MKC Final Form Pics

No Leather Leather

Thanks for the first hand advice.

The US Lincoln website used the term "available" which is a little confusing until you read on and see

that "available" also applies to to the cargo space. Why didn't they just say standard leather trim. :doh:

And no matter where the road leads, the MKC will carry you and your most precious cargo comfortably,

with available Bridge of WeirTM leather-trimmed seating for five and available 25.2 cu. ft. of rear cargo space

Edited by jpd80

here is another nasty Canadian article

http://www.wheels.ca/news/lincoln-mkc-crossover-revealed/

The thing that kills me is the amount of ignorance it comes to writing articles when it comes to MFT equipped vehicles...this guy is harping about knobs coming back on MFT/MLT...when they never went away!

Why even worry about a knob when you can change the volume and station/song all from your steering wheel?

The thing that kills me is the amount of ignorance it comes to writing articles when it comes to MFT equipped vehicles...this guy is harping about knobs coming back on MFT/MLT...when they never went away!

Why even worry about a knob when you can change the volume and station/song all from your steering wheel?

Knobs like to worry about knobs? :)

• Like 1

I asked about the seating surfaces on their twitter account, but their marketing folks just skirted the question and sent me to the website (they probably don't even know, 3rd party companies mostly run these accounts)

post-6726-0-95288500-1384557208.png

I speak marketing... :sos:

I think they are saying "premium leather" (usually means full leather) is optional. That means leather seating surface is implied as standard (which I think is correct). The standard seat back and side are probably either leatherette or some other material and the front area and headrest are leather. That's how Audi and Lexus do it in the US market... leather seating surface is standard across the board. They both offer optional premium leather seats that cover the entire seat - usually requires some sort of premium package.

Edited by bzcat

I speak marketing... :sos:

I think they are saying "premium leather" (usually means full leather) is optional. That means leather seating surface is implied as standard (which I think is correct). The standard seat back and side are probably either leatherette or some other material and the front area and headrest are leather. That's how Audi and Lexus do it in the US market... leather seating surface is standard across the board. They both offer optional premium leather seats that cover the entire seat - usually requires some sort of premium package.

That would make sense, most Ford products are leather seating surfaces only....I have no problem with that in lower end Lincoln models.

• 4 weeks later...

The answer is in.........

Leatherette it is!

From the build and price:

post-6726-0-51453400-1387298994.png

Also from the press release about pricing (looks like they are calling it Lincoln Soft Touch Seating):

-First-row seats: 10-way power driver's seat with two-way power lumbar and memory; four-way power front-passenger seat with power recline; heated first-row seats; Lincoln Luxury Soft Touch seating surfaces

Edited by Intrepidatious

Disappointed that I'll have to stop trashing MB & BMW for fake leather.

But I'm hoping that this Lincoln variant doesn't spend years outgassing those weird VOCs that you can smell the instant you open the door of a base-level 3 or C.

If you genuinely think that luxury vehicles shouldn't be using fake leather, stick to your guns. Don't change your opinion just because Lincoln now offers it as well. Voice your opinion to them, maybe this will be a short-lived item.

Me? It doesn't really bother me. If it looks and feels like leather (or even more comfy then leather as some have noted), ages well and it ticks a couple bucks off the price vs a leather equipped version, it can be made of recycled peanut butter jars for all I care (I'll even take the peanut butter smell). But I can see why it may bother some to be getting imitation leather in a luxury vehicle. Like you have noted, it doesn't seem to deter the base level 3 / C buyers.

Disappointed that I'll have to stop trashing MB & BMW for fake leather.

But I'm hoping that this Lincoln variant doesn't spend years outgassing those weird VOCs that you can smell the instant you open the door of a base-level 3 or C.

The base series MKC is only there as a price leader. It's scheduled for an 8% mix, and the only options you can order are AWD, a cargo mat, and 3 optional paint colors. No NAV or other goodies. To me it seems hardly worth the effort.

I also have trashed the Germans for their "leatherette" interiors, but I haven't checked lately as to what option restrictions they might have on those base interiors.

I should mention that at one time Lincoln was going to be genuine leather and genuine wood. But from reading forums, it's evident that a lot of people always assumed that Lincoln used plastic wood even if they didn't. So much for good intentions.

Edited by Austin

No Nav? Seems odd. I thought Ford was doing a cheap in-unit nav upgrade for all MFT equipped vehicles. Or do they expect you're going to use your phone's nav?

Sorry, to make myself clear, there is no nav (or virtually any other options) available on the base series which has leatherette. When you move up to the mid series, you get leather, and nav is available. On the top series, nav is standard.

...I should mention that at one time Lincoln was going to be genuine leather and genuine wood. But from reading forums, it's evident that a lot of people always assumed that Lincoln used plastic wood even if they didn't. So much for good intentions.

umm

I thought all Lincolns DO use real wood

&

I only played with the configurator briefly but

adding in your comment;

Does the Premiere only come with aluminum(Look?**) interior trim?

AND Select & Reserve get REAL STUFF?

**IS it painted plastic on the Premiere?????

umm

&

I only played with the configurator briefly but

adding in your comment;

Does the Premiere only come with aluminum(Look?**) interior trim?

AND Select & Reserve get REAL STUFF?

**IS it painted plastic on the Premiere?????

The build and price indicates Aluminum trim on the Premiere. No reason to believe it isn't real aluminum.

I think he's referring to perceptions, not reality--there are people driving 2nd Gen LSes who think its real American Walnut Burl trim is plastic. It's partly because the veneer is on a plastic substrate and partly because of the finish (which is designed to be durable in the harsh environment of a car), but people who don't know better just assume that it's plastic "wud" (which, in fairness, the 1st Gen LS had).

Edited by SoonerLS

I knew my 2nd generation had the real stuff :-) and personally, I'm not sure why wood has stuck around inside vehicles for all this years. Personally I think it's tacky. I dont care to feel "warm" inside a vehicle. A vehicle is made from numerous industrial items, steel, aluminum, etc. not sure why wood was ever introduced in it, its like having barb-wire decor at a baby's nursery...

The base series MKC is only there as a price leader. It's scheduled for an 8% mix, and the only options you can order are AWD, a cargo mat, and 3 optional paint colors. No NAV or other goodies. To me it seems hardly worth the effort.

I'm guessing a lot of them will end up being in the loaner fleets of dealerships. I sure hope Lincoln plans to stop putting customers into Fords.

I'm fairly certain that hasn't been entirely implemented yet.

I was almost right... the 2011 guidebook requires for 80% of customers to have been given a Lincoln loaner upon follow-up.

Lincoln told dealers earlier this month that 80 percent of customers Ford follows up with after a service appointment need to have been granted a Lincoln loaner car.

Dealers have until September 1 (2011) to comply with Ford's new standards, or else they'll lose part of their discounted purchase price for new cars, a move that could make competition difficult.

Tsk tsk. No reason that shouldn't be 100%.

In talking to the guys here, they interpret it to leave in some pad room to account for customers' whose needs aren't met by the available Lincoln loaner... Let's say a guy brings in his Mark LT for service and isn't happy with the MKZ they try to give him.. A lot of times, he'd probably be happier with a truck off the used lot.