MKC gets new 2.3 Ecoboost engine option.

LINK

NEW YORK -- With the 2015 MKC being introduced here today, Lincoln is taking aim at one of the fastest growing

segments in the industry -- compact premium crossovers.

As Ford Motor Co.'s luxury brand has fallen far behind German, U.S. and Japanese rivals -- Lincoln's U.S. sales have

slipped 3 percent through the first 10 months this year in a market that has grown 8 percent -- it is targeting segments

in which it can quickly establish a presence.

The MKC will battle nameplates such as the Acura RDX, Audi Q5, Mercedes-Benz GLK and BMW X3 that dominate the segment.

Other upscale brands such as Lexus, Porsche and Cadillac also plan to enter the segment.

IHS Automotive projects the small premium crossover market will grow from an estimated 204,472 units this year to 289,202 units

in 2015. "As a challenger luxury brand, entering this segment is a natural next step for us," Jim Farley, Ford executive vice president

of global marketing, sales, service and Lincoln, said in a statement. He predicted the MKC "will change the way people think about Lincoln."

Open field

The MKC is being touted as the second vehicle in the reinvention of Lincoln. The first, the revamped MKZ sedan, went on sale this year.

Lincoln sees a more open field in the compact premium crossover space than in the mid-sized premium sedan segment where the redesigned

MKZ, which was dogged by launch delays, has to compete against the likes of the venerable BMW 3 series, Mercedes-Benz C class and Lexus ES.

"In C-D premium, there are 18 cars," says Matt VanDyke, global director of Lincoln. "It's a battleground. The playing field [in compact premium crossovers]

isn't as established yet." IHS Automotive projects MKC sales in the United States will total 22,490 in 2014 and 25,546 in 2015.

Dealers waiting

Dealers will have to wait a while longer. The MKC is scheduled to arrive in U.S. showrooms in late spring or early summer. Lincoln MKC output is scheduled

to begin in the second quarter of 2014 at Ford's Louisville, Ky., assembly plant, where the Ford Escape is also produced, Ford said today.

Though several competitors have offerings, Lincoln hopes to get a jump on other rivals, including the Lexus LF-NX, also due to arrive next summer.

Lincoln says the compact premium crossover segment has grown 25 percent since 2012 and more than 200 percent since 2009 as new luxury buyers gain

affluence and owners shift from larger to smaller luxury vehicles. Lincoln, which has had one of the industry's oldest U.S. customer bases, is searching for

younger consumers it calls "culturally progressive." The brand is focusing particularly on winning new customers on the East and West coasts.Lincoln dealers,

who have been starved for new product, have been eagerly awaiting the MKC after its introduction as a concept at the 2013 Detroit auto show.

No Escape clone

Lincoln's product development team set out to create a vehicle that could not be confused with the Escape, its platform sibling.

The "tarted-up Ford" accusation has been leveled at other Lincolns in the past. Lincoln, in an effort to differentiate its products and meet the expectations of

its luxury customers, now has its own design studio and engineering team. "That platform wouldn't do it for us," said Lisa Drake, chief engineer of Lincoln vehicles

. "We decided to deviate from the platform and widen the track. We had to drop the center of gravity and lower and widen the stance." The MKC is about an inch

wider than the Escape. That might not seem like much, but the MKC looks lower and wider than the Escape. Seating positions are different too.

The MKC, designed for both the North American and Chinese markets, is also the first Ford Motor Co. vehicle to feature a new 2.3-liter, four-cylinder EcoBoost engine. One of the most distinctive features of the MKC's design is the wraparound rear liftgate, which carries over from the MKC Concept. The tailgate required

"an enormous collaborative effort from the Lincoln design and engineering teams," Lincoln said in a statement. The liftgate gives the rear a wide view and an airy

feel. "Our design team worked tirelessly to create a vehicle that attracts new customers to the brand while meeting the expectations of longtime Lincoln drivers,"

Max Wolff, director of Lincoln design, said in a statement.

