Mustang changes for 2014, No Boss...

I got this from The Mustang Source forum:

Colors: Ruby Red (RR) replaces Red Candy (RZ). Oxford White (YZ) replaces Performance White (HP).

Base V6 100A & 101A: New option called "V6 Appearance Package," option code 541.

Premium V6 200A, Pony Package 202A, and MCA Edition 203A: No changes that I can find.

Premium V6 201A: Hood Stripe, option code 471.

Base GT 300A & 301A: New option called "GT Appearance Package," option code 542.

Premium GT 400A & 401A: No changes that I can find.

GT/CS 402A: Colors limited to Deep Impact Blue, Race Red, Black, Sterling Gray, Ingot Silver, and Oxford White.

Boss 302 500A & Laguna Seca 501A: Missing, so it appears to be true that the Boss 302 was a 2 year run only ('12 & '13).

Shelby GT500: Matte Black stripes replaced by Gloss Black stripes.

Looks like NO BOSS 302 in 2014, and speculation is the GT Appearance Package code 542 is either a Mach 1 or more likely a Bullitt option. Anyone here have any info?

Edited by traxiii

Looks like NO BOSS 302 in 2014, and speculation is the GT Appearance Package code 542 is either a Mach 1 or more likely a Bullitt option. Anyone here have any info?

I seriously doubt its going to be either one of those....its an Appearance package...not a performance package.

The interesting thing is what is Ford going to do with the Boss engine? It was a nice slot in-between the GT and GT500 performance. The GT500 is sledgehammer...the Boss is a nice hammer that you could do more with...

I could see the Boss 302 being an unnecessary distraction in the meantime while they are developing the 2015 model. It's always possible it'll return later. It could also be a result of sanctioning bodies being less than friendly to the Boss 302 in a couple of the larger racing series it participates in now.

http://jalopnik.com/5932018/boss-mustang-drivers-refuse-to-race-in-protest-of-the-scca-this-weekend

Edited by NickF1011

Par for the course. The limited editions last for a year or two. Then some, or most, of the features become standard or optional. The upgraded suspension from the Mach1 (or Bullitt ?) became standard on the GT. The 2004 Mach1 4.6 DOHC had 305 HP, the 05 4.6 3 valve had 300.

The Recaros and Track Pack are already available on the GT. And it's only 24 HP off the BOSS as is.

Tentative buildout/startup dates for Ford Mustang:

• Final 2013 MY orders due: 10/26/2012
  • 2014 MY initial order acceptance: 11/12/2012
  • 2014 MY production scheduling: 12/06/2012

This is getting a bit nuts.The '13 Mustang final order date is still in 2012? The '14 model production starts in 2012? I get the 1964 1/2 Mustang being a 1965. You could buy a 65 in 65. LOL

I thought Job 1 was the start of production; "production scheduling" sounds like when they start setting the dates for production. I'd think actual production wouldn't start 'til calendar year '13.

That's correct, SoonerLS! Job 1 usually takes place about one month after production scheduling commences. Ford hasn't yet defined a Job 1 date for MY 2014 Mustang, at least as I'm aware.

I am pretty sure you cannot sell a car built in 2012 as a 2014. The model year must cross the first of the year and only one year. So you can build a 2014 on Jan 2 2013 no sooner.

You can build them -- you just can't sell them. Jan 1, 2013 is the soonest a dealer could sell a 2014MY car.

You can build them -- you just can't sell them. Jan 1, 2013 is the soonest a dealer could sell a 2014MY car.

This is something I've thought about and never really understood. Why not sell a 2014 no sooner than Jan 2014?

I mean why if you're going to call it a 2014 year model would you sell it up to a year in advance?

I realize that other manufacturers do it also, just seems strange to me.

This is something I've thought about and never really understood. Why not sell a 2014 no sooner than Jan 2014?

I mean why if you're going to call it a 2014 year model would you sell it up to a year in advance?

I realize that other manufacturers do it also, just seems strange to me.

I don't understand it in this case, since the '14 will be essentially the same as the '13. I understand when you have a brand new model, and it isn't ready before the end of the year, so you release it early in '13 as a '14. Ford has done this a few times with the Super Duty when releasing a new engine. The '08 came out in January '07, the '11 was out very early in '10. They had to get the new engines out to meet emissions, and since they didn't have it ready for the prior model year, and rather than release it in the prior design truck (likely couldn't due to changes necessary), then essentially had to come out with the new MY early to meet regulations.

As long as there is a 2015 boss, I'm fine with Ford taking a year off. I have been hard at work building a VERY special Coyote V8 to transplant as soon as my 2015 arrives. Fingers crossed...

? AWESOME....but...............how do you even know it will fit?

I assume it started when mfrs wanted to put the new models out before the end of the year, then it got backed up to September or so. They had to make a rule that allowed the new intros in September but since the rule was based on years and not months there was nothing in the rules that said you couldn't launch a 2014 model on 1/1/2013. I don't think it was intended to allow that - I think it was just a side effect.

? AWESOME....but...............how do you even know it will fit?

Hence, fingers crossed... :D

I've been testing it with 2011 intake and exhaust geometry, but I assume I'll have to wait for the car to arrive before I'll know exactly what kind of packaging constraints I'm dealing with. Currently, I'm able to fit 180 degree headers in my 2011, running the crossovers under a dry sump pan. The intake might require a small cowl.

Either way, it's naturally aspirated. I'm more worried about the integrity of the valvetrain than anything else. My goal is to squeeze 630hp and 9,000rpm out of it... Wheee!

• Like 1

Also the GT Mustang's 5.0 is expected to jump in power to around 420 hp, does that make the BOSS engine a little redundant?

Could there be a S/C version of the 5.0 being planned as a special somewhere off in the distance?

J, 2013 5.0 is currently 420, Boss is 444 I beleive