Ford Announces New Explorer Sport

Ok, so tell us for those people that typically purchase a GT500, SRT8, etc, how many are truly worried about mpgs???? crickets...

Sure, getting power and MPG's is a great feature of the EB. But most people buying vehicles like the GC SRT8 are least concerned with mpgs and more so with the hp/ft-lb, 0-60 & 1/4 mile times. Or they bought it to floss, but still could care less about mpgs.

lets twist this around the other way....why not buy a SUV or CUV that performs pretty well and still gets nearly the same Gas Mileage as the V6 model? Not to mention you can buy a lifetime's worth of fuel for the price difference between the Sport and SRT8.

Thats what I don't get....they might get compared...but at the same time there is a huge difference in price between the two of them...its not like Ford is marketing this as the ultrahigh performance CUV or SUV...its basically a sporty Explorer that has some go to go with its SHOw.....

lets twist this around the other way....why not buy a SUV or CUV that performs pretty well and still gets nearly the same Gas Mileage as the V6 model? Not to mention you can buy a lifetime's worth of fuel for the price difference between the Sport and SRT8.

Thats what I don't get....they might get compared...but at the same time there is a huge difference in price between the two of them...its not like Ford is marketing this as the ultrahigh performance CUV or SUV...its basically a sporty Explorer that has some go to go with its SHOw.....

You could just take the leftover money from buying the Explorer and buy a gently used Mustang to mod for REAL fun and still have less money than the SRT!

Shouldn't it tow more though? I know theoretically it can, but I was hoping for a 7000+ pound towing capacity.

Apparently, you and few others have 30' RV's you need to haul around?

Why on earth does a Mid-size SUV need to tow 7000 lbs?

Most RVs that top the scales at 7k lbs are 5th wheel anyhow -

I would love to watch a Dodge Durango try to get 6000 + lbs of trailer through the Eisenhower tunnel on Interstate 70, 60 miles west of Denver at 11.000 ft above sea level. Those tow ratings are only good for entertaining commercials. They don't work in the real world.

Edited by Kev-Mo

So do SVT Cobra owners get upset when they see SVT Raptors and SVT Lightnings and SVT Focii?

No, but if they called it a Focus Cobra, they just might. SVT is an engineering operation within Ford, not not a model, so their name was applied to every model they touched, not just one particular variant of a model line. Their name is hardly analogous to the SHO name, which came from the SHO mill that was only used in the Taurus SHO.

And if you talk to SHO enthusiasts, whether thy say S-H-O or SHO(w), they almost always reference SHO, and rarely reference the Taurus part of the name.

You can get an Ecoboost V6 in the Flex without a lot of fan fare so maybe Explorer is the same.

now that people know its available, watch them scoot off the showroom floor.

Another addition I would like to see is Explorer EL with Flex's longer wheelbase and supplied as AWD 3.7 and EB V6

giving Oakville more units to build and adding to Explorer's sales numbers...

Edited by jpd80

Apparently, you and few others have 30' RV's you need to haul around?

Why on earth does a Mid-size SUV need to tow 7000 lbs?

Most RVs that top the scales at 7k lbs are 5th wheel anyhow -

I would love to watch a Dodge Durango try to get 6000 + lbs of trailer through the Eisenhower tunnel on Interstate 70, 60 miles west of Denver at 11.000 ft above sea level. Those tow ratings are only good for entertaining commercials. They don't work in the real world.

EXACTLY! It makes for good marketing... How many sales do you think Ford lost to Durango when they ran that commercial that had the Durango outpull the Explorer?(Okay, Judging by sales and conquest sales figures, no at all.) But every little bit helps :P

Something tells me Dodge wouldn't set up a tug-o-war with this new Explorer... Superior power delivery + AWD, even for the V8 AWD Durango.

EXACTLY! It makes for good marketing... How many sales do you think Ford lost to Durango when they ran that commercial that had the Durango outpull the Explorer?(Okay, Judging by sales and conquest sales figures, no at all.) But every little bit helps :P

Something tells me Dodge wouldn't set up a tug-o-war with this new Explorer... Superior power delivery + AWD, even for the V8 AWD Durango.

The Explorer is a far superior vehicle for most people. I suppose if all you wanted to do was tow the Dodge might be better, but the Explorer is what it always was and that is a Swiss Army knife of vehicles. It isn't great at one thing, but it's good at a lot of things. That is what most people want when they are buying SUVs like this.

