2013 Lincoln MKZ Revealed

There's no mention of the 8-speed at launch. Right now, I speculate that the D37 and the EB 20 are pretty much good to go with the 6A. I think releasing the new 8 auto with a new engine line such as 'Nano' would make more sense. I don't see the point of mentioning anything when you need to launch this MKZ.

Not bad, but put me into the "hate the nose" category. The rear lights just seem to fight the design of the back-end, and create a really strange "split-rear" look I am not fond of. If they had stuck with more traditional light placement, it would have looked worlds better.

I like the interior with one small complaint: For the love of God and all that's holy please get rid of the faux-wood accents on the dash and doors. They really detract from a nice palette on the dash, and cheapen the upscale interior look. I have never been a fan of mixing the wood and brushed-aluminum accents thing; visually, they just don't go together.

Not a bad attempt at all, but I would go for the new Fusion.

EDIT> Speedo/instrumentation looks pretty bad ass tho.

Edited by the_spaniard
  • Like 1

I like the interior with one small complaint: For the love of God and all that's holy please get rid of the faux-wood accents on the dash and doors. They really detract from a nice palette on the dash, and cheapen the upscale interior look. I have never been a fan of mixing the wood and brushed-aluminum accents thing; visually, they just don't go together.

IAW the press release the wood trim is real. Perhaps that's the problem of selection which the wood looks false by too much stain or sealant or whatever.

I'm not keen on the hybrid IP. It's an improvement of the original Fusion Hybrid. The dual speedo/tach on other models is real nice.

Not bad, but put me into the "hate the nose" category. The rear lights just seem to fight the design of the back-end, and create a really strange "split-rear" look I am not fond of. If they had stuck with more traditional light placement, it would have looked worlds better.

A lot of opinions for someone who hasn't actually SEEN the car in the flesh! ( I disagree on most of it anyway)

1. It's real wood.

2. There will very likely be a trim option available without it.

"This hack job rebadge of a Fusion will not save Lincoln. This is a sad excuse for a near-luxury car. This MKFusion is a joke. It's so generic and anonymous. It could be a Kia or Impala.

Mercedes, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Volvo, Acura, etc must be laughing their rears off at this.

This car is yet another nail in Lincoln's coffin. Ford isn't serious about Lincoln and I would be livid if I were a Lincoln dealer and this botch job was supposed to keep my family fed" -"p" (comment on the cars gallery)

Jesus Christ...

"This hack job rebadge of a Fusion will not save Lincoln. This is a sad excuse for a near-luxury car. This MKFusion is a joke. It's so generic and anonymous. It could be a Kia or Impala.

Mercedes, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Volvo, Acura, etc must be laughing their rears off at this.

This car is yet another nail in Lincoln's coffin. Ford isn't serious about Lincoln and I would be livid if I were a Lincoln dealer and this botch job was supposed to keep my family fed" -"p" (comment on the cars gallery)

Jesus Christ...

:blah: :blah:

Any guesses on how many of those commenters have ever purchased a luxury car?

So can anyone actually confirm which tailpipes are the production pieces? The press photos all show quad exhaust tips but the show cars are all dual.

Well I didnt ask the staff about that, I thought of that but forgot! But I was told these 3 cars were just finished being built just days before the show so I expect they just didnt have the production level part avail yet? (BTW the grey 3.7 V6 one was the one used in the first You Tube video of the roof in action!)

I did get confirmation the hybrid will use a different gauge cluster similar to the current model as seen in various pics. I didnt see any other inconsistant items though. And the tires/wheels are all production, which is wonderful as they are truely gorgeous! Who would have thought of a Lincoln sedan having 245/40-19 tires and wheels just a few years ago?!

Ok just got back from the first press day at the show....I'll share my experience and thoughts! The Lincoln presentation was really nice and refreshing....the stand (which was far away from the Ford stand and among other premium luxury brands) was an clean open space of just bleacher stand seats facing an open area awaiting the show, with a live chamber group playing comtemporary classic music. All the major FMC brass where there but except Mulally (Fields, JC Mays, Farley, Wolff) Nothing new learned in the actual presentation compared to what we already read in the last few days....Fields talked about the importance of Lincoln, Farley talked about how they expect to transform the Lincoln customer experience and then a sand artist was brought on to create art from sand, which was shown up on the video wall. The guy worked with nothing but sand and created a wonderful mosaic that finally he transformed into the new front of the MKZ! At that point the actual MKZ's came out and Wolff was introduced to discuss their new baby.

