Some Ford Dealers miss Small Pickup

IMO theres WAY too much BS on some vehicles that have lost sight of their initial purpose.....so, simple, tough and truckie looking....anyone/ thing else out there tick those three boxes?...

Is it because the manufactures want to make a profit or is it because people are more demanding these days? Its hard to put the gene back in the bottle...

its like the saying:

A Luxury Once Had Becomes A Necessity

Say once you have say a butt warmers on your car, are you going to go back to a product that doesn't offer them? I know I miss my buttwarmers and sun roof on my SVT Focus I had....I got heated and cooled seats with a sunroof on my SHO :)

I find the standard cab Ranger impossible to get into, and if anything, any changes to make the standard cab more accommodating would make the newer Ranger bigger and closer in size to the F-150

On that note, I saw a ~6'-4" 250lber getting out of the back of an extended cab Ranger today...without the extra suicide doors. Almost had to laugh! :)

I can see the argument about size, but IIRC the difference between a Super Cab Ranger and most 6ft bed length F-150s is a difference of less then 20 inches...its a decent difference but at the same time not that more "huge" or whatever you want to call it. Yes the F-150 is wider and taller, but its not Mosteriously bigger (outside of a 8 foot bed) then a Super Cab Ranger....if you can't adjust for 10 inches give or take between the front and rear of the truck...you might have issues.

I find the standard cab Ranger impossible to get into, and if anything, any changes to make the standard cab more accommodating would make the newer Ranger bigger and closer in size to the F-150

Well, there is one problem with his F-150, it won't fit in his garage like his Ranger.

• Like 1

Is it because the manufactures want to make a profit or is it because people are more demanding these days? Its hard to put the gene back in the bottle...

its like the saying:

A Luxury Once Had Becomes A Necessity

Say once you have say a butt warmers on your car, are you going to go back to a product that doesn't offer them? I know I miss my buttwarmers and sun roof on my SVT Focus I had....I got heated and cooled seats with a sunroof on my SHO :)

any of those omissions wouldnt bother me....leave them for the upmarket....me, I harken back to a buddys Courier of all things, we had a blast in that thing, beat the crap out of it and it did everything we asked of it, it didnt even have...GASP....speed adjusted volume...yeah I know, deal killer...

• Like 1

I can see the argument about size, but IIRC the difference between a Super Cab Ranger and most 6ft bed length F-150s is a difference of less then 20 inches...its a decent difference but at the same time not that more "huge" or whatever you want to call it. Yes the F-150 is wider and taller, but its not Mosteriously bigger (outside of a 8 foot bed) then a Super Cab Ranger....if you can't adjust for 10 inches give or take between the front and rear of the truck...you might have issues.

dont forget Height and width....sure, a smaller truck wont fit some, for them theres STILL the F-150....this is just a discussion that a market exists below a vehicle with the 150s capacities and size....I think it does, and every weekend when my stepsons buddies load up their Motorbikes into their Rangers and Tacomas, it underlines my very thoughts...Ford is ignoring the youth market it seems by not having an entry.....

ironically, heres a release regarding Nissans Frontier....First things first: The MSRP of both the King Cab and Crew Cab models have dropped by $1,270 with new starting prices of $17,990 and $22,030 (*not including the $845 destination charge), respectively. The biggest price drop is seen on the SV Crew Cab 4x2, which dropped $1,450 to its new price of $23,990......

Well, there is one problem with his F-150, it won't fit in his garage like his Ranger.

"Standard" Garage is 12x20 at a minimum

SuperCab Ranger is almost 17 feet and a 6ft bed Standard cab F-150 just under 18 feet....tight...but it will still fit...

At 16K it wouldn't make $$$ but if it was in the 22-25K range, there is no reason why it couldn't make $$$

22k won't fly the price point is too close to the midsize trucks.

It needs to be appreciably below the price of the least expensive mid-sized pickup which is 17k

so you are looking at a base price of 15-16k.

you cannot get a C-car based truck profitable at that price point.

For that price you are giving up capability, space and comfort. but you gain insane fuel economy, and more capbility in towing and payload than anything on the market for The price.

SuperCab Ranger is almost 17 feet and a 6ft bed Standard cab F-150 just under 18 feet....tight...but it will still fit...