Edited by 2005Explorer

The Explorer is a far superior vehicle for most people. I suppose if all you wanted to do was tow the Dodge might be better, but the Explorer is what it always was and that is a Swiss Army knife of vehicles. It isn't great at one thing, but it's good at a lot of things. That is what most people want when they are buying SUVs like this.

I agree completely. I could make the argument that the Durango(V6) really isn't better for towing than the Explorer(V6). The Ecoboost V6, like someone mentioned, is most definitely chassis limited.

So i did some research following my last comment, and it turns out iVCT and Ti-VCT stand for intake VCT and twin independent VCT respectfully. Still doesnt seem the smartest nomenclature to me but at least isnt contradictory as i first thought.

So i did some research following my last comment, and it turns out iVCT and Ti-VCT stand for intake VCT and twin independent VCT respectfully. Still doesnt seem the smartest nomenclature to me but at least isnt contradictory as i first thought.

Ti-VCT applies to V Engines.

I agree completely. I could make the argument that the Durango(V6) really isn't better for towing than the Explorer(V6). The Ecoboost V6, like someone mentioned, is most definitely chassis limited.

Possibly the kindest thing you could say about Durango would be that it's a window into alternate reality

where Ford combined Explorer with Aussie RWD/ AWD Territory but since FNA already had the Freestyle

as a base vehicle, it made way more sense to continue with Taurus-Explorer-MKS-MKT-Flex-PI-PI UTE..

The scales of economy already there means Ford has saved a lot of money before any sales

Its applied under the same nomenclature to inline engines though. The terminology appears only relevant to the individual cylinder head, much like quad cam =/= quad overhead cam.

You got it. In Ford's home market, the number of cams is referenced against the head, so DOHC engines like the Coyote 5.0 have two cams per head, (usually) one intake and one exhaust. iVCT engines only have VCT on the Intake cam; TiVCT engines have VCT on both Intake and Exhaust cams.

• Like 1

Well........... since it looks like they completely forgot to remove the two back doors, I'm sorry to break it to yall, but this is not an Explorer Sport

I always thought that calling the 2-door version "Sport" without any performance enhancements was dumb.

What, does removing two doors automatically make something "sporty?" I present the Toyota (Camry) Solara as counterevidence.

I always thought that calling the 2-door version "Sport" without any performance enhancements was dumb.

What, does removing two doors automatically make something "sporty?" I present the Toyota (Camry) Solara as counterevidence.

With the short 2 door wheelbase and a high center of gravity I always thought they should have called it the Explorer ROE. You can figure out what ROE stands for. LOL :)

Edited by 2005Explorer

• 4 weeks later...

Was just looking at the new Explorer Order Guide that has the Sport model in it. You can't get Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keep Assist, HID's, Rain Sensing Wipers, Auto High Beams, or the Power Tilt/Telescope/Heated Steering Wheel on the Explorer Sport. Kinda disappointing that the Sport Model is stripped down of a lot of the Tech Features.

Was just looking at the new Explorer Order Guide that has the Sport model in it. You can't get Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keep Assist, HID's, Rain Sensing Wipers, Auto High Beams, or the Power Tilt/Telescope/Heated Steering Wheel on the Explorer Sport. Kinda disappointing that the Sport Model is stripped down of a lot of the Tech Features.

That is surprising since there is no Lincoln counterpart (ignoring the MKT).

It could be CAFE related. I remember in 1999 they had to decontent the Lincoln LS V8 models including the audiophile stereo and rear seat headrests to get the weight down below some CAFE threshold. Or it could just be a marketing decision but if it is then I don't understand either.

This sounds a lot like the difference between Edge Limited and Edge Sport. The best explanation I can think of is they strip down the available features to prevent the fully loaded model from exceeding the cost of a fully loaded Limited. Not sure if it makes sense since I'm sure someone would be willing to pay it, but Ford draws a hard line between performance and luxury in their Ford-branded models to prevent them from cannibalizing the Lincoln brand. Perhaps it's an indication that the Lincoln version of the Explorer is coming sooner rather than later.

I'm surprised the features are not available in the Sport. I think there are customers out there who would be just fine with an Explorer or Edge Limited and not want to pay the extra for the respective Sport models.