So about the MKZ....they had 3, a 2.0EB in Smoked Quartz, with a std sunroof, another in Smoked Quartz but with the 3.7 V6 and retractable roof, and center stage was a striking Ruby Red 2.0 Hybrid with the retractable roof. The red and one grey one had the cream interiors while the other grey one was all black. Sadly they weren't allowing even the press in the cars! You could peek in from the open doors but thats it, and no trunks or hoods where opened. From what I got to feel of the interior, it was all good and the leather esp felt very supple to the touch! The tiered center console was very cool and looked very useful as well.

I must say in person any fears of how it would look were erased, as in person it really flows and has a nice presence, and the awkwardness of some press pics doesn't show in person. The wheels and tires really are impressive, and they were all production spec too! I noticed they all had tailpipe bumper trim that was NOT quad tipped like in some photos, but I think thats due to their prototype status. The detailing on the car was very impressive as well and well restrained too, esp after seeing some other new models in the show. The headlamps esp are really sharp with their floating LED lens and tiny LED side signals! The grille itself is not chrome but a matte alloy, while the chrome surrounding each side of the grille was one continuous piece, very nice. All models appear to have that black panel rear of the back glass, and it looks like the deck lid opens to the glass on the retractable models as well...I originally thought this panel would need to be stationary as it may host the roof motors.

Speaking of the roof, later when I returned they had the roof open (it was opened for the initial presentation then closed before we were allowed on stage) and so I got to poke around and take many pics of it. I'm pretty sure after seeing it all in person that the roof won't retract back further due to visibility issues....there just isn't any when it sits on the rear glass! The top glass is very darkly tinted and so they left some of the rear backlight exposed to allow you to see as needed. I will try to ask about this tomorrow to see if indeed that's the reason as the roof looks like it can move further back.

All in all, the crowd seemed to really be impressed and intrigued by the new MKZ and the uniqueness of its design really stood out from others at the show.....I think Lincoln is back!

Ok so I went back yesterday (Thur) and the Lincoln stand was fully set up with the full current lineup and the 3 new MKZ's still in place (was afraid they would remove one or two but looks like they will keep them all out for the public!) Many Lincoln brass were milling around answering questions so I chatted with a few. I spoke to a guy from the roof engineering team (!) and he confirmed the roof is restricted from fully retracting due to lack of rear window visibility. He also mentioned how they added a layer to the glass that in case of impact/rollover it will retain its shape and contain occupants! This was done proactively, not needed by any law, but they felt the $12 added cost was worth it beyond typical automotive safely glass....well done! He said they tested the glass strength by dropping a steel ball (think softball sized) about 50 feel in the air and let it drop onto the glass....it bounced 2X off the glass then shot off to the side! They had to revise their testing...lol

He also mentioned due to the curve of the roof they had to devise a new type of retractable shade, one that will follow the same curve as the glass rather than hanging btw 2 points as typically found in these huge glass roofs. I also was told they really had packaging constraints with doing the glass roof (sedans have less headroom in general) but they accomplished it and seemed very proud! I asked if we can expect other Lincoln sedans to offer something similar and I was told it will be a "signature feature of future Lincolns" so I'd say, yup, expect the next MKS to have it too! I voiced my interest in offering a fixed glass roof as well, like the MKT does as standard. All in all the new MKZ is stunning and didnt disappoint! I heard many folks (press) around the show saying how nice it was as well....it went over very well. I expect the public to greet it the same way starting today!

The thing that strikes me about the MKZ is its presence, it standout on the road as something truly exceptional and exquisite, exactly what you want from Lincoln. They've really taken a sophisticated approach without being conservative and traditional. It's such a hard thing to do right, I rarely see it and I'm delighted it came from Lincoln.

Judging by the crowds'reaction in Detroit and D.C. to the concept, this will get even more attention once they see the retracting glass roof! I will see it in person tomorrow afternoon in NYC!!!! Until now my favorite sedan designs were Audio A7, A6, but now this new shape from Lincoln makes those other designs look sloppy and garish.