Push-button shifting

The interior also features Lincoln's push-button gear-shifting system, introduced first in the MKZ and now a core Lincoln characteristic.

David Sullivan, analyst for AutoPacific, said of the MKC: "I'm pretty sure that thing might hit the nail on the head for that segment. It looks nothing like an Escape. They're going down the right path.

"It really is a different car from the Escape -- different suspension, different brakes different powertrain. It's going to handle and sound different from Escape."

Toning down MyLincoln Touch Inside, the MKC has a unique instrument panel.

One big difference between the MKC and the MKZ is that the MKC has volume and tuning knobs for the radio, while the MKZ has only capacitive switches owners swipe from side to side.

The knobs signal that Lincoln and Ford continue to move away from the touch-screen based systems that have given the company fits in quality surveys of consumers. Many owners have found the MyLincoln Touch system and the similar MyFord Touch to be complicated and trouble prone, contributing to drops

in quality surveys for both brands. In the new MKC, customers can interact with the vehicle remotely via a smartphone-enabled feature called the MyLincoln

Mobile app. The MKC has an embedded modem to communicate with the app so customers can start, lock, unlock and locate the vehicle and set interior

temperature. It's a first for Lincoln. With the MKC, Lincoln is introducing a suite of technologies called "Lincoln Experiences."

When the owner approaches the MKC, an electronic signal turns on lights that create rectangles of light on the ground outside the car. Lincoln calls them

"welcome mats." Van Dyke says the lights "are all about creating a warm, personal driving experience every time a Lincoln owner approaches their vehicle."

Four-cylinder strategy

Lincoln will offer two four-cylinder EcoBoost engines: the entry level 2.0-liter EcoBoost and the new 2.3-liter EcoBoost. Unlike most other manufacturers in the

segment, Ford will not offer a V-6 engine. Though ratings aren't official yet, Drake says the 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine should generate about 275 hp and 300

pounds-feet of torque. That compares with 300 hp and 300 pounds-feet of torque for the 3.0-liter inline-six offered in the BMW X3.

The MKC also will play a key role as Lincoln prepares to launch sales in the Chinese market in late 2014. SUVs and crossovers continue to grow in popularity

in China, the world's biggest light-vehicle market, but where Ford is a latecomer.

Lincoln has lined up a group of dealers for the China launch and the brand projects its Chinese customers will be younger than those in the United States. Lincoln has been using a mock-up dealership in a suburban Shanghai warehouse to woo dealers and showcase the brand. In August, Lincoln unveiled plans to offer the

premium Black Label trim level and customer experience. VanDyke said Black Label versions of the MKC will be offered soon after the launch. VanDyke is under

no illusions that Lincoln has a large window to launch the MKC in a growing segment with few competitors. "I think it's relatively short. Lexus has been clear about

their intentions," he said. "But it does give us a fresh place to play."

You can reach Bradford Wernle at bwernle@crain.com.

Edited by jpd80

It's bigger than the Escape.

Lincoln's product development team set out to create a vehicle that could not be confused with the Escape, its platform sibling.

The "tarted-up Ford" accusation has been leveled at other Lincolns in the past. Lincoln, in an effort to differentiate its products

and meet the expectations of its luxury customers, now has its own design studio and engineering team.

"That platform wouldn't do it for us," said Lisa Drake, chief engineer of Lincoln vehicles .

"We decided to deviate from the platform and widen the track. We had to drop the center

of gravity and lower and widen the stance." The MKC is about an inch wider than the Escape.

That might not seem like much, but the MKC looks lower and wider than the Escape.

Seating positions are different too.

• Like 1

I'm not as knowledgeable on the ecoboost program as many here, but wasn't the newer generation (including the 2.3) suppose to be higher power per litre? Or is the 2.3 still using the current generation tech on ecoboost? Because the what he suggests the 2.3 will only have 275 HP which comes out to 120HP per litre like the 2.0 EB. I understand that he said the numbers haven't been released, and perhaps he was just making a conservative guess based on the output of the current EB engines.

