Lincoln releases Jimmy Fallon, Twitter-sourced Super Bowl ad

UGH! I am so dissapointed. That is a Thursday 8pm commercial. That is not a super bowl commercial. Hell, I like the other commercials they have aired better. What a waste of 4 million. Lincoln is supposed to be targeting a different crowd, but I am not sure the crowd this commercial is for will even be watching the Super bowl. It should have been something showing lincoln is reinventing its self. Something that people will notice and remember. The super bowl commercials are supposed to be fun and light hearted. Not boring and end with everyone one saying WTF!!!?

Lincoln has two spots, the other is this one...which has aired previously oddly enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vw9w9vevI

It wasn't an ad aimed at enthusiasts, it was an aimed at the type of people who think everything about Lincoln is old. I found it cute.

I'm sure Surface Pro customers will appreciate real world business use as well.

Sort of like the luxury car market.

Yeah, because businesses use Windows 8.

I'm sure those Surface Pro users will appreciate buying a 64GB tablet with 23GB available to the user and a 4-hour battery life. Very consumer friendly.

Can I use Photoshop, Revit, Excel, and Word on an iPad? My laptop battery lasts about 3 hours, so anything that extends that and allows me to use all those programs with a thinner profile that is easier to tote around to meetings is a benefit.

Give it up mustang84isu. Borg is an iOS sheep. Which is odd, because he thinks that Android rules market share in the tablet space. The comment about businesses using Windows 8 is great. Businesses use Windows platforms, therefore Windows 8 on a tablet is relatively simple to integrate and manage within existing architecture.

Borg, when does your MKZ arrive so you can change your mind again?

Edited by 02MustangGT

I actually liked the ad. It is different, and it gets people talking. If you read the comments on Autoblog, they run from one side of the spectrum to the other.

I am so tired of the same tired luxury ads. Lifestyle ads. Celebrity ads (like I give a flying _____ what some celebrity would like). Dry lakebed ads. Sliding sideways ads.

Who cares how Lincoln gets attention. Just that they get attention. Lincoln isn't so much tarnished, as it has been invisible. Invisible is easier to fix.

That said, it sure will be nice when the MKZ's hit the lots. I'm sure the dealerships would like something to sell. Frankly, if sufficient numbers of MKZ's were on the lots, January would have been an up month or Lincoln, as pretty much all models sold more than last year.

Ad is terrible.

And Apple is a distant second to Android for anything but playing music or stupid games. I have used them all and my S3 is far superior to the IPhone 5. I get so tired of the apple apologists and their mantra "it just works." Same with the PC to Mac comparison, there's a reason PC dominates (and it ain't style). Yea, I want to pay 4 times as much for an inferior product cuz its "cool."

Apple is for superficial people more worried about status than functionality. Like Borg.

Lincoln's commercials are more intimate, more authentic(hipster) and human scale than the flamboyant starship ads which might excite but don't really charm. VW is especially good at this. I don't think Lincoln connected the dots well enough in this one, and it certainly won't be noticed as much as Lincoln probably needs it to be, but it's not horrible at all. The ad seems to fly against the existing ads however, which are more traditional and geared toward an older crowd. So now I'm confused by the MKZ's target market, this commercial is best appreciated by a younger audience. Personally, I actually connect better with this ad than any of the other Lincoln ads which probably says something about the intended audience. The ad pivots on a single concept which I think needs to define Lincoln in some concrete way, which is the idea of the individual experience, and I'd rather see this campaign going forward.

OH MY GOD, I just read this and boom, pow! Check and mate.

Ladies and gentleman, the new face of the Lincoln Motor Company!

fucking-hipsters.jpg

KingoftheHillHipsters.jpg

dale-hipsters-350x262.png

I can't imagine this will pay off for Ford

Edited by probowler

I actually liked the ad. It is different, and it gets people talking.

And that is what Lincoln needs. "There's no such thing as bad publicity," as they say, and this isn't a bad ad. The way they included Wil Wheaton was smart, IMHO--it's a DVR moment. I was watching the ad, said "hey, that looked like Wil Wheaton," then backed up to see if it was him, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens during the Super Bowl airing, too.

• Like 1

I have no idea who Will Wheaton is.....nor do I care. They would of been better served to use the 1:30 MKZ ad that aired a month ago....the one with the old lincolns in it, the clay model of the mkz......that would reach the soul of many more people.

What a waste of 4 milliion.

Car nostalgia doesn't reach anybody's soul, especially those who don't idolize car brands.

I realize as enthusiasts people want commercials for enthusiasts, but Lincoln needs to expand its image everywhere. For comparison, the Caddy ATS commercials are almost all enthusiast-focused. How well is it selling?

Ha, Caddy is doing extremely well. They sold the most cars in 23 years last month and saw the most growth of any brand in the US. In the interim, Lincoln is at the very opposite end of the spectrum, literally saw the most contraction of any brand and sold fewer cars than Mitsubishi, hell the Caddy SRX outsold Lincoln. Lincoln sold only 1,000 more cars than Caddy sold of the ATS. I mean it's dismal over there, and we're not talking about a high-end luxury car, these are deeply discounted vehicles which already under-price the competition with far more dealerships. Lincoln has a very long ladder to climb and right now they can't even get get their 2013/14 MKZ to the showrooms even remotely on time.

I'm actually not that pessimistic about Lincoln, I still have a longer view of this...but I'm just not interested in hearing what Lincoln is doing right and what Caddy is doing wrong right now when Lincoln keeps f-ing things up. I'm so sick of the perpetual death spiral that just won't break. I've been watching this for a good 6 years now, at least. But change is happening (very slowly) and now we just need results.

Edited by BORG