Lincoln Teases (Likely) MKX Concept to debut in China

Apparently these aren't cd3 or cd4. They're hand built prototypes that won't share anything with the new production models. At least the Edge concept:

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/03/19/behind-scenes-2015-ford-edge-concept/

Well of course - they're concepts. Hell, for all we know there's panther in there. But the production models based on the concepts will, most likely, be CD4.

I not saying offer every punch that BMW is offering but just at least get in the ring with them. A good solution is offer a volume competior (X5/X6 and X3). The closest domestic competitor that meets that is the Grand Cherokee.

The term volume competitor and Luxury Utility should not be used in the same sentence, even with the BMW badge the X5 struggles to get much over 3,000/mth.

While Grand Cherokee in upper trim levels could be called a Premium brand.....it's a stretch to association it to a genuine Luxury Utility like the BMW X5.

RWD Is not mandatory, what is essential is great design and styling - MKT falls woefully short but IMO, a better mousetrap on V6 EB Flex or Explorer would suffice.

Edited by jpd80

This is ok but boring, I wont run out and buy one. What Lincoln (and any other domestic lux make) needs is a rwd sport luxury crossover. The Germans and Japans have theirs and making money off of it, where's the x1 or x5 or even M class competiors from the US?.

You guys can bitch and cry about profits and Wal-Mart like ROIs meantime the imports are using rwd car platforms (along with bad reliabilty) and making tons of money in our own yard. It makes no sense that BM-Daaaba-u have a its largest factory in the US in a market our own carmakers dont compete in, its sad!..

Again with this. It's like a broken record for people. You don't have the data to conclude that people are buying these vehicles because they're RWD! Are there those who do buy them because they're RWD? Of course. Does a BMW handle the way it does merely it's RWD? No. Would the vast majority of buyers still buy it if it was FWD/AWD? Of course. And a large chunk of those buyers probably don't even know it's RWD! So why are they buying them? BECAUSE IT'S A BMW! You can't engineer or price that advantage away. Cadillac has tried...at a cost of BILLIONS. Is it a moderately successful brand? Sure, I suppose. Has it come close to supplanting BMW? Hell no...and it certainly hasn't made the progress you'd expect after spending $8 BILLION. You realize Lincoln is even further behind than Cadillac was when it started that investment.

The issue here is a misplaced expectation of what Lincoln should be/what it should do. It doesn't NEED to "beat" BMW, M-B, Audi, anyone. It simply needs grow on Ford's intended pace and be profitable. Like Kevin O'Leary says "I only care about the MONEY". THE CORPORATION'S ONLY REASON TO EXIST IS TO MAKE A PROFIT. It does not need to cater to the whims of people who will never buy their product (but say "if you only you'd build X, THEN I'd buy") or to try to beat entrenched competitors with dominant market share.

• Like 3

Well of course - they're concepts. Hell, for all we know there's panther in there. But the production models based on the concepts will, most likely, be CD4.

But there was no mention of the platform for the Edge concept and if it was going to be CD4 I would have expected to hear that or at least say it's on a new platform. Maybe because it was just a hand built prototype they didn't say one way or the other - but if this thing is going on sale in a few months you'd think we would have heard something by now.

But there was no mention of the platform for the Edge concept and if it was going to be CD4 I would have expected to hear that or at least say it's on a new platform. Maybe because it was just a hand built prototype they didn't say one way or the other - but if this thing is going on sale in a few months you'd think we would have heard something by now.

Theres been lots of spy shots of funny looking Galaxy and S-Max prototypes running around the past 2 years or so.

And we haven't heard anything changing at Oakville (AFAIK) this year either...

Oh found this from Feb

http://www.blueovalnews.com/Ford_Motor_Company_News/feb-13-2014-toronto-ford-selects-canadian-plant-to-build-all-new-global-utility-vehicle-for-export-to-more-than-60-countries.html

All New is the key words....

Edited by silvrsvt

Again with this. It's like a broken record for people. You don't have the data to conclude that people are buying these vehicles because they're RWD! Are there those who do buy them because they're RWD? Of course. Does a BMW handle the way it does merely it's RWD? No. Would the vast majority of buyers still buy it if it was FWD/AWD? Of course. And a large chunk of those buyers probably don't even know it's RWD! So why are they buying them? BECAUSE IT'S A BMW! You can't engineer or price that advantage away. Cadillac has tried...at a cost of BILLIONS. Is it a moderately successful brand? Sure, I suppose. Has it come close to supplanting BMW? Hell no...and it certainly hasn't made the progress you'd expect after spending $8 BILLION. You realize Lincoln is even further behind than Cadillac was when it started that investment.

