Ford unveils US spec Transit with class-leading fuel economy

Taxi and "livery" fleets still have not forgiven Ford for dropping the Panther !

The first gen Transit Connect Wagon was just to crude for a taxi.

The MkT as a "livery car" is just a joke. What that market really want is a stretched MkS like the Chinese Volvo S80L. Not a half bad hearse.

If rumors are true, the MkT will die with the Flex at the end of 2014 or 2015. Maybe Lincoln can get a real luxury platform instead of just a gussied up Taurus.

oh contrare...the Transit Connect has been embraced by Taxi companies here along with CNG conversion....it partly responsible for a shortage of supply, along with Enterprize leasing.......
  • Like 1

oh contrare...the Transit Connect has been embraced by Taxi companies here along with CNG conversion....it partly responsible for a shortage of supply, along with Enterprize leasing.......

One could only imagine the effect a hybrid Transit Connect would have on sales.....if they were only half the sales of C-Max, that would be a huge lift..

They lost the big contract in NYC and I bet there are more taxis in NYC than in all of CA !

Edited by theoldwizard

They lost the big contract in NYC and I bet there are more taxis in NYC than in all of CA !

That one may not be over. The taxi companies are suing over the contract, and NYC's comptroller just "rejected" the contract because the Nissans are not wheelchair-accessible, which puts NYC at unnecessary financial risk (according to the comptroller) of ADA lawsuits.

I read it in Automotive News.

And that was an estimate by an outside accounting firm who is probably not privy to Ford's internal costs.

That would be dependent on the model's trim level and heavily influenced by the sales mix...

Edited by jpd80

• 1 month later...

To revive this. It looks as if there will be competition about whrn the Transit hits the streets. The Ram Promaster starts production later this year as a '14 model.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130207/AUTO0101/302070339/1148/auto01/Chrysler-launches-specialized-work-vans

It will be interesting to see the comparisons. It looks like the Promaster (what a name) is exclusively FWD.

True... I'm pretty certain (have no numbers though) that the gas E-Series sold primarily as passenger vehicles, and full-sized vans have all but disappeared from that capacity (unless your last name is Duggar).

I will certainly vouch for the ruggedness, all terrain functionality of the E-Series, especially the cut-away model fashioned into small school bus that is largely used by school districts to transport special ed. students. My GF and myself were in Vieques, PR over the holidays on a biolumescent tour onto bay off of Carribean Sea, and it was at night with brief, hard storm just before we left, and this little bus full of tourists made it to bay through ruts that resembled a moonscape on this undeveloped island, each one full of water a couple feet deep. And we made it back as trip back was every bit as rugged. I don't think a Rubicon Jeep could have done it better. I mountian biked the same ruts/moonscape and didn't do it any better. That little E-Series school bus with diesel engine was awesome machine. You could feel all that torque as it pulled itself through giant, deep ruts full of water and rather slippery to boot.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got a look at the new Transit yesterday, At least an outside look. High roof, long body. Looks decent, and what I could see of the interior (tinted windows and dark inside really limited what you could see, and it was "locked for your protection" was decent. The 14 Transit Connect really looks good too - interior is pretty squared off for best space utilization. For a light commercial it shoul have continued sales increases.

The one sticking point is that Dodge (ne RAM) also had the Promaster there. In person that front end is as ugly as sin, but once you get past that it is a really nice commercial package. The thing that I like is the fulll steel bulkhead behind the seats to separate the cargo from the driver, and the lack of a footwell at the side sliding door (all that is good for on a commercial van is to collect trash that then falls out when you open the door), sturdy built in tie down points, and the side sliding door was designed with forklift loading in mind, a really wide opening so that a typical forklift operator coud easily get a 42" pallet in. Driver space was decent, but to me the dash and controls are a bit too busy. This thing can be real competition if priced right, because the substance is there. And they had people there that knew the specs and capabilities.

I just wished that I could have seen the Transit in as much detail, and that Ford had someone there who knew at least some of the tech details.

Edited by lfeg

Well, got a look at the new Transit yesterday, At least an outside look. High roof, long body. Looks decent, and what I could see of the interior (tinted windows and dark inside really limited what you could see, and it was "locked for your protection" was decent. The 14 Transit Connect really looks good too - interior is pretty squared off for best space utilization. For a light commercial it shoul have continued sales increases.

The one sticking point is that Dodge (ne RAM) also had the Promaster there. In person that front end is as ugly as sin, but once you get past that it is a really nice commercial package. The thing that I like is the fulll steel bulkhead behind the seats to separate the cargo from the driver, and the lack of a footwell at the side sliding door (all that is good for on a commercial van is to collect trash that then falls out when you open the door), sturdy built in tie down points, and the side sliding door was designed with forklift loading in mind, a really wide opening so that a typical forklift operator coud easily get a 42" pallet in. Driver space was decent, but to me the dash and controls are a bit too busy. This thing can be real competition if priced right, because the substance is there. And they had people there that knew the specs and capabilities.

