'13 MKZ Review by Edmunds

To be fair, I would say that the new MKZ is not as bad as the worst reviews, and not as good as the cheerleaders say it is here. I guess the real question is it worth $50,000 in V6, AWD, retractable top form?. I would say probably not. And more than one reviewer has questioned the narrow, uncomfortable front seats and cramped interior. IMO, a better vehicle in FWD, 2.0EB form without heavy retractable top. Of course Lincoln is hoping for more orders for most expensive model, but I personally can think of a lot better alternatives in luxury car market for $50,000. Still not convinced that Ford understands luxury market just as William Clay Ford has never understood what it takes to win in NFL.

Perhaps a perception of $50,000 LINCOLN is the crux of the argument. Not the features. We pay $50,000 CAD for a Limited or Titanium Ford. Is it worth the extra dough? For what is has, yes. Can you get a cheaper mid-range SE for a lot less and very good features? Again Yes. My point is there is the pre-conceived notion that Lincoln is not 'good enough' no matter what. Is $50,000 USD for a ES acceptable? The sales say yes. I think again, Lincoln is getting the shit end for no real reason. Just a lot of dissapointment that expectations were not met. Too bad for them.

Really engineering then selling a s**t-ton of DEFINITIVE cars is what is being waited for, essentially demanded. The biggest step, the thing they need, is to make "Lincon" mean something beyond its current perception.

Until that happens, all the money and added employees won't change anyone's mind. The MKZ was supposedly mostly done...so it's only a partial example of what's coming. There's room for hope, but also for pessimism.

Well, perhaps there's hope. Remember the Five Hundred MCE? Change the name to Taurus and go back and do the styling again. The '500' changes didn't mean anything until a new body came out. Who can say?

I believe these tepid to poor reviews prove it can't be done the way Ford is planning on doing it.

Do you not understand the difference between reviewers with unrealistically high expectations versus the average buyer?

Reviews (especially online reviews) have almost no effect on sales unless they point out things that would actually deter the average buyer. I think sales will be just fine and probably increase 30% - 50% over the 2012 and if that's the case then it's a win for Ford.

I believe these tepid to poor reviews prove it can't be done the way Ford is planning on doing

It's not, the MKZ was more or less the "old" way how things where done with Lincoln outside of the changes to the grill on the car...I don't think for one moment that the MKZ is nearly as bad as the reviewers are saying it is...because the reviewer are so jaded when it comes to Lincoln. Not to mention the vast majority of reviewers want a BMW as the bar that all other luxury cars need to meet.

I see MKZ sales better this time next year by a decent margin.

Do you not understand the difference between reviewers with unrealistically high expectations versus the average buyer?

Reviews (especially online reviews) have almost no effect on sales unless they point out things that would actually deter the average buyer. I think sales will be just fine and probably increase 30% - 50% over the 2012 and if that's the case then it's a win for Ford.

You may be correct, but reviewers skewered the new Malibu, and many on here agreed with reviewers, and GM today is suspending production on Malibu for five weeks. And again, I hope the new MKZ sells great, as it probably will for six months or so, but I don't know that the sales will have long legs. The MKZ looks great though, so maybe that will be enough. After all, I believe looks are number one factor for many buyers. I love the looks of new Fusion and Focus and important factors for me to give it a look at least when I finally do buy and then consider all the other factors that are important to me. And lucky for me, I don't care much about straight line performance in daily driver as long as it's adequate if I need some 40-60mph passing power. Even my DOHC 24 valve V6 is adequate for me as daily driver right now.

Edited by RichardJensen
This is your last post. Further posts will be deleted.

But let me be clear about one final point. A properly sorted production 2011 Ford Explorer still would have finished in last place. It’s simply not as good as the competition.

The V-6 powered Ford Explorer Limited is, in our considered and professional opinion, a disappointment.