Standard cab won't work for me. There are times when I'll carry four adults,a baby carrier , and a dog. My 2005 F 150 Super Cab fit in my garage just fine. The new ones...not so much. when Ford cancelled the Ranger and Sport Trac programs they also effectively stretched the F 150 by a foot by eliminating the 5 1/2 foot bed as an option. I assume they didn't sell too many in that configuration, but that was before they cancelled the "compact" trucks.Hopefully they'll consider offering that configuration for 2015.

Standard cab won't work for me. There are times when I'll carry four adults,a baby carrier , and a dog.

Dude you need a Minivan or large SUV....a compact truck won't do you any good!

My 2005 F 150 Super Cab fit in my garage just fine. The new ones...not so much.

2013 F-150 Super Cab 6.5 ft bed OVL 231.9

2005 F-150 Super Cab 6.5 ft bed OVL 229.8

2 inches? WTF

I have to reply as this is such a sore point for us. We have Rangers and F-150's and really hate the direction both trucks have taken.

Ours are 4X4 trucks since we live in an area where 4X4 is required most of the time. The Rangers have been mules for us - hauling firewood, plowing snow and generally doing tough work in smaller places that full-size trucks don't fit.

The F-150's have also been great trucks. The 15-year-old extended cab 5.4 is the best vehicle we have ever owned and it's still a good truck, looks good and gets about 17mpg most of the time on the highway at high altitude. Never had a major repair. And, it's a decent size for everyday use.

Regarding a previous comment about the regular cab F-150 being a replacement for the Ranger, I would like to add that we own both. We have a late model F-150 regular cab (5.4), 6.5 bed and have racked the miles up on it because we like it and it works for us. The turning radius is amazing, the gas mileage is a consistent 18mpg on the highway.

But, it has been a compromise vehicle for us and not our favorite choice. This regular cab with little room behind the front seats is mostly the same length as our older extended cab. So, we are giving up the rear seats of the older extended cab with the same bed length for the same size vehicle.

And also to comment on an earlier post, the wheelbase of this short bed, regular cab F-150 at 126 inches is the same as the wheelbase for our extended cab Ranger. This F-150 is an XL trim and without the weight of carpet and power everything, it feels like a sports car with the 5.4 V-8. And does get close to the same mileage as the 4.0 extended cab Ranger. Just wider, taller, harder to park, etc.

We'll try to wait a while longer for Ford to make something that works for us again. It needs to be smaller than the current F-150 and weigh less but still have a good power to weight ratio and hopefully get 25 mpg on the highway. And, at a minimum, haul 1,000 pounds and tow 6,000 pounds.

Not at all interested in a light-duty Ranger replacement. It still needs to be a strong vehicle capable of work duty. Maybe the two can become one.

Hope so.

I really can't figure out why Ford stopped offering the 5.5ft with the extended cab on the F-150 other than the Raptor. They built them for 2009MY with the new design then stopped in 2010 as the Raptor came out. Mine fits in my garage, it is tight but I can still pull it in and get around it with the door closed. Seems that it would have made sense to offer that as sort of a ranger ext cab replacement. I know someone who has a '06 and an '09 both with the 5.5ft bed and they love the shorter turning radius and easier parking it allows,.

He has dual panel doors, so the opening is too narrow for his truck unless the mirrors are folded (which he can't do automatically). And even then you're literally dealing with an inch of margin which guarantees damage at some point. The garage is long enough.

I know I'm just wasting my breath here but I would like to make a few points.

First of all, I find it very amusing that ever since Ford made their statement that they were investigating the small truck market again it is no longer taboo to discuss it here. Corporate you-know-whats. LOL.

Secondly, I think the decision to kill the Ranger and not offer the T6 in N America could be laid squarely on Derrick Kuzak's shoulders and he has since retired.

Also, the width of the F-150 is an issue. Sure, you can get a full size truck that is nearly as short as the longest Ranger but that is not the problem for most buyers. The F-150 is too wide to fit in my garage without folding the mirrors and then I can barely get the door open.

The T6 Ranger Wildtrak is nearly identical in size to my current Sport Trac. Sell it here with the 3.2L diesel (same engine as upcoming Transit), a NA 4 cylinder, the EB 2.0L or even the 3.5 or 3.7L NA V6. I would buy a T6 Wildtrak with the 3.7L yesterday.

