Pope tells priests to buy "humble" cars...

While I believe the Pope's authority extends only to Catholics on religious matters and he should have no sway on secular government policy, there is no question that he holds enormous power to lead his huge flock by example. I like many of the things he is saying.

"It hurts me when I see a priest or a nun with the latest model car, you can't do this," he said.

"A car is necessary to do a lot of work, but please, choose a more humble one. If you like the fancy one, just think about how many children are dying of hunger in the world," he said'.

Much of the turmoil in the Church over the last generation has come from the loss of focus on following the example of Jesus and from the hierarchy not being held accountable. I think Pope Francis is trying to change the Church's direction for the better.

So far I like the new Pope and his message. Certainly ostentatious Hummers and Cadillacs are out of place. But even the average price of a new Focus is around $25 K I'd guess. Some priests take a vow of poverty, but some have a monied background like a trust fund also. I remember my Priest having a new 1969 Cougar (white/black vinyl top....subdued, not flashy but nice) and I thought it was cool!

"Before one starts flipping through the code to find more details on this subject, it’s important to realize that there is actually very little law in the Code of Canon Law pertaining to religious institutes.

So what does all this say about the pastor of Rick’s sister, the one who just bought another brand new car? Well, there is certainly no canonical prohibition preventing the clergy from owning cars, even new ones. Rick states that it is “one of the nicest cars in the whole parish,” but even this is not necessarily a violation of the law. True, if the car is far more luxurious than is really needed, it may have been an instance of poor judgment on the part of the priest. But if the pastor bought a sturdy new car because in his judgment it is important for him to have reliable transportation, his choice would certainly not be reprehensible."

http://catholicexchange.com/the-priesthood-and-the-vow-of-poverty/

"It hurts me when I see a priest or a nun with the latest model car, you can't do this," he said.

"A car is necessary to do a lot of work, but please, choose a more humble one. If you like the fancy one, just think about how many children are dying of hunger in the world," he said'.

The church could feed a lot more hungry children if it sold a bunch of those fancy pieces of property it ownes and hold mass in a more "humble" setting.

• Like 1

The church could feed a lot more hungry children if it sold a bunch of those fancy pieces of property it ownes and hold mass in a more "humble" setting.

Its apparent you're not a practicing Catholic.The church has been consolidating its churches for the past couple years and attempting to keep as many parishes open as possible. Church attendance is dismal. Today's society is more liberal and non-religious compared to years ago. In addition, the Archdiocese annually takes up to 30% from each parish to utilize funding for the poor hungry families and many other outreach programs. The parishes in return must struggle with their remaining revenue to operate...that includes all maintenance and upkeep...roof repairs, parking lots, furnaces, electrical/gas/water bill's etc...! They are already working in a humble environment.

Much of the turmoil in the Church over the last generation has come from the loss of focus on following the example of Jesus and from the hierarchy not being held accountable. I think Pope Francis is trying to change the Church's direction for the better.

I agree! I think Pope Francis is setting an excellent example, and I think he will be a great leader for the Catholic Church.

I agree...I'm a failed Roman Catholic myself, but I do really like what I've seen and heard from Pope Francis so far.

It's never too late to come back! :)

I think Pope Francis is trying to change the Church's direction for the better.

Changing the Church for the better by driving a Focus is about 13,043th on the list. And I read Richard's post after I wrote mine, so this is the nicest thing I can say.

And FTR, I was raised Catholic, attended Catholic school and attended Church regularly until I graduated from high school. But, I can't write another word here without...nope, can't even write that. And that's actually sad, to be honest.

Edited by BrewfanGRB

Fair warning:

I will nuke this thread if it degenerates. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. None of you are going to convince anyone else of your opinions on this subject, so if you don't like the subject, please refrain from commenting.

Absolutely Richard...it was a thread about a subject that involved a Ford vehicle and it's impact on the life a very powerful world figure....what you perceive of his (the Popes...) faith or what your take on the catholic church is irrelevant.....I agree with Richards' sentiments, if it degenerates to a mindless argument over religion, lock up it...

Edited by twintornados

People lost interest in a structure that was more keen to protect its own image than truly practice what they preach. They stay at home and read the bible and pray.

Most of the time people go to church is a sense of community that it can bring, not the religious part of it. Speaking on very general terms, in my own experience, most people who are very religious are often the most intolerant/judgemental people out there of others.

Its apparent you're not a practicing Catholic.The church has been consolidating its churches for the past couple years and attempting to keep as many parishes open as possible. Church attendance is dismal. Today's society is more liberal and non-religious compared to years ago. In addition, the Archdiocese annually takes up to 30% from each parish to utilize funding for the poor hungry families and many other outreach programs. The parishes in return must struggle with their remaining revenue to operate...that includes all maintenance and upkeep...roof repairs, parking lots, furnaces, electrical/gas/water bill's etc...! They are already working in a humble environment.

I'm not a Catholic, but I was married to one . The Bishop of the Pittsburgh Diocese often attends the Jewish High Holy Day services at the Temple i attend and I have met him on a few occasions. When Bishop Zubik took over, one of the first things he did was to sell the Bishop's mansion (which had been donated to the Diocese many years ago) and move into the Seminary. The Church has consolidated many churches in the past decade, much to the consternation of many parishoners as many Pittsburgh Churches were established by the nationality of their immigrant founders. It was not uncommon to have a Polish church, an Italian one and an Irish one in fairly close proximity.

Changing the Church for the better by driving a Focus is about 13,043th on the list.

It's called setting a good example, showing that you don't need the best of everything.

I would say setting an example you want others to follow is right near #1 on the list, whether it is for changing the Church or getting your kids to brush their teeth every night.

It's good that the new Pope wants church leaders to set an example, but there is nothing wrong, in my opinion, with enjoying cars and driving while being a priest or a nun.

It's one thing to drive a BMW 3-Series solely because of status concerns, but I see nothing wrong with driving, say, a Focus ST or even a Mustang GT because you appreciate the engineering that went into the vehicle. It's healthy for people to have interests outside of their job, whether the job is accountant or priest.

And I'd love to see a nun autocross a Focus ST.

I grew up in the Methodist Church, and during the 1970s, our minister drove a 1978 Dodge Diplomat sedan, which was a perfect fit. (He had two daughters, one of which was my age. She was one of my best friends, and the stories I could tell about preacher's kids...). The Dodge wasn't pretentious or expensive, but it also didn't make it look as though the congregation was paying poverty wages to the minister.

Their second car, however, was a 1976 Chevrolet Vega sedan. I rode in that car many times, and it always seemed like some sort of divine punishment.

Was it divine wrath, or the wrath of GM beancounters...?

Edited by grbeck

I once bought a Mustang convertible from a Priest. He actually didn't own it as all property is transferred to the church and he had to get written permission to sell it. This transaction took a lot of time as the Priest didn't know what he had to go through hoops to be able to sell it. I would not go through a sale like this again.

Edited by hermans

I live next to the pastoral home of a local methodonian church, and I can tell you the houses are on this street are far from humble. Not sure why they would pick such a large house for a pastoral house. New one just moved in actually and introduced myself when they were moving in...I got a speech about America, Apple Pie, Yankee Doodle Dandy and what he wanted to usher into his church, so I turn around, "Hmm hey i'm all for America and Apple Pie, but is that a Japanese truck parked on your driveway?"...Hm yeah that killed that. Then I pointed over to the corners of my house and the cameras that are pointed towards his home and why I put up a 500ft hedge along our property line and the history as to why. I do appreciate how this new Pope is wanting to be humble, being humble must start at the top and trickle down onto his other people then parishoners/followers.