Ford Announces New Explorer Sport

Looks good. Besides, the 'Sport' name is used on the Current Fusion and Edge. Perhaps not in Fusion for the next generation but for now, not a big deal. In fact, having a 'Sport' attached to a CUV/SUV and in minivans in the past seems odd. Even the old Taurus had a SES sport trim which provokes a chuckle. Perhaps there's a few 'Sport' badges floating around we can put on the Explorers. In the end, I'm not too concerned over the name. An Explorer with the EB35 is just what the Doctor ordered. Heaven forbid a company actually gives the customer what they want. ;)

As the top of the Explorer line, Sport offers a robust array of standard and optional customer-focused technologies that make driving more comfortable, convenient and connected.

Wonder if the engine will ever trickle down into more affordable models? Or will this stay packaged with the top of the line model? I imagine this will base north of $40k?

I imagine that since they are already getting a decent amount of high end sales from the Explorer, this will only assist in retaining (or growing) those sales?

Edited by Intrepidatious

Wonder if the engine will ever trickle down into more affordable models? Or will this stay packaged with the top of the line model?

Flex and Taurus have kept the 3.5EB reserved for their top trims thus far, so I'd wager we'll see this as the "premium" Explorer engine for the foreseeable future.

I wonder if Ford is going to leave out HID headlamps like they did on the Edge Sport. I still can't understand why they don't make them part of the Vision Package, or just a free standing option on lower Edge, Taurus, Explorer, Focus, and Escape models. Its not like changing the headlamp assemble is that difficult when it is on the line, and they are already available in DOT std for those model lines. We don't even require the costly auto-level systems like they do in Europe. They made them Std on the 2013 Mustang which was a good move.

Edited by jasonj80

I will take that red one please. :)

What a fabulous DD. Do note that the fuel economy numbers, like the hp, are "at least."

Perspective, this will get the same fuel economy as my '03 Tribute ES AWD. It weighs 1500lbs more, has almost double the power, has huge tires/wheels, and can tow 1500lbs more.

:D :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

• Like 2

Eh, I find the 3.7L to be more than adequate. That puppy really moves when you mash on the gas.

Of course it is but there are folks who can never get enough power.

I wonder if Ford is going to leave out HID headlamps like they did on the Edge Sport.

Because that would be one less reason to go for the higher priced MKX since the MKX and Edge Sport have the same drivetrain.

Very nice this is how Ford should advertise it

An unassuming couple (or maybe a family) driving the Ecoboost Explorer Sport encounters 2 different vehicles at 2 consecutive stop lights:

1st A parity on the that thing got a hemi guy in a V8 Durango revving the engine, laughing and pointing at the sport designation yelling: Sport! That thing got a… VROOOOOM the word hemi drowned out as the light turns green and the Durango speeds off racing itself…the couple in the Explorer looks at each other and shrugs.

2nd - At the next light - A yuppie couple (think like a current iteration of Julia Louis Dreyfus and her husband from Christmas Vacation) driving a BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne they are lowering their designer glasses, revving their engine, and looking down at the Ford snobbishly VROOOOOM the light turns green and the BMW/Porsche races off by itself…the couple in the Explorer looks at each other and shrugs.

The announcer breaks in New Explorer Sport 3XX Horsepower and 4XX lbs of torque With great power comes great responsibility! As another competitors SUV picks a race with the Explorer at the next light only to be resisted by the Ford.

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 1

Yep, it's a good possibility I will replace the MKX with this one. And again, that's only if Lincoln doesn't have a version on the roads in the next 10 months....and that looks unlikely at this point.

The latest Explorer is a very attractive vehicles and would easily fit into Australia when FoA drops Territory,

You can see where the money has been spent and it results in a top notch product. I'd be willing to bet that

a Titanium based Sports would attract a lot more luxury SUV buyers away from European brands.

This is another excellent effort from Ford and I cant wait to see the Aviator version.

I wonder whether there would be a place for an Explorer EL with Flex's longer wheelbase giving

even better third row room, maybe that vehicle would begin displacing Expedition/Navigator sales..

Edited by jpd80

I'd be willing to bet that

a Titanium based Sports would attract a lot more luxury SUV buyers away from European brands.

This is another excellent effort from Ford and I cant wait to see the Aviator version.

I agree. Give it 6 months after introduction to gather some momentum in the market. It will be interesting to see the next SEMA, when the tuners get to work on it. :)

Like the sound of the EB 3.5 finally being dropped into the Explorer. Just wonder if they'll b e able to boost towing over the 5K limit. Know it was stated it could still tow 5K, but will they offer anymore capability with the EB or keep it the same.

As for the style, I'm sorry but I like the Limited model much better. Not feeling those rim/tire combo. Rims just aren't appealing and not a fan of Hancook tires. Also, not feeling the blacked out head/tail lamps and grille. Typically I like these, example being the F150 and Flex. But something about the execution of those aspects on the Explorer just don't look good to me.

Otherwise, I know it spoke to a beefed up chassis and suspension, but like to see more details as they are released.

Edited by V8-X

Y'know, I appreciate the Traverse and the upcoming Malibu. The Cruze and Sonic. All good offerings from GM. Simply put, Ford is better and keeps getting better. Sounds Fanboyish I admit. If Ford puts out product people will buy and at a better profit margin then it's competitors, I consider that a victory full stop.