I just wished that I could have seen the Transit in as much detail, and that Ford had someone there who knew at least some of the tech details.

The flat loading area is a function of being FWD.

I do wonder though, what the fleet reaction will be to FWD van. Chrysler didn't have a choice because Fiat Ducato is exclusively FWD so the best change they could do was to add a large gasoline engine. Ford had a choice and it stuck with RWD van so I think they have a better handle on what the fleet buyer is expecting.

I do wonder though, what the fleet reaction will be to FWD van. Chrysler didn't have a choice because Fiat Ducato is exclusively FWD so the best change they could do was to add a large gasoline engine. Ford had a choice and it stuck with RWD van so I think they have a better handle on what the fleet buyer is expecting.

FWD wouldnt handle Fords powertrains and ultimately can tow better, so I cant think of a single FWD advantage, from what I know the Transit will also have a flat load floor, RWD and all...as for bulkheads...it can be added EXTREMELY easily aftermarket and theres choices, mesh, solid, window.....

No, a lower flat loading area can be a function of being FWD. Or not, depending on the width of flat loading area desired.

Now, with new transmissions that Ford is developing, it will be interesting to see if the FWD Transit does appear in NA. :)

FWD wouldnt handle Fords powertrains and ultimately can tow better, so I cant think of a single FWD advantage, from what I know the Transit will also have a flat load floor, RWD and all...as for bulkheads...it can be added EXTREMELY easily aftermarket and theres choices, mesh, solid, window.....

Having experience with work and cargo vans, flat load floors are a given. The problem with some (the E Series and GM vans), due to their passenger heritage are built with a footwell at the side door opening. For a passenger van this is necessary for ease of entry. For a cargo van, it is a pain and not necessary. Most stuff we load onto vans is on pallets, and to properly balance the load we often have to use a forklift to load through the side door. Not the easiest thing to do on the E Series and GM vans, a bit easier on the Sprinter. The warehouse guys here hate loading through side doors because it is tight - side to side and height. That is were the Promaster I looked at had a big advantage - bigger opening. I realize the lower load floor that FWD allows helps with this, but the difference is significant. I hope that the new Transit has some way of providing a similar size opening in the std roof and raised roof models.

And bulkheads. I see a lot of aftermarket bulkheads (we ship and receive many expedited shipments on dedicated trucks, 90% are vans). Almost every one adds its own squeaks and rattles. And most are attached so poorly that in a wreck they will hardly do anything to stop loose cargo from joining the driver. I have never seen one as well thought out and executed as on the Promaster. Again, I hope that the Transit has better ideas in this area. And in my experience, an OEM feature is just about always lower cost than an upfitter add on.

And in commercial use, towing with vans is nearly a non issue. I see so few commercial vans towing it kind of stands out when I see one. Mostly it will be a contractor with a utility body on a cutaway pulling an air compressor. Now, towing is much more common on vans in recreational / personal use, but that is a small portion today.

Just my observations, but unless you are in the commercial world, you do not see much commercial use.

Edited by lfeg

I you look at the pics you can see where the FWD Transit's load floor would be relative to the RWD's load floor.

the advantage of the FWD vs RWD is better fuel economy because the FWD variant is lighter and Designed to be lighter duty. and would ba a good fit for the Eco boost 2.0 or future 2.3.

the market for the FWD variant is for those customers that need the volume of a large van but not the payload rating of a large van, or customers that Carry passengers.

as you can see from the body in white the FWD and the RWD variants were designed together, and designed to be assembled together.

DSCF0425.JPG?psid=1DSCF0424.JPG?psid=1DSCF0426.JPG?psid=1DSCF0413.JPG?psid=1DSCF0408.JPG?psid=1

I still see a footwell at the side cargo door. For passenger service this is necessary, but at least bolt in a filler piece on the cargo vans. And the side cargo door opening in your photos still looks to be a similar width to that on the E Series. Fine for a passenger van, but another 4 to 6 inches would be better for commercial cargo applications. Remember, 42 inch wide pallets are very common - think just over a meter. And most sliding doors do not completely clear the opening, and the forklift guys like a little bit of clearance to keep from scraping the load or the body. A few inches can make a big difference.

I still see a footwell at the side cargo door. For passenger service this is necessary, but at least bolt in a filler piece on the cargo vans. And the side cargo door opening in your photos still looks to be a similar width to that on the E Series. Fine for a passenger van, but another 4 to 6 inches would be better for commercial cargo applications. Remember, 42 inch wide pallets are very common - think just over a meter. And most sliding doors do not completely clear the opening, and the forklift guys like a little bit of clearance to keep from scraping the load or the body. A few inches can make a big difference.

why would you load something that large from the side door?