brand-new vehicle off the lot. There are some exceptions, though. I bought my '05 F150 on 12/31/2005 for LESS than the used car lot would take for an '04 with 25k miles. It was the right time of year, the incentives were high, and there were also some Ford to dealer incentives that my dealer returned to me.

When I bought my '08 F250 (about 1 year ago), I saved $13k off the cost of a new truck comparably equipped, and that was after I spent $1100 to add an extended warranty. The truck had 26k miles on it, so it was just getting broke in. This is the first used vehicle I bought though, as I typically buy new. I like to know how my stuff is taken care of, and I like to get exactly what I want, and the extra cost to buy new is worth it to me. In this case, though, I just couldn't swing the extra to buy new, so I bought a nearly perfect 3 year old truck for much less $$$.

With a good credit score, you can get just as good a rate on a used vehicle through a credit union (unless the new vehicle is for 0%). My truck is at 2.29% for 5 years at a credit union. Length of loan may not be quite as long on a used truck, but if you have to go longer than 5 years, you're buying too much vehicle for your pocketbook (IMHO), especially on a used vehicle.