Ten most advanced cars of their decades

Even this article is in denial of disruptive technology. Tesla is billions of years ahead of everyone and are about to launch products that are far ahead of anything out there.

Cars have only been around for 120 +/- years. How can you determine that someone is "billions of years ahead" of someone else? Just how much technology could be developed in billions of years? confused.gif

Even this article is in denial of disruptive technology. Tesla is billions of years ahead of everyone and are about to launch products that are far ahead of anything out there.

And not one of them is priced under $60,000. Yeah. They're about to take over the industry alright. :rolleyes:

Ah, "bricks" in expensive limited-run chassis: that's far ahead, for sure. :hysterical:

Like I said, in denial of disruptive technology just like 2001 when Toyota introduced the Prius and gained a 10 year head start before anyone reacted.

Again, where's this "10 year head start"? Ford is launching two EV's this year numbskull.

Edited by NickF1011

Like I said, in denial of disruptive technology just like 2001 when Toyota introduced the Prius and gained a 10 year head start before anyone reacted.

So it was 2011 "before anyone reacted"? When did Ford produce its first hybrid? You know, with the technology that Toyota licenced from Ford? Are you on drugs, or is it just brain damage? :hysterical:

Electric cars date back 100 some years. Some assume that they were invented recently, duh, go look up auto history!

And who really thinks the Prius was the "only Hybrid for 10 years"? Escape and Fusion 'brids have been out for 7. So many myopic greenies think that Priuses run on thin air and would cure cancer overnight. There are many other "green" vehicles, including small gasoline cars with near Zero emissions, and will not leave batteries in landfills.

If they're "billions of years ahead," why can't they do something as relatively simple as keeping their parasitic systems from draining the batteries and leaving their owners with a $40k battery replacement bill?

If they're "billions of years ahead," why can't they do something as relatively simple as keeping their parasitic systems from draining the batteries and leaving their owners with a $40k battery replacement bill?

Now you know why it's called Disruptive Technology. :)

• Like 2

My goodness, what a seemingly naive or biased statement. Tesla's technology is far away from cutting edge. There have been electric motors and controllers of equal or greater technology manufactured in Germany and other countries for maybe a decade. The battery technology is basically banks or bricks of cell phone batteries. Eco-Boost with CGI is way ahead of this in my books. Infact, I'd happily take a B-Max EcoBoost, even without the CGI, over any current EV. I'd have greater practicality and life-cycle economy, and a lower life-cycle environmental footprint.

By the way, heavy metal contamination is really persistent.

I'm still waiting for Toyota to offer a Prius running on steam power using "clean coal." I would like a dollar for everytime Obama has used "clean coal" in a sentence. I would be a frickin' millonaire by now. Btw, the locomotive industry (EMD and GE) have been building "hybrid" engines for over 60 years and have gone from about 1500 hp engines in the 50's to over 6,000+ hp today using basically same engine design. A coal drag train pulls about 7 million pounds of weight on hybrid/electromotive power only. Enough built up kinetic energy to power a thermonuclear weapon at speeds of about 50 mph.

• Like 1

Btw, the locomotive industry (EMD and GE) have been building "hybrid" engines for over 60 years

IIRC, they've been diesel-electric hybrid locomotives for the better part of a century; they've at least been doing it since the '30s. The US Navy's WWII submarines were diesel-electric hybrids, with the diesel mills acting only as generators for the batteries.

IIRC, they've been diesel-electric hybrid locomotives for the better part of a century; they've at least been doing it since the '30s. The US Navy's WWII submarines were diesel-electric hybrids, with the diesel mills acting only as generators for the batteries.

I don't think hybrid is the correct term since those can only be propelled by electrical power. The ICE does not provide propulsion.

The US Navy's WWII submarines were diesel-electric hybrids, with the diesel mills acting only as generators for the batteries.

Not quite the same thing, Diesel Electric subs can run on either or...as long as the submarine is surfaced (or snorkeled) with diesel of course

Batteries on subs only last a couple hours...

Not quite the same thing, Diesel Electric subs can run on either or...as long as the submarine is surfaced (or snorkeled) with diesel of course

Batteries on subs only last a couple hours...

Nope--the diesels were only generators, at least in the fleet boats. The screws were turned by electric motors fed by the batteries.

IIRC, Gato-class boats used Fairbanks-Morse diesels, just like F-M diesel railroad locomotives. :)

Either the Gatos or Balaos (maybe both). One or two of the books I've read that were written by Silent Service officers complained about how they were initially stuck with (what they termed) inferior diesels while the F-M mills were going to the railroads. I think most of the autobiographies I read were of officers on Balao-class boats, but it has been a few years. The name Harder sticks in my mind for some reason, and she was a Gato, so who knows. I'll have to check my bookshelf.

FWIW, I'd assumed that the boats could run on either electric or direct-diesel power; it was one of those books that educated me on their real powertrain configurations.

To the nerd going ape-shit about the Tesla being 'billions of years ahead''

Well, one broke down at a CR test, they cost $100,000, and the company is near bankrupt. How the hell is that 'advanced'?

Make it sound as if they are the 'only' maker of e-cars, they cost $19.999, never need a recharge, and will run forever.