Just Ordered 2013 C-Max

First time on this forum and first time ordering a new car (after decades of frugality). Ordered today: blue candy C-Max SE w/ panoramic sunroof.

Dumb question for you veterans: should I expect to pay sticker for this thing...because it's a brand-spanken-new model? I believe it's pricing out to $27,600 incl. freight.

• Like 1

You should pay what you negotiate with the salesman. Every purchase has wiggle room. Do your research, come up with a number and tell the salesman that's what you want to pay. If they don't accept your number, walk away, they'll get back to you. Another option is to obtain an X-Plan PIN from a Ford employee, check with your employer to see if they are in the Partners Program or join an organization that's in the program. Also, you can purchase a car through Costco at a discounted price, maybe even less than X-Plan.

Edited by transitman

i SAY TRY TO GET AN X-PLAN PIN #. tHERE IS NO HAGGLING INVOLVED AND YOU BASICALLY PAY INVOICE (sorry, caps lock was stuck on). Also with xplan there are no silly dealer add on fees like car prep, etc..

Oh, yeah....Congrats, hope you like it.

Edited by Hydro
  • Like 1

There are no really dumb questions if you are doing something for the first time. Getting an X-plan pin will save you some real money. I had never heard of X-Plan before i came here. Any of the Ford employees can explain the program to you and how to get a PIN. X-Plan is also available to Ford shareholders. As i understand the program, Ford employees can give out PINs which are eligible for discounts on most, but not all vehicles purchased through a participating dealer.

You should pay what you negotiate with the salesman. Every purchase has wiggle room. Do your research, come up with a number and tell the salesman that's what you want to pay. If they don't accept your number, walk away, they'll get back to you. Another option is to obtain an X-Plan PIN from a Ford employee, check with your employer to see if they are in the Partners Program or join an organization that's in the program. Also, you can purchase a car through Costco at a discounted price, maybe even less than X-Plan.

Thanks for the tips. From the other replies, it sounds like the X-Plan is the way to go. Now that I know you can still haggle on newly-released models, guess I should go into "take it or leave it" mode. :>)

I bought my Fiesta a couple years back which was a factory order and employee pricing. So there was little haggle or room. I might have got a better interest rate from the bank but I didn't take the time to have the banks fight for my business. Good luck and keep us appraised on your new ride :)

I bought my Fiesta a couple years back which was a factory order and employee pricing. So there was little haggle or room. I might have got a better interest rate from the bank but I didn't take the time to have the banks fight for my business. Good luck and keep us appraised on your new ride :)

I got an X plan PIN for a friend of mine who got an F-150, I was surprised that he got another 1K off just going through Ford Motor Credit! The rates where pretty good too...i think he got 2.99 or 3.99 over 6 years.

I'm hoping I can get a similar deal when I get my next car...because the only incentive I've gotten with my cars is just A plan pricing (due to limited production/popularity they weren't offered). Hopefully the Fusion puts some pressure on Taurus Sales and their incentives get bumped up a bit more. I'd be ecstatic if I could get a SHO for around 40K after everything is said and done outside of taxes.

Edited by silvrsvt

You still get all of the public incentives (rebates and/or financing) when using X plan (or A/D/Z plan). There are sometimes additional rebates for plan purchasers (typically to coincide with dealer cash or other non public incentives) and plan purchasers are protected from high doc fees and other dealer add-ons and tricks.

If you "order" a vehicle without agreeing on price what you're really doing is just reserving the first right of refusal on the vehicle when it comes in. If you can't agree on price you walk away and the dealer sells it to someone else.

Typically though you'll either agree on plan pricing which is determined by the factory invoice or you agree to a price referenced to MSRP or dealer invoice ($1000 under MSRP, $500 over dealer invoice, etc.).

GOOD LORD....DID SOMEONE ELSE READ HOW TO BUY A CAR 101 ON THE INTERNET?????? couple of valid options, but seriously walk and they will get back to you....make an uneducated offer and guess what, chances are slim. Besides that in reality the "wiggle" room in vehicles has been declining rapidly over the years, not saying you should pay MSRP, but when a vehicle first comes out....I would wait a couple of months, and the operative word is compromise....if you can get an X-plan number then great ...HOWEVER, based on allocation the dealer is NOT obligated to sell said vehicle at Xplan pricing. That said i dont think supply will be a C-max issue....and side-bar,,,that active interior noise canceling has me intrigued....cool little car. Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

Congratulations on the C-Max. Regular or Plug-in?