Yes, Ford sold more than 10,000 of the new model, the one we placed last in our family crossover comparison. Probably none of those buyers saw our report before heading to dealerships, though that’s not to say sales will drop off this month. After all, we really like the new Mustang, and it’s still struggling to catch Camaro sales.

We didn't like driving the Explorer very much

The big Ford also rode worse than much of the competition

We also had issues with the seating position. Considering its great width, one would think the Explorer would be spacious. But like the Taurus it's based on, it just isn't

The squeaking from the rear and the zippery farting noise coming from the windshield only enhance the rattletrap nature of the Explorer

2012 YTD Explorer sales: 141,649

Others in the MT review:

Traverse: 78,176 (-20%)

Durango: 37,373 (-20%)

Pilot: 103,482 (-1%)

CX-9: 21,089 (-30%)

Highlander: 108,864 (+22%)

In its first year on the market, the Explorer became the best selling three row crossover in the US. Despite being savaged by Motor Trend.

2012 YTD Explorer sales: 141,649

Others in the MT review:

Traverse: 78,176 (-20%)

Durango: 37,373 (-20%)

Pilot: 103,482 (-1%)

CX-9: 21,089 (-30%)

Highlander: 108,864 (+22%)

In its first year on the market, the Explorer became the best selling three row crossover in the US. Despite being savaged by Motor Trend.

Good point as the Explorer has a lot of road presence and seems to be a status symbol around here at least, and other regions I suspect. Maybe the new MKZ will become a status symbol for its looks too. You never know. Looks do seem to sell. Ugly never seems to sell.

You may be correct, but reviewers skewered the new Malibu, and many on here agreed with reviewers, and GM today is suspending production on Malibu for five weeks.

That's not due to lack of sales as much as overproduction. The Malibu actually sells well which only reinforces my point.

Well we can't be surprised that this would occur though. The typical comments are being echoed by pretty much every resource, and we can try pretty hard to "discredit" only so many... but reality is it's not all rainbows and unicorns by any means. Less focus on lifestyle aspirations, fabrics, fantasies, caviar, dreams and wishes, and focus ON what your selling a PRODUCT. Yes it'll sell well for the first year because it's something new and fresh and for those who don't know, or care, they'll just buy it for various reasons (cheap leases being one of them). As to Lincolns success in recreating a better showroom experience and ownership experience, will be in the workings, and it'll be some time before that venture reaps benefits, but this is obviously NOT the product that will get Lincoln back in the market, and I believe many of us who might not admit it, felt that way secretly.

It's sort of like grandma's thong underwear snapping off of her and falling on the floor with an empty thud...and no one is wanting to watch or be remotely near her. As some have said, give Lincoln a product that defines what a truely luxury american sedan is all about, a vehicle to aspire to, a vehicle to want to be seen in, a vehicle that engages drivers. Can't say the MKZ mission was any of that in essence. It's was more about "Lets try to create a Lexus ES350!" and that they have done.

Lincoln has a good product with the MKX, it just needs to be taken to the next level, but it's been accepted well and Improved upon quietly without fanfare because the vehicle is NOT trying to be anyone but itself.

I guess the analogy I'm trying to use is when people from the community come out, and attending so many political meetings, and going to so many fund raiser's and wanting to run for office (and many times I wish they would run against me but do not), I usually say "Oh there she is again... she's trying TO BE someone". The MKX isn't trying to be someone, rather it IS, what IT IS and people can appreciate that. The MKZ has been touted like the honor student in public school who was forced into private school where she isn't special anymore, yet, 'mediocre and typical' by their standards. In private school, you need to be all that and a bag of chips to be accepted. This value meal (MKZ) is missing the soft drink and fries from what the reviews are stating.

Well, perhaps there's hope. Remember the Five Hundred MCE? Change the name to Taurus and go back and do the styling again. The '500' changes didn't mean anything until a new body came out. Who can say?

Actually, as the current Taurus basically makes it impossible for tall types like myself to drive them, I'm a fan of the "transition" Taurus and the Taurus X. I can still drive the Flex, too, and I'd love one of those...but I hope the next Taurus update isn't relegated to 5'10" and shorter.

