C&D: Focus vs. Dart

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2013-dodge-dart-rallye-vs-2012-ford-focus-se-comparison-test

Both the Dart Rallye and the Focus SE start below $20,000, and our examples pushed into the low 20s. Each pumps out 160 peak horsepower, carries 13 cubic feet of cargo, circles the skidpad at 0.86 g, and negotiates our slalom at 42.2 mph. Generally speaking, these two are a perfect match.

"...The Focus is not without its faults. For example, our own Mike Austin had to finish the assembly of our test car by clipping the rear interior door panels into place. The body-panel gaps around the decklid make us sad..."

How can this make it past QC?

"...The Focus is not without its faults. For example, our own Mike Austin had to finish the assembly of our test car by clipping the rear interior door panels into place. The body-panel gaps around the decklid make us sad..."

There was a fastener missing in the bumper assembly of mine. It made an annoying squeak at high speeds and took the dealer forever to figure out where the noise was coming from. The diagnosis of the problem was complicated by the fact that the taillight assembly above it was loose (though, as it turns out, making no noise).

It's all fixed, and a beautiful car, but some of these niggling qc issues are worrisome.

I don't know mettech, but the QC issues mentioned certainly aren't limited to C&D's particular Focus. The gentleman in the picture below (not affiliated with C&D) was similarly dismayed that he could stick his pinky though the panel gap between the decklid and bumper with the trunk closed (vehicle was a new 2012 Focus SEL sedan).

Hopefully, improving fit and finish is hopefully a high priority at Ford because consumers and dealerships alike will not and should not find this stuff acceptable in a new car. And based on the article, it appears the Dodge Dart Chrysler delivered to C&D for evaluation was free of such flaws.

12_focus_trunk_gap.jpg

Edited by aneekr

I don't know mettech, but the QC issues mentioned certainly aren't limited to C&D's particular Focus. The gentleman in the picture below (not affiliated with C&D) was similarly dismayed that he could stick his pinky though the panel gap between the decklid and bumper with the trunk closed (vehicle was a new 2012 Focus SEL sedan).

Hopefully, improving fit and finish is hopefully a high priority at Ford because consumers and dealerships alike will not and should not find this stuff acceptable in a new car. And based on the article, it appears the Dodge Dart Chrysler delivered to C&D for evaluation was free of such flaws.

12_focus_trunk_gap.jpg

Wow that is brutal. Missed by QC and dealer prep lads is not good.

Biker says they turned off the lasers in the body shop to speed the production line. Plastic tabs that are not locked into place also smacks of a production line that's being ran too fast.

Bingo. Quantity over quality. Thats the new management mantra.

Mettech can try to blame the hourly workers all he wants, but in the end, we have to do what we are told.

Bravo to Car & Driver for their fair review. I will bet anyone that once those incompetent idiots at CONSUMERS REPORTS do their review we will all see the cheap Dart winning over the Focus without a doubt!

If they get a review unit like C&D did, they most likely would. CR is concerned more about quality then who is faster 0-60.

You to admit the domestics have came a long ways on compact cars if you think back to cars like the Pinto and Vega. Focus, Dart and Cruze are all good compacts compared to what the domestics offered many years ago.

Biker says they turned off the lasers in the body shop to speed the production line. Plastic tabs that are not locked into place also smacks of a production line that's being ran too fast.

It's possible that they have removed some of the more minor quality checks to improve speed, but why do you never see this sort of stuff coming out of the Fusion factory? It seems like they are operating at full capacity and then some as well. A person could blame new design, however it's not really that new anymore to have really messed up panel gaps and/or parts that haven't been fully attached.

I'll be interested to see if the new Fusion has the same sort of fit and finish problems. I bet it doesn't. I haven't heard many issues with the new Escape either so it sort of makes you wonder if the Focus plant has the same quality standards as the others do. I know if I was test driving a new vehicle and the rear door panel wasn't attached properly it would make me wonder what else was wrong with the car. The dealer should go over the vehicle, but still isn't there a final quality check done to these vehicles before they are shipped?

Edited by 2005Explorer