For the same reason they discontinued the Flareside option. The take rate was too low.

Problem is that they based that on some of the worst years in the Auto Industry. In May of '09 you could get a F-150 Lariat Loaded for 30K. Nothing was selling.

Problem is that they based that on some of the worst years in the Auto Industry. In May of '09 you could get a F-150 Lariat Loaded for 30K. Nothing was selling.

That wouldn't have anything to do with the percentage of buyers opting for that configuration. And they still sold several hundred thousand units even in 09.

He has dual panel doors, so the opening is too narrow for his truck unless the mirrors are folded (which he can't do automatically).

I was using dimensions I found online about a standard 1 car garage....I have NFC as it what his actual dimensions his actual garage is.

IIRC, the width between the 2005 and 2013 hasn't changed...

I had a 1999 Ranger with the well respected 3.0 Vulcan V6. That was a good engine and it was well used throughout the Ford fleet such as in the Taurus/Sable, Aerostar, Windstar. This engine ended production in 2007 for the Taurus and 2008 for the Ranger. This left the aging and dirty 4.0 Cologne V6 and the aged 2.3 4 cylinder. Ford should have replaced all three engines in 2005 a updated 2.3 4 cylinder (The Ranger's 2.3 produced 143hp while the same engine produced 160 hp in the Fusion). Both V6's should have been replaced with the 3.0 V6 or two years later with the 3.5 V6. I think those would have boosted sales but the main problem was all the competion had larger compact trucks that were redesigned/updated. While the Ranger stayed true to it's class, it's competion did not and the Ranger suffered.

That wouldn't have anything to do with the percentage of buyers opting for that configuration. And they still sold several hundred thousand units even in 09.

It has everythig to do with numbers of %, if it had a 5% take rate and the sell rate is 200,000 units it would have 10,000 units sold, if Ford sold 450,000 units I've sold 25,000 units. Plus the 133" wheelbase is still made for the Raptor. Just going to Cars.com and looking at 133" wheelbase 2009 it looks like the take rate was about 5-7% of Ext cab sales which I agree is low but if you have the ability to build it why not?

I'm concerned that the next F-150 won't have a shortbed option for the extended cab Raptor, with the way the Crew cab models sell that might be the only Raptor offered. Probably 50% of the ext cab people would just get the crew and Ford really wouldn't care about the other 50% of buyers as you're only talking about 2K units

I know I'm just wasting my breath here but I would like to make a few points.

First of all, I find it very amusing that ever since Ford made their statement that they were investigating the small truck market again it is no longer taboo to discuss it here. Corporate you-know-whats. LOL.

Secondly, I think the decision to kill the Ranger and not offer the T6 in N America could be laid squarely on Derrick Kuzak's shoulders and he has since retired.

Also, the width of the F-150 is an issue. Sure, you can get a full size truck that is nearly as short as the longest Ranger but that is not the problem for most buyers. The F-150 is too wide to fit in my garage without folding the mirrors and then I can barely get the door open.

The T6 Ranger Wildtrak is nearly identical in size to my current Sport Trac. Sell it here with the 3.2L diesel (same engine as upcoming Transit), a NA 4 cylinder, the EB 2.0L or even the 3.5 or 3.7L NA V6. I would buy a T6 Wildtrak with the 3.7L yesterday.

You still have to find a place to build it to avoid the 25% tariff. It's not as simple as you think.

You still have to find a place to build it to avoid the 25% tariff. It's not as simple as you think.

Ford still has an extra shift of capacity between their truck plants. I've said it before. Put KC on three shifts and flex Dearborn to make the Ranger replacement or F100. Not to mention there will probably be excess capacity at KC on the Transit side. There are places to build it. Edited by Pioneer

Ford still has an extra shift of capacity between their truck plants. I've said it before. Put KC on three shifts and flex Dearborn to make the Ranger replacement or F100. Not to mention there will probably be excess capacity at KC on the Transit side. There are places to build it.

Last time I checked, Unibody vs Frame doesn't mix too well on the same assembly line.....

Then we get back to the ROW Ranger vs the F-150....it makes no sense to offer a compact truck that offers less capacity the the smallest F-150 with nearly the same "crappy" MPGs