Actually, as the current Taurus basically makes it impossible for tall types like myself to drive them, I'm a fan of the "transition" Taurus and the Taurus X. I can still drive the Flex, too, and I'd love one of those...but I hope the next Taurus update isn't relegated to 5'10" and shorter.

That's right I remember that. I hope the high door sils and a higher top hat will come back. I fear crash regulations now will keep the tank feel for a while. Too bad actually.

I normally take much notice of TTAC but they do bring up some interesting points discussing Edmunds review of the MKZ

TTAC -Edmunds is Tired of the Lincoln MKZ

If you need proof that Lincoln really is down right now, here it is: they must be down,

because Edmunds is kicking them. The same blog that tossed the Volt’s salad with

an enthusiasm worthy of Tom Colicchio has placed its newest MKZ tester into the

stocks for a bit of the ol’ public shaming. At the crux of the issue: the disgusting

fact that, when fitted with the same tires found on the BMW M5, the Lincoln MKZ

outperforms it in the Edmunds slalom test.

Just kidding. There’s more to it than that. Or is there?

The article, titled “This Car Won’t Save Lincoln”, starts off with a Farago-esque broadside:

There are four things on the 2013 Lincoln MKZ that are undeniably best in class — four things that will blindside Lincoln’s rivals, and shock and awe its customers.

Those four things are its tires. The rest of the new MKZ is wanting, disappointing and generally undesirable.

Apparently, West Coast press-fleet MKZs are fitted with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport which,

according to the Lincoln PR person contacted by Edmunds, is only “85 percent certain” to be

offered in production. This tire, according to Edmunds, is the standard-equipment tire on the

BMW M5. When equipped with that tire, the MKZ was faster through the slalom than the

aforementioned M5, and one mile per hour slower than the Porsche 911.

As a racer, I respect the hell out of that. If you can beat the M5 on equal tires, when your car wasn’t engineered

for those tires, that’s doing something. It speaks volumes about Ford’sability to deliver the “European experience”

for which the color rags have been screaming since time immemorial. Nice job, guys.

As a journalist, however, I’m a little concerned about the behavior displayed by both Ford and Edmunds here.

Let’s start with the Blue Oval. This tire-swapping stunt isn’t even close to, say, Pontiac’s decision to drop a

tuned-up 421 into the 1964 GTO tested by Car and Driver. To begin with, it was prima facie obvious —

enough for the Edmunds editors to notice. I’m pretty sure the “stock” cars used by GM for all of their

Burgerkingring taxpayer trackdays are a lot farther away from showroom configuration than this re-shod

sedan was. With that said, the plain fact is that until the day that Lincoln customers can order their MKZs

with Michelin Super Sports, they should be left off the press cars. Playing it any other way is an ethical grey

area at best and customer deception at worst.

Now for Edmunds. Their review closes with this rather damning summation:

Basically, the MKZ just doesn’t feel special. And that’s the kiss of death in this hyper-competitive market,

which is filled with sedans that do feel special. And make no mistake, every other manufacturer that makes

an entry-luxury sedan — from Acura to Volvo — is selling a superior product.

Ford says this MKZ is the future of Lincoln. The car that will save it from suffering the same fate as Mercury,

Plymouth, Oldsmobile and Pontiac. But if this is the best Ford can do, we say Mulally, Fields and Farley

should just cut their losses and get the headstone ready.

Is the MKZ really inferior to the Civic-alike Volvo S60? The beaky-Accord Acura TL with its deafening interior and

retro electronics? The ladies at Edmunds doth protest too much, methinks. I’m also not sure that the mass-market-

sedan-based near-luxury market is “filled with sedans that do feel special.” It seems to me that whatever the MKZ’s

faults in the areas of rear-seat room, four-cylinder thrust, and unethical press-car tire choices, the sheer design

chutzpah of the thing makes it special. Dismissing it as an ES250 for the new millennium is a touch facile.

