'13 MKZ Review by Edmunds

I'd love to see the base models of the competiton together with the base MKZ and work up through the models. Other then that, sorry for Lincoln getting press like this. Maybe it's me, I'm driven a 328, C-class and they don't produce anything special either. I paid more money for really no reason.

Edmunds was right to call out Lincoln for putting non-standard tires on the car but did that then color their perception against the car?

Quickly scanning the article, it looked like Edmunds went on a rampage by saying, "Not good enough " across a whole range of points, are they right to say that?

Edmunds was right to call out Lincoln for putting non-standard tires on the car but did that then color their perception against the car?

Quickly scanning the article, it looked like Edmunds went on a rampage by saying, "Not good enough " across a whole range of points, are they right to say that?

I have to agree with you on that, I think the problem is that the Lincoln name is so soiled by the automotive press that no matter what they do, they'll be dragged through the mud even if they produce a "perfect" car...

• Like 1

That doesn't seem very smart on Lincoln's part.

Our V6, all-wheel-drive 2013 Lincoln MKZ test car showed up wearing ultra-aggressive Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires (245/40ZR19). They're the kind of tires that come standard on cars like the $90K BMW M5 and the $410K Ferrari 599 GTO.

Red flag. We contacted Lincoln and the response smacked of desperation. Seems the Lincoln engineers insisted on mounting these tires on all of the MKZs earmarked for media testing on the West Coast. They know us car tester types like impressive track numbers to bloviate about, and being in California means cold weather isn't an issue.

Problem is, Lincoln admits that the tires are unicorns. All versions of the 2013 Lincoln MKZ (2.0 EcoBoost, V6, hybrid, everything) come standard with 245/45R18 Michelin Primacy MXM4 low-rolling-resistance all-season tires. And even if you wanted summer tires, the Lincoln spokesperson admitted he was only 85 percent confident that Pilot Super Sports would even be offered, and they would be subject to availability at dealerships.

In other words, the test results we got with our test car on the 19-inch summer tires are not really representative of an MKZ you can purchase. It's also completely counter to the needs and wants of 99.99999 percent of entry-level luxury sedan buyers.

Because of those tires, the 2013 Lincoln MKZ went through our slalom at 69.2 mph. That's just 1 mph slower than the last 911 we tested, and a couple tenths quicker than the BMW M5. We repeat, the Lincoln MKZ beat the M5.

And that's exactly the kind of data point those tricky tire-switching Lincoln engineers were hoping for.

Foolish. Instead of trying to game the media, Lincoln should have designed and engineered a better car.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Because of those tires, the 2013 Lincoln MKZ went through our slalom at 69.2 mph. That's just 1 mph slower than the last 911 we tested, and a couple tenths quicker than the BMW M5. We repeat, the Lincoln MKZ beat the M5.

I love this.

I love this because it shows just how useless these reviews are, and how worthless most reviewers are. They are not serious writers, and the gravitas that they assume in situations like this is just absurd. Like a toddler dressed up in a tux.

As much as the point raised that Lincoln facked up putting tires on that are not available from the manufacturer. What I take from this statement in the article is the chassis is very capable to take on the best of the best. Big + IMO. "Because of those tires, the 2013 Lincoln MKZ went through our slalom at 69.2 mph. That's just 1 mph slower than the last 911 we tested, and a couple tenths quicker than the BMW M5. We repeat, the Lincoln MKZ beat the M5"

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

Another reviewer who thinks Lincoln has to hit a home run with one car or they're doomed forever. The usual MLT bashing was expected. And putting on ringer tires was just stupid. Why not put those tires on an optional sport package if they're so good? You notice they didn't give any credit for the handling even with the tires.

I bet if you read the ES350 review it won't have any of those negative connotations even in areas where the MKZ is better.

"This is not the car that will save Lincoln."

Good thing it's not supposed to do that.

• Like 2

That is a very depressing review. Too slow, narrow front seats, mediocre to poor fuel mileage, too heavy, and many areas of interior show poor quality. Looks like 2.0EB is best choice as at least it will lighten up the vehicle and improve fuel mileage. Also don't understand where the interior room went compared to Fusion. I see no reason to buy this vehicle over the Fusion other than extra features and better dealer service which of course you pay at least an extra $10,000 for. I'm tired of reading of Lincoln failures.....if not for Lincoln dealer investment, I would also say time to close it up and move on. I'm coming to the conclusion that taking existing Ford platforms and adding just a tophat and some extra features just won't get it done in the hyper competitive luxury market. I hope the MKZ is a good seller with higher transaction prices, but looks like any sales success will be temporary as the targets the MKZ is taking on are moving quickly. Very hard to justify spending $40,000-$50,000 for this vehicle when there are so many more competitive vehicles out there. Loyalty only goes so far.

In keeping with my newfound focus on enjoying this forum, as opposed to arguing with those who cannot be persuaded, and whose use for logic ends when it stops supporting their opinions, let me say merely this:

I disagree with FordBuyer, aneekr, and Zan.

FordBuyer is under restrictions because he repeats himself and contributes little to the forum besides opinions which we are by now all familiar with, and Zan was suspended for two weeks for unleashing a torrent of abuse at other members.

That's how they carry themselves on this forum.

Just so you know.

In keeping with my newfound focus on enjoying this forum, as opposed to arguing with those who cannot be persuaded, and whose use for logic ends when it stops supporting their opinions, let me say merely this:

I disagree with FordBuyer, aneekr, and Zan.

FordBuyer is under restrictions because he repeats himself and contributes little to the forum besides opinions which we are by now all familiar with, and Zan was suspended for two weeks for unleashing a torrent of abuse at other members.

That's how they carry themselves on this forum.

Just so you know.

We know Jensen. And being the constant stalker you are are of my posts, I doubly know, and I couldn't disagree more with your inane posts. Keep to moderation and quit giving your opinions which is all they are most times. I didn't give that depressing review, Edmunds did. If you don't like, write them and start a boycott or something constructive instead of attacking objective posters who are not cheerleaders.

Edited by RichardJensen
Two posts. You have 3 remaining.

I have to agree with you on that, I think the problem is that the Lincoln name is so soiled by the automotive press that no matter what they do, they'll be dragged through the mud even if they produce a "perfect" car...

And the sad thing is that you'd expect a professional organization to be a tad less -- shall we say -- "haterish" than your average Autoblog/Jalopnik/LLN commenter.

And the sad thing is that you'd expect a professional organization to be a tad less -- shall we say -- "haterish" than your average Autoblog/Jalopnik/LLN commenter.

Does this mean that anyone else reviewing will bow to peer-pressure? Will other join the hate-fest because their sites will get more hits? I agree that Lincoln will be dragged through the mud because that's the way it is.

@ Ford Buyer: IIRC, moderators can comment just like anyone else. I don't agree with everyone's opinion but I will agree this blow-for-blow craps got to go. I don't use ignore because I listen to everyone's voice in the real world. I use the same judgement here in my temperment in responses. You guys don't agree fine. I have to say perhaps another opinion opposed to recycling would aid your cause.