That's pretty cool that inside the door handles light up when you approach it, but the "welcome mat" is like a tarted up puddle light! ;)

It is a tarted up puddle light. But it's unique. Sort of reminds me of the bat signal. I can see folks trying to add these to their Fords with custom images.

Looks nice - I like the wide stance.

It is a tarted up puddle light. But it's unique. Sort of reminds me of the bat signal. I can see folks trying to add these to their Fords with custom images.

There's already some on ebay since the 2013 came with the lighted Pony.

I'm not as knowledgeable on the ecoboost program as many here, but wasn't the newer generation (including the 2.3) suppose to be higher power per litre?

I don't know if this new mill is "new" or "old" EB technology, but HP isn't everything. As they say, HP is what gives you the top end, but torque is what gets you there, and that mill is tuned to deliver the torque. Those "pretty good HP with high torque" numbers are almost diesel-like figures...

• Like 1

I don't know if this new mill is "new" or "old" EB technology, but HP isn't everything. As they say, HP is what gives you the top end, but torque is what gets you there, and that mill is tuned to deliver the torque. Those "pretty good HP with high torque" numbers are almost diesel-like figures...

I can chirp the tires from a 15 mph rolling start in my 2.0EB Fusion. That torque comes on really early. The 2.3L should be a beast in a lighter vehicle.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I agree with that! The LB-FT per litre numbers come out relatively the same there as well though. And with that said, I'm not saying I'm disappointed in the numbers, just thought they were supposed to be a bit higher with the newer tech.

Edited by jinx8402

An optional engine that gives you 30 more torques, a tailgate that people are making a big deal over for some reason, and a phone app.

Good luck Lincoln. You certainly need it.

Troll, troll, troll your boat.

Anyways. Is the compact Lexus crossover really going to be called the LF-NX?? :headscratch: :

Didn't quite agree with this note either:

The knobs signal that Lincoln and Ford continue to move away from the touch-screen based systems

They aren't moving away from touch-screen based systems at all. Just changing the secondary controls, which I agree with. Give users the option of physical or touch. The buttons and knobs look great in this iteration.

• Like 1

An optional engine that gives you 30 more torques, a tailgate that people are making a big deal over for some reason, and a phone app.

Good luck Lincoln. You certainly need it.

Jesus EB, ever thought of becoming a Motivational Speaker..........for suicide bombers......"Im only going to show you this ONCE......."....

• Like 2

To make this more Ford related, I'm assuming this is going to be the same engine as in the 2015 Mustang, but with more HP?

With that being said, what hell is the hold up with doing a Fusion ST with the same engine ;)

And I'm sure the Focus RS will use the same power plant as what will be in the 2015 Mustang I4 too...

To make this more Ford related, I'm assuming this is going to be the same engine as in the 2015 Mustang, but with more HP?

That's the rumor.

With that being said, what hell is the hold up with doing a Fusion ST with the same engine ;)

Resources and engine availability. I expect we'll see a Fusion ST concept in a couple of months.

"The MKC will battle nameplates such as the Acura RDX, Audi Q5, Mercedes-Benz GLK and BMW X3 that dominate the segment."

Those are the next segment up aren't they? I though the Q3, X1 and GLA were MKC fodder? :P To me the MKX goes against the likes of those listed...

Width seems to be the main differentiation between the compact and midsize CUV segment.

Q5 which is somewhat considered a class benchmark exactly splits the difference in length between Escape and Edge. However, Q5 is significantly wider than Escape.

The new MKC will be almost the same length as Q5 and almost as wide so yea, it is definitely aimed at the same segment as Q5/RDX/X3/GLK and upcoming Lexus NX. It will tower over Q3/X1/GLA.