GM's Akerson won't back off Lincoln "holy water" comments

gm-ceo-akerson.jpg

Akerson is still not one to pull punches. GM's CEO famously said of Ford's luxury brand, "They are trying like hell to resurrect Lincoln. Well, I might as well tell you, you might as well sprinkle holy water. It's over." And he's not backing down. "A little bit of holy water wouldn't hurt, I won't back off that."

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/26/gms-akerson-thinks-successor-should-come-from-within-wont-ba/

Speaking of Lincoln, the Detroit News auto writer tested the new 2013 Lincoln MKS other day and gave it a good rating, one notch below an excellent rating. Likes....CCD suspension in S mode coupled with AWD Ecoboost model tested. Also liked the new grille. Dislikes...cramped footwell on driver's side, cheap, plastic paddle shifters, and quirky MLT volume controls on stereo. So overall better than 2012 MKS, but still not up with the big boys in class. However, performance wise with CCD and Ecoboost, it gives more than match to Audi Quattro and other luxury brands in class.

Considering his luxury division just "pulled a Lincoln" with their XTS (and SRX, for that matter), I suggest he keeps his trap shut. Good grief.

I see that Akerson is pretty much part of GM culture now. He talks like it's GM of 50's and 60's and forgets it's 2012, 3 years after GM bankruptcy. Not sure where all the cockiness is coming from. Maybe a time warp phenomenon. Toyota will probably repass Ford and GM in sales by end of year anyway as Cadillac is left in Lexus dirty air.

Akerson probably personally approved that ridiculously childish new Equinox commercial with the "former Ford" sales guy prank calling the Ford dealership and asking about MPG.

That has got to be the lamest commercial I've seen. That's gonna hold true for what, another month? Idiots!

That has got to be the lamest commercial I've seen. That's gonna hold true for what, another month? Idiots!

Chevy Ads of late are Lame -- The runs deep campaign sucked, the new dealership ads suck, its just a mess from when GM fired their old ad agency. They need to come up with what Chevrolet is and what their drivers are -- and from the commercials of late it seems the target market is that annoying douchbag from school that everyone hates drives a chevy.

• Like 1

Last Saturday I went to test drive a 2013 MKs in anticipation of my next car the MKz. I wanted to feel the CCD suspension for myself. I personally felt the ride to be incredible but it could be that I'm comparing it to my 9 year old LS. I was also impressed with the Lane-Keeping feature and felt it functioned as intended, although I was somewhat mislead by reading about it as I felt it simply vibrated the steering wheel to get your attention. I had no idea it would actually nudge the wheel to keep it in the lane. My wife says I'm obsessed with the "Z" and she may be right but the truth is that she can't wait till the car is available.

Chevy Ads of late are Lame -- The runs deep campaign sucked, the new dealership ads suck, its just a mess from when GM fired their old ad agency. They need to come up with what Chevrolet is and what their drivers are -- and from the commercials of late it seems the target market is that annoying douchbag from school that everyone hates drives a chevy.

Ford's F-150 ads with the stupid text popping up all over the screen aren't any better.

Ford's F-150 ads with the stupid text popping up all over the screen aren't any better.

Most people I know love those ads, and most of those people aren't even "car guys" at all. Stop trolling. Can't think of the last post you made that actually approved of something Ford has done.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 3

I would say he's stirring up the dust and thats fine. Sounds like he's concerned about Lincoln and considering the new XTS is essentially what a MKS is like (cept the MKS has an Ecoboost option, and more toys) doesnt prove they are doing anything different. But again, "What about Lincoln"...other than the MKZ we arent seeing anything new.

I can't remember what started it but Dodge took a shot at the F150 and Ford shot back with Denis Leary making a sarcastic comment (hard to believe, eh?) while an animated Ram does something unflattering on the screen. It was pretty quick.

I remember that ad. Unlike the commercials from Chebbie and Dodge, it was subtle. That's saying something, considering who was speaking...

Edited by SoonerLS