I believe the Plug-in comes out about six months or so after the non plug-in hybrid. It also has a much taller shelf in back that takes up lots of cargo room. I looked them both over at NAIAS and Energi model has a huge battery.

GOOD LORD....DID SOMEONE ELSE READ HOW TO BUY A CAR 101 ON THE INTERNET?????? couple of valid options, but seriously walk and they will get back to you....make an uneducated offer and guess what, chances are slim. Besides that in reality the "wiggle" room in vehicles has been declining rapidly over the years, not saying you should pay MSRP, but when a vehicle first comes out....I would wait a couple of months, and the operative word is compromise....if you can get an X-plan number then great ...HOWEVER, based on allocation the dealer is NOT obligated to sell said vehicle at Xplan pricing. That said i dont think supply will be a C-max issue....and side-bar,,,that active interior noise canceling has me intrigued....cool little car.

I would imagine most savvy buyers are going in armed with much knowledge about vehicle they are interested in and A/Z plan or not are looking for out the door price as close to invoice price as possible. And never good to reveal if it will be cash or credit sale until you are close to final price. And I'm assuming no trade-in battle as selling your vehicle privately seems to work out better for many reasons unless it's super pricey and limited audience. But even then sites like Auto Trader make it far less painful and open up much wider audience for your vehicle. The internet has certianly made dealerhips work harder for sales, be they new or used.

GOOD LORD....DID SOMEONE ELSE READ HOW TO BUY A CAR 101 ON THE INTERNET?????? couple of valid options, but seriously walk and they will get back to you....make an uneducated offer and guess what, chances are slim.

What Dean is telling you is, make sure you buy a car with options no one else will want, so that the dealer won't want to keep it in inventory if you threaten to walk away. :hysterical:

Of course, don't be surprised if the steering wheel smells a little bit like salesmens' butts if you do that.

What Dean is telling you is, make sure you buy a car with options no one else will want, so that the dealer won't want to keep it in inventory if you threaten to walk away. :hysterical:

Of course, don't be surprised if the steering wheel smells a little bit like salesmens' butts if you do that.

sorry,its absolutely NOTHING to do with options, or equipment, its the mentality, and dare I say the beleif sales personel are DESPERATE, that I take umbrage with. 25 years of doing this and listening to peoples advice on "How to buy a Car" that pre-date BC practices gets a tad tiresome. It can be as simple or complex as one wishes....people can believe what they wish, but unless they are involved in the industry then I will continue to utilize the file titled "Armchair Experts".....I only wish everyone of the so called "experts" did this for a few months, my bet is the mentality would re-adjust and the lack of respect would be re-evaluated....

I would imagine most savvy buyers are going in armed with much knowledge about vehicle they are interested in and A/Z plan or not are looking for out the door price as close to invoice price as possible. And never good to reveal if it will be cash or credit sale until you are close to final price. And I'm assuming no trade-in battle as selling your vehicle privately seems to work out better for many reasons unless it's super pricey and limited audience. But even then sites like Auto Trader make it far less painful and open up much wider audience for your vehicle. The internet has certianly made dealerhips work harder for sales, be they new or used.

one practice I have fondness for is the mass fax "offer sheet"....straight off some website. Hi my name is.....we are looking for a bid on the brand new.....we are sending this fax to several dealers for their best quotation.....please be advised we are familiar with Ford Dealer Advertising, Holdback and Blue Oval compensation....we are pre-approved and SERIOUS buyers so please supply your best Out the Door price......we will respond within 3 days of receiving quotes.....

GOOD LORD....DID SOMEONE ELSE READ HOW TO BUY A CAR 101 ON THE INTERNET?????? couple of valid options, but seriously walk and they will get back to you....make an uneducated offer and guess what, chances are slim. Besides that in reality the "wiggle" room in vehicles has been declining rapidly over the years, not saying you should pay MSRP, but when a vehicle first comes out....I would wait a couple of months, and the operative word is compromise....if you can get an X-plan number then great ...HOWEVER, based on allocation the dealer is NOT obligated to sell said vehicle at Xplan pricing. That said i dont think supply will be a C-max issue....and side-bar,,,that active interior noise canceling has me intrigued....cool little car.