The issue here is a misplaced expectation of what Lincoln should be/what it should do. It doesn't NEED to "beat" BMW, M-B, Audi, anyone. It simply needs grow on Ford's intended pace and be profitable. Like Kevin O'Leary says "I only care about the MONEY". THE CORPORATION'S ONLY REASON TO EXIST IS TO MAKE A PROFIT. It does not need to cater to the whims of people who will never buy their product (but say "if you only you'd build X, THEN I'd buy") or to try to beat entrenched competitors with dominant market share.

Nonsense. If this were a rear-wheel-drive crossover based on the Panther platform and styled to look like a 1979 Continental Town Car, Ford wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand. Correct?

• Like 3

I not saying offer every punch that BMW is offering but just at least get in the ring with them. A good solution is offer a volume competior (X5/X6 and X3). The closest domestic competitor that meets that is the Grand Cherokee.

Keep in mind the FWD-based Lexus RX's sales eat all the German SUVs' sales for lunch.

• Like 2

I get your point, but I see no reason for them to be on anything but a variation of CD4.

I get your point, but I see no reason for them to be on anything but a variation of CD4.

It's simply a timing thing - if the cd4 version wasn't going to be ready for a couple of years then it would make sense to do a same platform refresh.

Nonsense. If this were a rear-wheel-drive crossover based on the Panther platform and styled to look like a 1979 Continental Town Car, Ford wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand. Correct?

You forgot the bench seat and column shifter.

And no MFT. Or Ecoboost.

• Like 1

It's simply a timing thing - if the cd4 version wasn't going to be ready for a couple of years then it would make sense to do a same platform refresh.

I'll buy you a beer if Edge/MKX stays on CD3.

The weight and efficiency targets I've heard wouldn't possibly work on the old architecture.

These have always planned to be on CD4. Nothing has changed.

I'll buy you a beer if Edge/MKX stays on CD3.

The weight and efficiency targets I've heard wouldn't possibly work on the old architecture.

These have always planned to be on CD4. Nothing has changed.

Not doubting it - just noting that it hasn't been confirmed yet by Ford.

I suppose anything is possible, though I honestly think this Ford would wait an extra year or whatever to get it on the right platform rather than rushing a patch job out there just for the sake of redoing it.

I'm sure that TwinForce would be welcomed, though.

I always thought they should've used the TwinForce name for Lincoln products as a way to further differentiate the two.

I always thought they should've used the TwinForce name for Lincoln products as a way to further differentiate the two.

Twin Force implies that there are two turbos. That does exactly fit the bill with the 2.0 and 2.3 turbo 4's.

I don't mind the Twin Force name. I just don't think it applies well across the board for all turbo engines.

Twin Force implies that there are two turbos. That does exactly fit the bill with the 2.0 and 2.3 turbo 4's.

I don't mind the Twin Force name. I just don't think it applies well across the board for all turbo engines.

No, Twin Force means two 'forces': turbo and direct injection. At least, that was my (and many others') interpretation when the name was first used. I agree that it could be somewhat confusing though.

Edited by fordmantpw

No, Twin Force means two 'forces': turbo and direct injection. At least, that was my (and mother others') interpretation when the name was first used. I agree that it could be somewhat confusing though.

Correct, as usual.

Except for the "mother others" part........ :)

Edited by akirby

No, Twin Force means two 'forces': turbo and direct injection. At least, that was my (and many others') interpretation when the name was first used. I agree that it could be somewhat confusing though.

"Twin" implies "the same" though. There's nothing similar about turbos and direct injection. Perhaps "Multi Force" would make sense in that scenario.

"Twin" implies "the same" though. There's nothing similar about turbos and direct injection. Perhaps "Multi Force" would make sense in that scenario.

Exactly, which is why it is confusing. I remember someone at Ford stating that Twin Force meant Di & turbo charging.

How many people have called the turbos on the 6.4L Power Stroke 'twin' turboes, when in fact, they aren't twins at all. Well, maybe fraternal twins...

Doesn't matter - that's what they called it and that was their definition so it applies to all ecoboost engines whether it's one or two turbos.

http://paultan.org/2007/07/04/fords-new-twin-force-engines-to-debut-in-lincoln-mks/

http://themagsreport.blogspot.com/2007/07/fords-future-powertrain-direction.html

Doesn't matter - that's what they called it and that was their definition so it applies to all ecoboost engines whether it's one or two turbos.

http://paultan.org/2007/07/04/fords-new-twin-force-engines-to-debut-in-lincoln-mks/

http://themagsreport.blogspot.com/2007/07/fords-future-powertrain-direction.html

And their confusing definition is likely one of the reasons they changed it. :idea:

Edited by NickF1011