New Fusion/MKZ Gorgeous, But Escape a Mess

And the justification for that logic is: "Do you know how long I've worked in the auto industry?"

personally I dont care what anyone says, Fords on a roll, their sales and profitability reflect that, I cant think of a single manufacturer with as strong a lineup as Ford...and theres MORE coming...

• Like 1

personally I dont care what anyone says, Fords on a roll, their sales and profitability reflect that, I cant think of a single manufacturer with as strong a lineup as Ford...and theres MORE coming...

Spot on. I have an MKZ on order but I'm a dyed in the wool blue oval fan. My desk at work has a Ford display and my detached garage where I park my GT500 is totally Blue Oval themed. It's a good time for me personally to be a Ford fan.

• Like 2

Well, certainly the freshest and arguably the most advanced technology wise with EB and MFT. It's most formidable competitor IMO Toyota still has dated Corolla and for most part Camry is dated and way too conservative also. And new RAV 4 hasn't appeared yet. Only a new Avalon lately while Ford has all new, fresh lineup from top to bottom. Ford is in a position to hit on all cylinders in North America for 2013 and post some impressive sales figures month after month. And if gas prices skyrocket, they still can do well with so many fuel efficient offerings. Refreshed Fiesta is coming out at perfect time wtih gas prices already approaching $4 in February.

Well, certainly the freshest and arguably the most advanced technology wise with EB and MFT. It's most formidable competitor IMO Toyota still has dated Corolla and for most part Camry is dated and way too conservative also. And new RAV 4 hasn't appeared yet. Only a new Avalon lately while Ford has all new, fresh lineup from top to bottom. Ford is in a position to hit on all cylinders in North America for 2013 and post some impressive sales figures month after month. And if gas prices skyrocket, they still can do well with so many fuel efficient offerings. Refreshed Fiesta is coming out at perfect time wtih gas prices already approaching $4 in February.

Seems the Avalon is touted by Toyota as "all-new" every 3-4 years, but it still hasn't gained any traction in the market since its launch 15 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I were shopping for a new SUV to replace our Expedition. We had pretty much made up our minds to get an Escape as we wanted a smaller vehicle. We went to the auto show to check out our choices. After seeing the Escape in person, I liked it less. It didn't help it was right next to a Edge. We ended up ordering a Edge instead. We just like the looks better on the Edge and the larger interior was enough to convince us.

Edited by jmacd27

They'll become the new Panther mafia and keep buying used 2001-2012 Escapes.

That's what I'm doing. Ford will never sell me a new escape, if I don't buy a dodge challenger I will be replacing my 2008 XLT with a 2011/2012 escape limited :salute:

The new escape will probably sell just as well as all the other girly SUVs, but that doesn't win it any beauty points.

The new escape will probably sell just as well as all the other girly SUVs, but that doesn't win it any beauty points.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Funny thing is, of all the people who have seen my Escape or sat in the passenger seats, not one of them have called it a "girly SUV". Most people wouldn't say something like that to your face, but I have a few friends who would, and none of them have. As a matter of fact, everyone has commented on how good it looks and how nice it is overall. Oh well, like I said, everyone has an opinion.

I was thinking of replacing our edge withe the escape but after seeing them in person I think I will wait for the MKC. The escape looks narrow

The MKC will be just as narrow as the Escape...the MKC you see now is a concept that is ALOT wider then the Escape...just look at the doors when they are open...they are nearly foot deep!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Funny thing is, of all the people who have seen my Escape or sat in the passenger seats, not one of them have called it a "girly SUV". Most people wouldn't say something like that to your face, but I have a few friends who would, and none of them have. As a matter of fact, everyone has commented on how good it looks and how nice it is overall. Oh well, like I said, everyone has an opinion.

Funny thing is my Fiancee has a 2010 Escape and she says the new one doesn't look like an SUV any more and looks like a bug without the roof racks...LOL

I stopped reading when I saw this:

doesnt Bob Lutz work for Consumer Reports now?.....

Bad habits never go away. I wonder if Old Man Lutz (Former Ford Employee) is still getting any separation pay/bonus/goodies from Ford? I heard that Jack Nasser, after almost single handily destroyed Ford, was getting a car and a free office in Dearborn.

Edited by bobbyd

I heard that Jack Nasser, after almost single handily destroyed Ford, was getting a car and a free office in Dearborn.

Incorrect, he took his $20 million separation package and moved onto greener pastures

he continued being a director on several boards but now heads up BHP Billiton..

Edited by jpd80

Of all the things to complain about the Escape styling it is the the front end, which is the best balanced part of the design... It is the rear where is all falls apart. But as others have said all of this comes from Bob I replaced the Bronco II with the Explorer... So the man who take credit for turning Ford's Wrangler into the mommy mobile would be dismissive of a monster he created. I still don't get the near love of everything Lutz has done because everything with his name on it seems half-a$$ed.

I still don't get the near love of everything Lutz has done because everything with his name on it seems half-a$$ed.

Bob Lutz' decisions appeal to the vocal minority who incorrectly think that their opinions are reflective of the wider buyer audience.

He is the embodiment of the phrase, "CAR GUY" and "CAR GUY DECISION MAKING" in complete abeyance to conflicting market research.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I have to agree with you. It is a bit different. My mom has had an Escape for a few years, and when this new one was coming out, she opted for the Focus instead because of how the 2013 Escape looks.

well, shes a minority, last month was the ford Escapes BEST MONTH EVER...............

Purely subjective, but I like the new design. In fact I would say I like it a lot. I do agree with the idea that it lacks a ruggedness that would imply an off-road capability and that Ford does not have anything smaller in the truck or SUV arena that fills that niche. A 9/10 scale Raptor would really be nice.

Edited by PRM

I personally drive an Escape and I can drive any Ford Lincoln on my lot. We are pulling people out of the old body style and putting them in the new model faster than I can get product. I am buying loads from other dealers to keep up. From where I sit Escape is a huge success. I think the styling is just fine and I can't honestly recall a customer telling me otherwise. I think that article is BS.

• Like 1

Until I decided on the Fusion Hybrid because of style and gas mileage, I seriously considered the Escape because I liked its styling and ability to carry passengers and/or extra cargo - of course a particular style is definetly never going to be unilaterally accepted by everyone.

Until I decided on the Fusion Hybrid because of style and gas mileage, I seriously considered the Escape because I liked its styling and ability to carry passengers and/or extra cargo - of course a particular style is definetly never going to be unilaterally accepted by everyone.

Same here (except I went with Fusion Energi). I really wanted an Escape Hybrid, and I'm hoping that due to both models' success, and improving battery tech, we'll see an Escape Energi by 2016.