The problem is this: Edmunds needs the wobble. And as I’ve noted in the past:

[a particular writer] typically found his wobble the way the print guys do it nowadays: by picking on a vehicle

which barely trails a close competitive set.

It’s even better if the product comes from a company which is already being privately written-off in airport hospitality

lounges across the country. By blasting the MKZ, Edmunds is discharging its weapon in a safe direction. They’ll be

on the right side of history; when Lincoln closes its doors, Edmunds can point to this review as evidence that they

talked tough on Lincoln all the way to the grave. It makes stuff like their Acura puff piece look more credible and

cements their relationship with the Acura PR people in Torrance even further.

That’s how the sausage is made. In this case, Lincoln’s providing the mystery meat in the middle. Now, if you’ll excuse me,

I’m off to call my Ford PR person. Any time I see a car make good use of its tires, I don’t think hit piece; I think National

Solo dark horse. MKZ, giddyap!

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

That isn't a solution, though, because if half-assed efforts work, improvement isn't needed. With all of the social media (particularly FB) showing people wanting something special from Lincoln, it's obvious there are people waiting and hoping for something in a Lincoln dealership that can be worth talking about.

I want Lincoln to succeed, despite what some think...but I want them to succeed by stepping up and being who they could be, instead of who they were...except with nicer dealerships.

I really miss being excited about Lincolns. I miss getting to check out my old Motorcraft rep's Mark VIII, and seeing its swooping lines look so great compared to Caddy's squared-off look of that time. I miss the fantastic concept cars, I even miss the LS, which underpinned some great concepts and and a brief step into very hostile territory. It was a midpack initial effort, but that was the last ballsy move Lincoln has made...unless you count killing the Town Car.

I'd love to celebrate a definitive Lincoln. I did have hopes that the MKZ would give me reason. It isn't shaping up that way.

Caddy knows what it takes to be a player.

Yes they do, however I believe it has taken tons of money to get them where they are at and even with all the money they still have plenty of "fillers" in their line-up.

A glance at the specs reveals that the 2013 Lincoln MKZ has less interior volume than the Fusion (111.9 cubic feet versus 118.8). Since trunk capacity is similar — 15.4 cubes for the MKZ vs. 16 for the Fusion — we're wondering where all the space went.

How is that possible? 112 cubic feet versus 119 cubic feet is actually quite a lot of difference considering both are mid-size sedans built off the same chassis. Are they comparing the MKZ with a moon roof versus the Fusion without or is there really that much difference?

As much as the point raised that Lincoln facked up putting tires on that are not available from the manufacturer. What I take from this statement in the article is the chassis is very capable to take on the best of the best. Big + IMO.  "Because of those tires, the 2013 Lincoln MKZ went through our slalom at 69.2 mph. That's just 1 mph slower than the last 911 we tested, and a couple tenths quicker than the BMW M5. We repeat, the Lincoln MKZ beat the M5"   

My thoughts exactly! The MKZ is only $1200 worth of tires away from competing in the twisties with an M5. Bravo Lincoln!

How is that possible? 112 cubic feet versus 119 cubic feet is actually quite a lot of difference considering both are mid-size sedans built off the same chassis. Are they comparing the MKZ with a moon roof versus the Fusion without or is there really that much difference?

Yes there is acording to specs for both cars:

Fusion Headroom F/R : 39.2" / 37.8"

MKZ headroom F/R : 37.9" / 36.6"

Apparently that lost 2" in front head room is a big deal to Edmunds reviewers....

Really? I had no problem at 6'2 with both the 2010 and 2013 SHO's I sat in/test drove and the 2013 Fusion Ti I took out and they even had sunroofs! I had to recline the seat a bit (like I do in all my cars) but otherwise I had no problem.

I really hate the seating position on my parents 2008 Sable...I feel like I'm driving in a highchair and I'm up too high in the drivers seat.