Ford & Lincoln at NAIAS 2013

Exactly. Been there. Done that. Got the Tshirt.

Remember how excited Mulally got about those concepts? Then they told him they weren't really production viable and were just mockups. And that was the end of non production capable concepts.

Does make you wonder how the MKR would've sold.

Six automotive journalists and 2 GMI members would buy one. After that, it would make the MKT look like a great seller.

I have nothing to base it on, but if it were to be priced similarly to the MKS, I think it would of sold pretty well. With having three kids, I can justify buying a new Lincoln MKR more so than a Mustang BOSS 302.

Actually, it likely would've boosted Lincoln sales by over 25%, and that's conservative. I base that on the sales of the much-embattled CTS, whose sales-seen as far too few-would be a massive increase to the meager numbers of recent Lincoln reports.

Given that Lincoln didn't even sell 7,500 units last month, a rwd offering adding 3000+ sales per month?

Yeah. Makes one think a touch.

Six automotive journalists and 2 GMI members would buy one. After that, it would make the MKT look like a great seller.

Actually, it likely would've boosted Lincoln sales by over 25%, and that's conservative. I base that on the sales of the much-embattled CTS, whose sales-seen as far too few-would be a massive increase to the meager numbers of recent Lincoln reports.

Given that Lincoln didn't even sell 7,500 units last month, a rwd offering adding 3000+ sales per month?

You really think the MKR would garner over 1/3 the sales the Mustang manages every month? I think that's being extremely optimistic, especially considering the price tag it likely would have had.

Keep in mind how much of the CTS volume is made up of the $34k stripper models, complete with black plastic "missing foglight" spacers. I doubt, or at least would hope not, that Lincoln would decontent to move volume.

• Like 1

You really think the MKR would garner over 1/3 the sales the Mustang manages every month? I think that's being extremely optimistic, especially considering the price tag it likely would have had.

anyone know sales numbers for high end or special edition or Shelby Mustangs?

(not implying they'd equate to LincStang numbers, just wondering)

anyone know sales numbers for high end or special edition or Shelby Mustangs?

(not implying they'd equate to LincStang numbers, just wondering)

Don't know the current Shelby numbers, but back in the Cobra days, when the Mustang overall was selling a bit better than it is now, the totals would usually range around 8,000-12,000 a year. I would say it's safe to say the Shelby numbers are lower than that.

The MKR concept was built on a Panther if memory serves. It was just an design study which set the stage for cars like the MKT and MKX (cars that in no way resemble a 2-door luxury barge). Lincoln never had plans to produce the MKR, it wasn't even a possibility.

The MKR concept was built on a Panther if memory serves. It was just an design study which set the stage for cars like the MKT and MKX (cars that in no way resemble a 2-door luxury barge). Lincoln never had plans to produce the MKR, it wasn't even a possibility.

I'll try to find a link to back this up, but I am pretty sure it had more in common with the LS than the Panther. I remember reading that somewhere. I also remember the "Twin-Force" was a fake. It just a cover over a Mustang 4.0L V6. :P

Autoblog's Test Drive of the MKR

Autoblog claims "The MKR, like the Interceptor, is built from a stretched S197 Mustang platform, in this case with an extra six inches between the wheels".

Edited by NLPRacing

I'll try to find a link to back this up, but I am pretty sure it had more in common with the LS than the Panther. I remember reading that somewhere. I also remember the "Twin-Force" was a fake. It just a cover over a Mustang 4.0L V6. :P

Pretty sure it was a Mustang chassis with some type of IRS bolted on to the rear.

the MKT-concept had a Panther wheelbase groucho.gif

but the MKR's matched the 500/Taurus

tho

as said elsewhere about the Evos

imho using the term 'platform' about a one-off showcar doesn't seem very realistic to me

Back on topic: it was mentioned earlier in the thread that Mulally frowns upon concepts with no production intent, which is what I have read too.

On the other hand, he apparently was okay with the Evos as a demonstration of Ford's styling ethos going forward. With that thought in mind, I would really like/almost expect to see a Lincoln concept that demonstrates Wolff's intention for the brand's styling going forward. Unless the MKZ is the epitomy of what Lincoln styling will be (and supposedly it is not since Wolff came on board too late to do much to it except the grill), then it would make sense for Lincoln to show a concept ala Evos to demonstrate Lincoln's forward styling direction.

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 1

It doesn't have to be the exact vehicle going to production but the pieces of the vehicle (drivetrain, styling, features) have to be production capable otherwise it's a waste of resources.

The MKR platform didn't exist and wasn't planned. The engine was a fake. They didn't have anything that would support a coupe tophat.

Evos parts have already shown up with the 2013 Fusion and presumably the next Mustang.

On the other hand, he apparently was okay with the Evos as a demonstration of Ford's styling ethos going forward. With that thought in mind, I would really like/almost expect to see a Lincoln concept that demonstrates Wolff's intention for the brand's styling going forward. Unless the MKZ is the epitomy of what Lincoln styling will be (and supposedly it is not since Wolff came on board too late to do much to it except the grill), then it would make sense for Lincoln to show a concept ala Evos to demonstrate Lincoln's forward styling direction.

I'd *love* to see that too

but

hope they don't do it - esp if there's a single defining style they PLAN to use for the whole lineup -

if for no other reason, that apparently we have a whole year of nothing but the MKC coming ... maybe next NAIAS, from what Mr. Mulally said, there should 2 intros in 2014cy

if for no other reason, that apparently we have a whole year of nothing but the MKC coming ... maybe next NAIAS, from what Mr. Mulally said, there should 2 intros in 2014cy

That's a very good point - the timing of the Evos was such that production models featuring some of its styling attributes appeared fairly quickly after its debut. So, your thought makes perfect sense: debut the "Lincoln Evos" at NAIAS in 2014 ahead of production vehicles that will debut in that year.

My prediction is the new split wing grill design on the mkz will be abandoned on the mkc concept. Rumor has it then when applying the new grill to other lincoln vehicles for the next 5 year product cycle the asthetic left something to be desired.

Edited by markd4864

My prediction is the new split wing grill design on the mkz will be abandoned on the mkc concept. Rumor has it then when applying the new grill to other lincoln vehicles for the next 5 year product cycle the asthetic left something to be desired.

Nah, I don't think so - I'm sure it'll work...

Rumor has it you are mistaken, but it's just a rumor. :)

So since we saw the MKC what is Ford going to show off? Just the NA verisons of the Transit? No other trim changes (I'm looking at you, Fusion ST!)

The complete specs on the Transit are supposed to be released at the NAIAS, but hopefully Ford will have more than that. An F150 "concept" would be okay, but I really hope we get "surprised" with something. A Bronco or Thunderbird concept would work.