Over the years I have ordered three cars and have Never paid close to MSRP. With my Escape I paid less than X-Plan because I did my homework, found the true dealer invoice price and purchased from a dealership I have a good reputation with. In a past deal, after negotiations I told the salesman I thought there price was still too high (we "wiggled" between prices) and I told him I had to shop around. When I got home there was a message on my answering machine (pre cell phone) and they met my price. With my ordered Focus I got the car for $1800 under "invoice" and one of the dealerships said they would knock off another $1000. Too bad it was after I made the deal with another dealership and I honor my commitments. With the wonder of the internet, I sent inquires to 5 dealerships and they all wanted my business nd were willing to deal. The new Escape is just out and currently there's a $1000 rebate. So, I don't know, I guess there's different ways to look at it.

Waiting a few months is good advice. Demand will likely cool and perhaps incentives will appear.

Honestly after 3 years in a dealership i never saw anyone get a better deal than x/a/z plan minus rebates UNLESS the vehicle was close to celebrating a birthday or was an ad special car. IE vehicles most people wouldn't buy. Just get a pin, if you can, and actually enjoy the purchase of your car. Why waste two weeks of your life scouring for the best deal to save $200?

Here is the text from a previous post regarding my Escape purchase. You all tell me if I got a good deal.

I just realized with the $1000 rebate my column is down to $29544.12.

I got the invoice price I was willing to pay from the NADA and Edmund's web sites, which matched the Vehicle Order Confirmation the dealer had printed out before I arrived. The dealer invoice price on the VOC was the same as NADA and Edmund's dealer invoice. As far as the X-Plan, he didn't show me the X-Plan pricing for the new Escape, but showed me on his computer, examples from a 2013 Edge and 2012 Taurus and Escape and dealer invoice was lower on all three. He said the dealership would make more money if I used my X-Plan and I could use it if I wanted to. He also said, beginning in 2010, X-Plan was not the lowest price a buyer could negotiate.

If you add the fuel charge and ad assessment to the MSRP column on the VOC (assuming they would be the same) I saved $2176 under MSRP and I think this is a pretty good deal that I'm happy with. Maybe there's someone out there who can verify an X-Plan price vs. the price I got. I didn't ask, but I assume the ad assessment and fuel charge would be tacked on if someone was willing to pay MSRP, it just wasn't listed on the VOC.

My deal broke down like this:

Retail Column:

$30370.00 Titanium FWD

$995.00 Prkg. Tech Pkg

$825.00 Dest & Deliv

$32190.00 Total

Dealer Invoice Column:

$28321.00 Titanium FWD

$868.00 Prkg. Tech Pkg

$60.12 Fuel Charge

$470.00 Adv Assessment

$825.00 Dest & Deliv

$30544.12 Total

Edited by transitman

Waiting a few months is good advice. Demand will likely cool and perhaps incentives will appear.

Honestly after 3 years in a dealership i never saw anyone get a better deal than x/a/z plan minus rebates UNLESS the vehicle was close to celebrating a birthday or was an ad special car. IE vehicles most people wouldn't buy. Just get a pin, if you can, and actually enjoy the purchase of your car. Why waste two weeks of your life scouring for the best deal to save $200?

Some people seem to be absolutely TERRIFIED of dealers making any type of margin on and vehicle 20,30 or 40000 dollars....they will spends hours upon hours researching, jumping from dealer to dealer, sitting for hours on end "negotiating" on numbers supplied online from somewhere like Edmunds or the like. Sheesh, maybe its me being in the business, but I dont mind ANYONE making a reasonable amount on a product, irrespective if its a car or a TV etc etc. As long as I know its a FAIR deal Im ok with it, they have their overheads like anyone else. My advice, do a little research, either call or go in, agree on something thats fair to BOTH parties and build up a relationship. Its my experience that it is those people that will be happier in the long run, and the selling dealer will go the extra yard for if it comes to any issues. In my experience those that attempt to save the last PENNY out of a deal in fear of spending a nickel or so more than they think they should , are ultimately the most difficult to deal with and never happy because of the "they had to get me somewhere syndrome".
  • Like 1

...I think this is a pretty good deal that I'm happy with.

That there is all that matters. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, if you are happy with your price and think you got a good deal, then you got a good deal for yourself.

That said, I bought a used '08 F250 last March. I paid a little more than I maybe should have for that vehicle, but I knew how difficult it was to find the vehicle with the specs I was looking for in the shape I wanted, with the number of miles I wanted, so I was willing to pay a bit more for it. So to me, I still think I got a good deal, even though Joe Shmoe may not have liked the price.

• Like 1